Finally happened... my first real crash on my SFV650 Gladius - Page 2 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #11
sv650 ray

Bikes: 99 sv 650 race bike
Miles Kms: unknown
Like they said 20/20 hindsight is easy to be critical. Not criticizing but as a learning comment you had good clearance between you and the cars in front. While they braked hard if you had reacted immediately and got in the brakes hard you probably could have stopped in time. Of course the issue is what about the people behind you - hard braking may cause them to rear end. Braking and escape route concurrently are the best but not always possible. Glad nothing too serious. Things can happen fast out there and it is easy for us to sit in our chairs and criticize- I hope that’s not how I’m coming across because I don’t mean it that way.
sv650 ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 09:14 PM   #12
RecoilRob

Bikes: '07 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 43379
Re: Finally happened... my first real crash on my SFV650 Gladius

Riding in heavy traffic sucks bad....but a minimum of 2 second following distance should be kept or things like this can happen to you. Looks like you were about a second which just isn't enough time especially considering that most cars can out-brake a bike...got to leave more room.

But if you DO leave that necessary room, some idiot will surely cut into your space as they jocky through the traffic. Being around so many cages at the same time is just plain dangerous...as you found out.
RecoilRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:08 PM   #13
doublezero

This video is why I don't commute to work on my bike. Thanks for sharing. I see a couple of ways this accident could have been avoided. But I'll refrain from that commentary. We all know the risks of being on two wheels. Just earn from this incident and be thankful you are OK. It could have been much worse!
doublezero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2019, 10:11 PM   #14
doublezero

I meant learn not earn
doublezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:37 AM   #15
Devils

Bikes: 2017 Suzuki SV650A, Naked
Miles Kms: 22,200 Km

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post
Riding in heavy traffic sucks bad....but a minimum of 2 second following distance should be kept or things like this can happen to you. Looks like you were about a second which just isn't enough time especially considering that most cars can out-brake a bike...got to leave more room.

But if you DO leave that necessary room, some idiot will surely cut into your space as they jocky through the traffic. Being around so many cages at the same time is just plain dangerous...as you found out.
\

cages cant jockey around in traffic
Devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:19 AM   #16
fafaforza

Bikes: '01 SV650, '05 CRF250X, '06 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 50000

Can't really see much that you did wrong before the slowdown. You had good following distance, etc.

Can't hear when you got on the brakes, but you had a good window of time to swerve. Even a foot to the left would have kept you from the impact. I've had to do that in similar situations, and it's a good move to have in your arsenal.

Once on the Brooklyn Bridge, guy brakes so hard, he throws a cloud of tire smoke at me. I was able to swerve and go between traffic. Really lucky escape there.

Maybe go to a parking lot and practice hard braking and swerving. You pretty much press on the left handlebar to swerve left.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #17
Maddevill

Bikes: 2005 SV650

Not trying to be a jerk, but I have trouble with the statement "Braking is the last option." That mindset probably delayed your using maximum braking to stop. Braking should be always one of the most important things on your mind. In most cases, a bike can stop quicker than a car.

Mad
Maddevill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #18
snailman153624

Bikes: '04 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
Not trying to be a jerk, but I have trouble with the statement "Braking is the last option." That mindset probably delayed your using maximum braking to stop. Braking should be always one of the most important things on your mind. In most cases, a bike can stop quicker than a car.

Mad
Please, cite the source of your claim. Every study I've seen shows cars outbraking bikes, period. Then, try to do it while swerving and see which one stops sooner (hint, it's not the bike).
snailman153624 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:19 AM   #19
F9zSlavik
Site Supporter

Bikes: Suzuki SFV650

Thank you all for responding.

One thing to note, go pro was running at 30 frames per second. THings happened real quick. I know its easy to say "oh well I would of done this or that". I have evaded worse situations but this got me stump. "Go left no go right no, break oops too late". That little gap that opened up to the left of me opened at the last second when I was already braking. Your not maneuvering the bike while you are breaking. Also, my bike does NOT have abs, hard break could of led to something much worse.

As for my recovery, my knee is full of fluid. I am massaging it and putting ice on it. Got it where I made some of the liquid go away and it hurts to bend the knee. My ankle is still swollen but I can almost kneel down on it. I am starting to find other areas where I am jacked up that are not making their prensece known.

