Ignition Issue - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-2015 model SV650.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:28 PM   #1
schnoomy5643

Bikes: 2004 Suzuki SV650
Miles Kms: 10,500 Miles
Ignition Issue

A recent ignition issue has me stumped. Full story below, but the short version is that when my handlebars are all the way to the left and the key is On, the bike acts like the key is turned to Park - tail light and plate light are on and my flashers work, but the headlight, gauge cluster, fuel pump, and brake lights don't function. I turn the handlebars and everything kicks on like normal. Here's the backstory..

A couple of weeks ago I got the bike out for the first time after about a month and a half. For some reason, the key was somewhat hard to turn. I could turn it and lock the handlebars easily, but turning it to the right seemed to catch a few times before it actually turned. Lights came on, pump primed, but it wouldn't turn over. My fault for not keeping it on a maintainer while it was parked. I charged it and rode it with no issues the following day.

Fast Forward to Monday, my Battery Tender JR showed up. I wanted a charger that had a quick disconnect. I got to the battery, fished the connector through to an easy access point (Naked, so it wasn't difficult), and wired it up to the battery. I plugged it in and it showed fully charged in about 5 minutes since I had just charged it recently. When I turned the key, only the parking lights came on. I took the connector off thinking that was the issue, but it wasn't. I got it up on the stands today to check out the connections thinking I may have knocked one loose. After lifting the tank and checking connections, I turned the key and it worked just fine. I reinstalled the connector, checking functionality each step of the way.

I took the bike down and parked it, checking one more time. Same boat, just parking lights. I left the key On and moved the handlebars and everything started working. When I turn the bars back to the left, it goes into parking mode.

This doesn't seem like the TOS, no wires seem to be binding, could this be a problem with the ignition switch? I've done some searching and couldn't find anything that matched this issue. Sorry for the long-winded post, I wanted to provide as much info as possible.
schnoomy5643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 01:10 AM   #2
lgn001

Bikes: 2000 SV650
Miles Kms: 76K
It might be a broken wire in the harness. I had a problem with my tailight not working when the handlebars were turned in one direction, and it ended up being a broken wire inside the main harness where it curves around the steering post. When the wires stretched, the strands would separate. When they compressed, the strands would touch.

If you look at the protective sheath that covers the harness, there might be an area with a kink in it. That's where I would start looking.
lgn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:48 AM   #3
RecoilRob

Bikes: '07 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 43379
Re: Ignition Issue

The ignition switch goes straight for the infamous 'Green Connector' that has the main power connector tend to burn so that's where I'd start the diagnosis. Even if things look sanitary....bypassing the hot wire a pretty good PM practice for down the road reliability.

You noticing the ignition cylinder not wanting to turn as it had before also could be pointing you in the right direction. Once the GC is sorted....the switch itself can come apart and be serviced. They'll accumulate grunge and the lube gets hard making the contacts unreliable.

One thing you might try: I give my ignition cylinder a shot of Chain Saver every now and then as it's a great dry lube. Not sure if what goes in the cylinder can make it to the switch contacts, but either way for your condition I'd want to make sure the switch itself was good to go.
RecoilRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:59 AM   #4
lgn001

Bikes: 2000 SV650
Miles Kms: 76K
Was this ever resolved?
lgn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:19 PM   #5
schnoomy5643

Bikes: 2004 Suzuki SV650
Miles Kms: 10,500 Miles
Re: Ignition Issue

I'm back in business.

Long story short, it was the orange wire in the sheath running from the ignition switch like Ign001 suggested. The wire was broken inside of the orange insulation. However, it must've been so close together when I originally checked them that I couldn't feel the break. But after pulling the bike out a few times and moving it around quite a bit (we were doing some work on the garage), it must've pulled apart even more because it allowed me to find the broken spot. I had checked the green connector as well but it was in perfect condition.

Anyways, an extra 1.5 inches of wire, some solder, heat shrink, and electrical tape got me back on the road.
schnoomy5643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement