Strange fuel leak - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-2015 model SV650.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
tpuckett73

Bikes: 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Miles Kms: 7500
Strange fuel leak

After being out of town for a week, I started the bike and went inside to get ready. When I came back out there was a puddle of fuel under the bike and it was pooled on the lower fairing and all over the left side of the engine. I shut it off and let it sit outside while I was at the gym. When I got back to the bike, I pulled the fairings and found the crankcase breather hose had come off from the airbox. Judging from where the fuel sprayed, it looks like that's where it was coming from. I hooked it back up and started it up. No leak. I opened the airbox and looked to see if any fuel was getting in there. The filter sponge disintegrated as I tried to pull it out, but there wasn't any gas in the box. I checked the oil window and it doesn't look like any fuel got into the crankcase. I'm pretty confused about what happened. The bike was running fine before I went out of town and it feels totally normal now. After a couple of rides there is a little bit of a hot plastic smell, but no leaks or problems and everything looks fine. Clearly I'm missing something, but I don't know what.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
thedrewski86

Bikes: '07 SV650s
Re: Strange fuel leak

I'm not sure that the disintegrating filter and breather tube is to blame. These bikes have a tendency to leak at a grey plastic fuel fitting under the tank near the back. Mine does occasionally after sitting for a week. Once it gets washed out with a little fuel it seals back up. Most folk just replace the part, I should but it's been fine lately.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #3
Jay V

Bikes: '06 SVn, '00 SVn project
Re: Strange fuel leak

Check the short fuel line connecting the two throttle bodies on the right side. The OEM clamps eventually loosen and leak. Replacing them with high pressure fuel line clamps from an auto parts store is your best choice, but standard hose clamps will work.

My '06 started leaking there a couple seasons ago. New clamps and it has been fine.
Jay V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
tpuckett73

Bikes: 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Miles Kms: 7500
Those are both decent ideas, but doesn't look like what's going on here. After reconnecting the crankcase breather hose, the leak is gone. So then I assumed fuel was just pouring into my airbox instead. Nope. Totally dry. The leak was definitely on the left side, and it was high. The fuel was all over the front bottom off the airbox. In other news, on my ride home yesterday my admittedly cheap mirror broke (third time not counting a drop). Anybody have a good option for a mirror with integrated turn signals?
Advertisement