Insurance company did say that due to the video, it may very well be a 50 50 fault here unless if they determine that the car drivers created an unsafe driving condition because they were tail gating. I am still waiting to hear back
Regardless of what your opinion is, stay safe, wear your wear, and always have a cam on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf View Post
Thanks for posting that. It's a reminder to everyone out there to be vigilant. Practice your threshold braking frequently. If you can't stop you can at least scrub off as much speed as possible. In traffic I tend to ride with fingers on the front brake at all times. Even an instant of delay can greatly affect the outcome. Glad you came out of it relatively intact. There have been times I've gotten out of a tight situation with an evasive maneuver. Last year running about 75 I had to evade by diving between a car (made a quick lane change without looking) and the jersey barrier. That route was taken away from you. Amazing how fast your mind works in those situations.
I am glad that you see that, everything happened to quickly i tried to think of a way out but that split second it took me to say "cant do that" it was already too late to make another split second decision. I agree, stay VERY vigilant and ALWAYS wear your gear!! I wish I had my armor pants. I am in so much pain. I was taught in my motorcycle class not to have you hand or feet on the break as it may cause you to break more than you would of and possibly create a worse or more dangerous situation. Thank you for you feed back sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
I know hindsight is 20/20 and all, but I think your instinct of left then right was correct. Watching the video, you had a corridor to the left of the car you hit and then to the right of the car after it. Braking while taking that course would have gotten you through unscathed. Hope it doesn't happen again, but if you've trained for evasive maneuvering, then trust your instinct and follow thru.
Thank you and I appreciate your feedback. That gaped when it opened up, I had already made the decision to try and bank right and after that I started braking hard which caused my bike to stay up right. I wasn't going anywhere but straight ;/ What I should of done is stayed in the middle of the lanes as if I was split laning WHICH IS WHAT I NORMALLY DO! And I will admit, I was a bit relaxed because I was not lane splitting. The sense of danger was at an all time low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv650 ray View Post
Like they said 20/20 hindsight is easy to be critical. Not criticizing but as a learning comment you had good clearance between you and the cars in front. While they braked hard if you had reacted immediately and got in the brakes hard you probably could have stopped in time. Of course the issue is what about the people behind you - hard braking may cause them to rear end. Braking and escape route concurrently are the best but not always possible. Glad nothing too serious. Things can happen fast out there and it is easy for us to sit in our chairs and criticize- I hope thatís not how Iím coming across because I donít mean it that way.
Thank you for your commend. And yeah that is why breaking was my last resort. I don't remember how close the car behind me was but its safe to say they were close since everyone was tail gating. The last time I breaked hard at those speeds I almost lost control of the bike which is why I have trained myself to evade first break as a last resort. It's easy to say" do this do that" when watching the video, I had 2 maybe 3 seconds to react, and I had a GOOD AMOUNT of clearance ahead, they braked so hard I feel like I went through all my options in a split second and it was too late ;/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post

It does suck but it is what it is. Gas prices in SD are about 4.50 a gallon. Driving means I am stuck in traffic 3 hours a day, which is why I ride. As far as the driving distance, keep in mind that the video is at 30 frames a second. I had about 2 maybe 2.5 maybe 3 seconds of space, all of which got eaten up when the cars hit the bakes at full.

I give you this example. I was once driving in my car and about a mile away, I saw a car head. Little did I know that this car was not moving. I came up to that car SO FAST, it seemed unreal. Instead of breaking, I floored it which cause the wheels to grip and I managed to move out the way. After a short fish tail, I manage to get control. It's easy to judge and make a commend on a video but its much different when you are there at the moment having to make a decision.

And I agree, I have had idiots PUSH ME OUT OF MY LANE while making eye contact. People dont care. I have plenty of crazy ass videos of me having a near miss. Safe riding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublezero View Post
This video is why I don't commute to work on my bike. Thanks for sharing. I see a couple of ways this accident could have been avoided. But I'll refrain from that commentary. We all know the risks of being on two wheels. Just earn from this incident and be thankful you are OK. It could have been much worse!
I don't blame you sir!It's easy to say "you could of done this you could of done that", reality is, you really don't know what you will do or in what order you'll waive your options until you are in that positions. I have evaded way worse situation than this. I went through my options in the wrong order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafaforza View Post
Can't really see much that you did wrong before the slowdown. You had good following distance, etc.

Can't hear when you got on the brakes, but you had a good window of time to swerve. Even a foot to the left would have kept you from the impact. I've had to do that in similar situations, and it's a good move to have in your arsenal.

Once on the Brooklyn Bridge, guy brakes so hard, he throws a cloud of tire smoke at me. I was able to swerve and go between traffic. Really lucky escape there.

Maybe go to a parking lot and practice hard braking and swerving. You pretty much press on the left handlebar to swerve left.
I had at least 3 to 4 cars worth of distance. That gets eaten up quickly if someone brakes card though I should of uploaded the video that has the GPS on it. I went from 65 to 45-40 before the hit. Why did that guy break that hard? Was he avoiding something? I find it hard to move the bike when breaking, I don't have this issue as much on my ninja 300. But I think I will take your advice and practice hard breaking again. Last time I did that on the freeway, the rear end came forward. Terrifying I was lucky the bike didnt throw me over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post

Mad
I mean every situation is different and everyone will react different. For example, had I been using my ninja 300 which has ABS, I probably would of slammed both brakes hard. But I learned early on that my gladdy does not do well at high speeds and hard breaking. I had a scary situation, yes I avoided a collision but the bike could of thrown me over at 50 miles an hour.

As far as the bike stopping sooner than a car, I have to disagree but than again, every bike is difference. You can't compare 4 wheel braking with 2 wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailman153624 View Post
Please, cite the source of your claim. Every study I've seen shows cars outbraking bikes, period. Then, try to do it while swerving and see which one stops sooner (hint, it's not the bike).
Agreed sir, agreed...
F9zSlavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:54 AM   #20
Devils

Bikes: 2017 Suzuki SV650A, Naked
Miles Kms: 22,200 Km

What kind of idiot logic is it to teach someone to not cover the brakes so they have immediate access to them in an emergency.
Devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement