Deep water crossing - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
JEJ

Bikes: 2009 Suzuki SFV 650 Gladius
Miles Kms: 6400 mi
Deep water crossing

Lots of flooding in Houston Thursday and I had to cross thru deep water multiple times to get home. Bike rode fine during and after. Checked oil and no signs of water but any tips on other things I should check? I hosed it off and cleaned chain but you think I will have to repack or replace wheel bearings? Clutch seems ok but can water get into the transmission through the main seal on the drive sprocket? 2009 Gladys and water was back tire deep by the way. Thanks. JJ
JEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
snailman153624

Bikes: '04 SV650
Re: Deep water crossing

Trans and motor share oil, so if the oil looks good there's nothing to worry about on the trans.

The brakes and wheels, I would be concerned about water trapped inside the axle spacers, but you can check that by unbolting the wheels and having a look.
snailman153624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #3
JEJ

Thanks. Good idea - will pull both wheels.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:08 PM   #4
sv650bklyn

Bikes: 2006 SV650 (Gen 2)
Miles Kms: 53000 mi

If you've never done it, this would also be a good time to clean and re-grease the shock linkage bearings.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:51 PM   #5
TeeRiver

Bikes: '03N, '07N
Miles Kms: ~44/gal

Keep in mind the SV650 is designed to run all day long at high speed in driving rain. Wheel bearings are sealed, all important electrical connectors have o-rings and are water tight.

Not a bad idea to check anything suggested but so long as water did not get into the engine (and shouldn't so long as the breather hose is attached and water did not get above the airbox) I would not be too worried.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:05 PM   #6
snailman153624

Sealed bearings are not waterproof, it just means they have seals. Water spray from rain is not the same as immersion.

Your car is sealed, and will keep rain out driving around, but drive into a lake and it will get very wet inside. Rain drops don't have water pressure to push them past seals.

Flood water is also rarely clean, and can leave corrosive and conductive deposits. This is why flooded cars might be fine for a little while, but often end up with major electrical problems when the wiring disintegrates from trapped moisture. Those same orings that won't reliably stop water pressure when immersed, also serve to not ever let those connectors dry out.

I do agree that if it was very brief, there is less to worry about, but I wouldn't be surprised if you had some corrosion issues develop over the next year or two.

Last edited by snailman153624; 09-23-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:35 AM   #7
TeeRiver

Bikes: '03N, '07N
Miles Kms: ~44/gal

Submerging a car in lake is different than riding a motorcycle wheel deep in water but I agree, water immersion is different than simple exposure.

And actually, it doesn't much matter how brief the immersion; if immersion pressure is high enough, it only takes a second for water to push past a seal.

To say for sure would need the IP ratings for all things exposed, duration and submersion depth. One might expect motorcycles to be design to handle wheel deep water exposure but without real numbers I guess the question is how conservative one wants to be?

Removing SV wheel bearings is destructive, they need to be punched out, so checking for moisture at the axle spacers requires signing up for wheel bearing replacement.

Checking electrical connections would be easier, only need to unplug clean, dry if necessary, reassemble.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #8
snailman153624

I would just open the wheel enough to check for water, not actually pumch any bearings out.

Pretty sure I took the rear wheel and spacers out on my 04 without pressing anything, and the bearings were not damaged.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #9
JEJ

Well I thought I would follow up and give you the low down. I pulled the back tire and the main wheel bearings were fine. The sprocket bearing definitely had water ingress. I wiped everything out really good and then used a tool to get the majority of the grease out from around the bearing and then repacked it. I just replaced them all like 5K ago so we’ll see how we go - maybe I will be doing that one again soon. The main bearings showed no signs of ingress. I cleaned everything up including a bit extra beyond my normal chain maintenance. Pulled the front and everything looked good. I left everything out in the son for a bit and tried to let it dry out so to speak because I can’t see behind the spacers - the spacer on the sprocket bearing showed some beginnings of spot corrosion. Electrical connections looked good but some who knows what could be lurking. Only other thing I was wondering about was the fork seals but I’ve decided to cross that bridge when I get there. Not to play politician but I think you are actually all correct and my observation is that the ingress was mostly controlled by the seal condition. The sprocket seal was a bit more worn and so I think that is the general cause but then how many times are you’re seals really perfect after you’ve been riding for a while. So for rain yes, scuba diving no. Thanks for all your help. J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement