Need Clarification - Page 2 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:32 AM   #11
mattayl

After careful consideration I have decided to go with the AR-25s.

I will install them myself too to save the coin.

Unfortunately for us in Australia emulators run about $280AUD, springs are another $200 and the install/fork service is $280.

I also much prefer the idea of not drilling out my own rods etc. and believe the Traxxions will be better than GVEs.
mattayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #12
free_rider

Bikes: '02 SV650s
Re: Need Clarification

I had those in mine... not sure how much better than stock they are...
I picked up my Andreani cartridges on ebay for a little bit more than the AK-25 and the cartridge is miles better in performance, especially if you plan on going *fast*.

... looking back, I'm not too sure using emulators is much better than the stock setup, maybe just a placebo.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:35 AM   #13
mattayl

Really? You found the AR-25s were similar to stock? From all accounts I've only heard good things about emulators and that the Traxxions are even better still.

Did you have yours setup for your weight and riding style? I'm just a little surprised to hear your experience wasnt that great.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #14
free_rider

I had two Gen1 SV bikes for a while... until my kid crashed one in a tank slapper crash (which could have been avoided with a better fork setup... 20/20 hindsight) one of our bikes had just Emulators on the stock damping rods and the other (mine) had the Traxxion cartridge Emulator setup... and I almost preferred the feel of the stock setup with the Emulator (don't tell Traxxion!)... but, I didn't play with the Emulator setup that much on the tank slapped and failed/crashed bike (as I did on the Traxxion)
... but, that is all hindsight now because I've got Andreani cartridges now and wouldn't go back!... just trying to spread some knowledge! Get the cartridges!

Although, before I put in my cartridges I experimented with my Emulator (on top of the Traxxion setup) and found running them with no preload on the "blow off" spring made for a more compliant setup (opposed to the 2.5 turns they recommended), and I was running about 50% sag in the fork (!)... it was still not good at higher speeds... having very poor manners compared to cartridges in "high speed damping control"....

Now, I'm not sure what tweaks that Traxxion has made to there cartridge Emulator setup... I purchased mine years years ago when they first came out... they were not called AR-25 when I purchased...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattayl View Post
Really? You found the AR-25s were similar to stock? From all accounts I've only heard good things about emulators and that the Traxxions are even better still.

Did you have yours setup for your weight and riding style? I'm just a little surprised to hear your experience wasnt that great.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #15
mattayl

Well it is good to hear from someone with real world Andreani experience because I couldn't find too many people that have used them.

Also, I should probably clarify - the Traxxion setup you used to have, was that the purpose built damper rods that were to be used with gold valve emulators??

If so, the AR-25 kit is completely new and features purpose built damper rods, their 25mm Axxion Valve from their cartridges, springs and precut spacers.

I dont think Traxxion offered anything similar to the AR-25s years ago, however I could be wrong. I just feel it may be a little like comparing apples to oranges if you're referencing the kit they had that relied on gold valve emulators.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:40 AM   #16
free_rider

I just took a look at Traxxions AR-25.. and yes, looks to have a bigger flow piston at the top of the damping rods... mine did use the Race Tech Emulator on top.. I'd still get the cartridges! Especially at that cost... the cost is almost what I paid for the Andreani cartridges! without a cartridge, I imagine the rebound damping control is still going to be very poor!

again, I played around with that Emulator fork for a long time doing track days... and never got the front of the bike to feel "good" (after spending previous track experiences on GSXR's)... The Andreani cartridge has changed that for me... now I have a much better "Sport" bike...

the Andreani are not perfect either, I must say... especially at slow speeds... but, at higher speeds they "save your ass"!!! The Emulator setup is the exact reverse opposite: feeling good at slow speeds then trying to kill you at higher speeds with head shakes, tank slappers, lack of compliance!

need I say more?

Quote:
Well it is good to hear from someone with real world Andreani experience because I couldn't find too many people that have used them.

Also, I should probably clarify - the Traxxion setup you used to have, was that the purpose built damper rods that were to be used with gold valve emulators??

If so, the AR-25 kit is completely new and features purpose built damper rods, their 25mm Axxion Valve from their cartridges, springs and precut spacers.

I dont think Traxxion offered anything similar to the AR-25s years ago, however I could be wrong. I just feel it may be a little like comparing apples to oranges if you're referencing the kit they had that relied on gold valve emulators.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #17
mattayl

Well thanks heaps for sharing your experiences! Its nice to know that the Andreanis are a good cartridge!

I guess im venturing into unchartered territory a bit unless someone else out there has done the AR25 install and has feedback?
Old 10-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #18
rcb78

Bikes: 2017 SV650, 2013 F800GS

I've got the Andreani cartridges too, on both my SV and my GS. Plenty of threads out there for our bike and various others if you do a little searching. That said, I'm happy with mine.
rcb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #19
free_rider

the problem with any of the "emulator" setups is that the rebound circuitry is poor, compared to what cartridges offer... making them very slow to react at higher speeds... no comparison, really! I don't see the AR-25 being any better at "rebound", the way the damper rod works is compromised in rebound performance and might actually get worse once the Emulator is put on top (I'd be curious to try a back to back comparison stock vs. Emulator... again, I'm leaning toward "placebo"!).

Quote:
Well thanks heaps for sharing your experiences! Its nice to know that the Andreanis are a good cartridge!

I guess im venturing into unchartered territory a bit unless someone else out there has done the AR25 install and has feedback?
Old 10-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #20
mad8vskillz
Underground Parts Slinger

Bikes: 03 650, 03 1000S (x2), grom, te610 sumo, 919, kayo, nswtf148
Miles Kms: 1.6 miles/km

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_rider View Post
(I'd be curious to try a back to back comparison stock vs. Emulator... again, I'm leaning toward "placebo"!).
race proven... and even just logically proven. rebound dampening doesnt get worse. it gets slower. it isn't however adjustable without changing springs or oil thickness etc. but definitely not going to hydrolock like you can with stock rods since the holes are much bigger
www.mad8v.com - killer prices on Supersprox, and lots of 1g and 2g sv650 and sv1000 parts
mad8vskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement