SV Frankinstine track bike build - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:49 AM   #1
Chaplain

Bikes: 02 Ape, 05 SV
SV Frankinstine track bike build

Decided to retire my Aprilia Mille R from a track bike to a street bike. In doing so I purchased a SV 650s as it's track replacement.

Previous owner had the SV setup for super stock club racing and out weighed me by a good 60lbs. I knew I would have some work to do in order to get bike properly setup for me as well as a number of other details to make it mine.

At first I was just going to clean, prep and change spring rates and valving. One thing let to another and now I have a fulbuild on my hands. Half ZX6R half SV650 with every part (outside of new Michelin Tires) being bought used off a couple different forums, eBay and of course Craigslist.

Why a ZX6R and not a traditional GSXR swap you ask? Well I don't have a smart answer for you other than; 1) I like the design of the Kawasaki swingarm, 2) there wheels are lighter and better looking imho and 3) I just wanted to do something different.

Im open to constructive comments and even criticism if it comes with a reason. Here are some pics to keep the thread interesting:
Swingarm notched to clear shock

Battery and rectifier were relocated and bike has been rewired.

A handful of parts were taken to Full Throttle Powdercoating in Corona .CA. All bearings were replaced afterwards.

Front forks are freshly rebuilt with Ohlins 25 carts inside and a Scotts damper up top. Top/bottom yokes shaved, milled bla bla bla.

How "Frankinstine SV" sits now, just need to build exhaust and tie up some loose ends. At the end of the day I made something different with my twist AND I sure hope it works.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Chaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2018, 12:59 AM   #2
Chaplain

Re: SV Frankinstine track bike build

FYI: I have a bin of leftover and mockup parts for sale from '05 SV, '03 GSXR, and 05-08 ZX6R.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
abru91

Bikes: 2004 Suzuki SV650S
Miles Kms: ~32000

Looks very interesting. Keep up the good work.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #4
Junkie

Bikes: 06 1k

Wow, interesting. I wonder what it would take to make that swingarm fit my SV1000... what year swingarm?

How long are the forks?
Old 05-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
Chaplain

07-08 I pulled parts from probably 4 or more ZX6R's to piece this all together. I have an extra swingarm (great shape) and a pair of forks (mockup shape) leftover.

Fork length was roughly the same as SV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Wow, interesting. I wonder what it would take to make that swingarm fit my SV1000... what year swingarm?

How long are the forks?
Old 05-15-2018, 11:50 PM   #6
Chaplain

I mentioned I rewired the bike. Part of that was to relocate the regulator to a cooler location. I'm sure an engineer much smarter than I found it best to mount it inside the frame next to the heat of the motor but I've never liked that. I mounted all the electronics in the tail with hopes that cool air will come in from under the seat and be pulled out through vents in the undertail.

I am struggling to sort out a trick mount for the Penske reservoir. Any ideas?

Old 05-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #7
festertruck

Bikes: sv650
Miles Kms: 12000

Looking good. I like the swingarm. Difficult to fit it?
festertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #8
festertruck

Bikes: sv650
Miles Kms: 12000

Keep posting. Would like to follow it until its conclusion and see how it all comes together
festertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
Chaplain

The world of internet airbox mods is full of variations. Here are a couple more.

Better A:

Better B:

Old 05-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #10
Junkie

Bikes: 06 1k

I remember seeing claims that dyno tests show stock + 1k snorkel is the best option
Advertisement