Finally happened... my first real crash on my SFV650 Gladius - Page 3 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #21
fafaforza

Bikes: '01 SV650, '05 CRF250X, '06 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 50000
Re: Finally happened... my first real crash on my SFV650 Gladius

Quote:
Originally Posted by F9zSlavik View Post
I had at least 3 to 4 cars worth of distance. That gets eaten up quickly if someone brakes card though I should of uploaded the video that has the GPS on it. I went from 65 to 45-40 before the hit. Why did that guy break that hard? Was he avoiding something? I find it hard to move the bike when breaking, I don't have this issue as much on my ninja 300. But I think I will take your advice and practice hard breaking again. Last time I did that on the freeway, the rear end came forward. Terrifying I was lucky the bike didnt throw me over.
You might want to look at your front forks. If you're heavier than like 155lb, you might want stiffer forks and thicker oil so that the front doesn't dive on hard braking.

Other than that, it's really worth to go out and practice emergency maneuvers so you know how the bike will react and how hard it can be pushed.

As far as why they would brake so hard, who knows, maybe they saw a duck in the road, or looked up from facebook to remember they were driving and panicked. You have to read the traffic. You can usually tell who the bad drivers are, and stay away from them, or leave extra room and cover your brakes.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #22
7thgear

Bikes: 2002 SV650N
Miles Kms: 27xxx+

Your video is giving me flashbacks. It's eerie how similar your accident was to mine. I started a thread about mine but do not have video footage:

https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394349

Basically the same thing happened at about the same speed and with very similar injuries to my leg and ankle. The cars in front of me slammed on their brakes, one car veered left, the other veered right. I felt like I had nowhere to go so I slammed on my brakes and front tire locked up and I took a spill.

IMO, there is no point in criticizing a rider for what they did or didn't do "in the moment". It all happens so fast that our reactions are just instinct. Unless you have a lot of training for emergency situations where you can react purely off of muscle memory, you are just going to do what your instinct is.

As you said, the best thing to do is to wear all the proper safety gear and ride very defensively.

You did a good job saving it after the impact. Good to see you walked away in one piece with nothing broken. Congested traffic like that on the highway is dangerous for riders; there is just no way to maintain a safe following distance because people constantly turn into your lane if you leave a big enough gap from the car in front of you. I avoid riding in those conditions whenever I can. Also I'm very cautious when riding on weekends after about 10pm because that's when the drunk drivers are out.
7thgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:13 PM   #23
snailman153624

Bikes: '04 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils View Post
What kind of idiot logic is it to teach someone to not cover the brakes so they have immediate access to them in an emergency.
Troll alert. Every post by this guy lately is just trolling.
snailman153624 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #24
Currently
Sometimes moderator

Bikes: It looks like a crotch rocket
Miles Kms: Never enough.

He does have a point.

I always covered my front brake with two fingers when riding.

My ring and pinkie were more than sufficient to maintain throttle.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:12 AM   #25
Devils

Bikes: 2017 Suzuki SV650A, Naked
Miles Kms: 22,200 Km

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailman153624 View Post
Oh right I'm a troll because being taught to use your brakes properly is definitely not a good idea?

I've been on here for 2 years, why would I be here just to be a troll? I'm sorry but I can't abide by stupidity and teaching someone to use brakes like he was taught is just stupid.

Last edited by Devils; 10-21-2019 at 04:23 AM.
Devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:19 AM   #26
Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currently View Post
He does have a point.

And foot hovering over the brake pedal as well. I really fail to see how this is a troll, calling an instructor out for being so idiotic as to teach people to not cover the brakes, so in the event on an emergency where they're more likely to panic, they potentially don't use them because they just freak out, whereas if you'd had them covered, you'd be more likely to use them, notice I didn't say press on them while you're riding @snailman.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #27
snailman153624

Bikes: '04 SV650

Quote:
And foot hovering over the brake pedal as well. I really fail to see how this is a troll, calling an instructor out for being so idiotic as to teach people to not cover the brakes, so in the event on an emergency where they're more likely to panic, they potentially don't use them because they just freak out, whereas if you'd had them covered, you'd be more likely to use them, notice I didn't say press on them while you're riding @snailman.
Resorting to namecalling and general rudeness in all of your posts unprovoked = trolling.

You can have your opinion, but you don't have to be a jerk. Also, covering the brake can be dangerous, particularly for a rider that's just starting out. Getting too grabby with the front brake when blindly reacting is likely to end in sliding the front wheel and crashing.

You should take a step back and reread your own posts before giving into the urge to reply.
snailman153624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #28
Devils

Name calling of whom? Are you an instructor? If not then it wasnt directed at you, so not trolling.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #29
F9zSlavik
Site Supporter

Bikes: Suzuki SFV650

Just wanted to give a major update. Allstate Investigator has determined that this was 100% my fault. I am beyond upset. I would of settled for 50 50 but no. They create the un safe driving condition and its my fault for not being able to react to that.

Quote:
What kind of idiot logic is it to teach someone to not cover the brakes so they have immediate access to them in an emergency.
Maybe so but the logic behind it was, since most bikes don't have ABS, you are much more likely to over react if you hand on your breaks vs having to place your hand on it. If you over react and slam on your break, you may create a even more dangerous situation. I had this happen to me once. But this logic can go both ways. I do not disagree or agree, I think it can apply to some situation at the very least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafaforza View Post
You might want to look at your front forks. If you're heavier than like 155lb, you might want stiffer forks and thicker oil so that the front doesn't dive on hard braking.

Other than that, it's really worth to go out and practice emergency maneuvers so you know how the bike will react and how hard it can be pushed.

As far as why they would brake so hard, who knows, maybe they saw a duck in the road, or looked up from facebook to remember they were driving and panicked. You have to read the traffic. You can usually tell who the bad drivers are, and stay away from them, or leave extra room and cover your brakes.
I'm about 155.
I couldn't read traffic ahead of me. Going up hill, my view was blocked all I could see was the car in front of me. I only regret is not staying near the middle of the lane, that would of giving me more visibility ahead. I had the room just went through my options before I settled for braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
Your video is giving me flashbacks. It's eerie how similar your accident was to mine. I started a thread about mine but do not have video footage:
https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394349
Basically the same thing happened at about the same speed and with very similar injuries to my leg and ankle. The cars in front of me slammed on their brakes, one car veered left, the other veered right. I felt like I had nowhere to go so I slammed on my brakes and front tire locked up and I took a spill.
IMO, there is no point in criticizing a rider for what they did or didn't do "in the moment". It all happens so fast that our reactions are just instinct. Unless you have a lot of training for emergency situations where you can react purely off of muscle memory, you are just going to do what your instinct is.

As you said, the best thing to do is to wear all the proper safety gear and ride very defensively.

You did a good job saving it after the impact. Good to see you walked away in one piece with nothing broken. Congested traffic like that on the highway is dangerous for riders; there is just no way to maintain a safe following distance because people constantly turn into your lane if you leave a big enough gap from the car in front of you. I avoid riding in those conditions whenever I can. Also I'm very cautious when riding on weekends after about 10pm because that's when the drunk drivers are out.
I haven't chad a chance to explore your thread but I will because I am curious. And yes your story sounds exactly like mine! And that's what I keep telling people, its easy to criticise and say "oh well you should of done this or that or whatever" but when you in that situation, like you sais, instincts kick in. It's interesting that you said you avoid traffic andnight time driving. A friend of mine who has about 10 years worth of riding experience, went out on a known road where the speed limit is about 25. He was in his car and was rear ended. The truck that hit him was going 80and now he has spinal cord damager. Weird how some motorist crash at high speeds and get off with a few bruises.

Who did the insurance determined was at fault? My insurance said I WAS AT FAULT. Which is lame I am definitely going to try and dispute it.

Quote:
If he is, the best thing to do is ignore him. I just want to share my story and hope that someone can learn from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currently View Post
He does have a point.

I get the logic, my training class said otherwise because you may over react and potentially create an even more dangerous position.

Quote:
Oh right I'm a troll because being taught to use your brakes properly is definitely not a good idea?

I've been on here for 2 years, why would I be here just to be a troll? I'm sorry but I can't abide by stupidity and teaching someone to use brakes like he was taught is just stupid.
I see where you are coming from, but the instructors that taught me had decades of experience. I'm not saying either or is better, I simply went with what I was taught, evade if all possible, break HARD if you got nothing else, but to never have you hand over the break or foot for that matter.

Few times that I had to break, I almost created an even worse situation. I learned to evade effectively. I failed in this one case.

Quote:
Thanks for you feed back and like said I don't really have a stance on this. The instructors were very experienced and have been riding for some time. This was in San Diego, there arent many schools for motorcycle and some people here know them. See above reply. Maybe this applies for newbies.

Quote:
Resorting to namecalling and general rudeness in all of your posts unprovoked = trolling.

You can have your opinion, but you don't have to be a jerk. Also, covering the brake can be dangerous, particularly for a rider that's just starting out. Getting too grabby with the front brake when blindly reacting is likely to end in sliding the front wheel and crashing.

You should take a step back and reread your own posts before giving into the urge to reply.
Agreed, your assessment which is what the instructor said about getting to "grabby" with the breaks.
F9zSlavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:35 PM   #30
F9zSlavik
Site Supporter

Bikes: Suzuki SFV650

1 more thing guys

I need to replace my Radiator for my SFV650. I am having a terrible luck finding a radiator. Do they sell after market radiators for my bike?
F9zSlavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement