Overheating troubleshooting - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-2015 model SV650.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
Jokey

Bikes: 2006 SV650S
Miles Kms: 20000 mi
Overheating troubleshooting

My 2nd gen water temp went up to 248F then started flashing. The fan never came on. I limped home with multiple stops for cooldowns.

Later I tested the fan and it did work when I shorted the wires going to the fan thermo switch. I started the bike and it overheated again up to 235 before I shut it off. When I touched the radiator inlet and outlet tubes, the inlet tube was warm but the outlet was cold (so was the radiator itself). This could be a broken water pump, but I'm guessing not, just because I didn't see many posts on it.

When it overheated, the pressure did not vent from the cap - instead there was hissing/leaking in the area where the water connectors go into the engine.

Do I need to follow the manual steps of testing the thermo switch, the the coolant temperature sensor, and the thermostat? Does the hot radiator inlet hose mean the thermostat opened?
Jokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:01 PM   #2
Svracer2

Bikes: Suzuki Sv650
If the rad is cold and the engine is hot there is only 2 possibilities, thermostat is stuck closed or waterpump isn't pumping. Easier to remove thermostat and see if waterpump circulates water. Then go from there.
Svracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #3
Jokey

Re: Overheating troubleshooting

Is the water pump supposed to be pumping as long as the engine is running?
Edit: Yes. But I'm not going to reinstall w/out it. I'll try short circuiting the fan thermo switch next time it's hot. That probably won't work, in which case I'll disassemble and bench test the thermostat. Maybe it is barely opening, making the hose warm but not flowing enough to cool the engine.

Last edited by Jokey; 09-20-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
Svracer2

Bikes: Suzuki Sv650
The fan isn't the problem, it's not turning on because the coolant where the temp sensor is isn't hot enough. I always drill a 1/8 bypass hole in the thermostat to bleed out any air in the system. Yes waterpump turns as long as engine is running.
Svracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
TeeRiver

Bikes: '03N, '07N
Miles Kms: ~44/gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokey View Post
... When I touched the radiator inlet and outlet tubes, the inlet tube was warm but the outlet was cold (so was the radiator itself). This could be a broken water pump, but I'm guessing not, just because I didn't see many posts on it.
Has the clutch cover ever been removed on this bike? If so, it is easy to crack the water pump driven gear (plastic on 2000+ SV650) if not aligned properly during reassembly.

I agree with Svracer2, it is not the thermo switch, something is preventing coolant flow. Check low coolant, thermostat, blocked passage, or broken water pump/gear.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #6
sv650bklyn

Bikes: 2006 SV650 (Gen 2)
Miles Kms: 53000 mi

Here's the relevant troubleshooting section from the service manual. Let me know if you need a download link.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #7
Jokey

Turned out that my coolant was low. Sorry for the lame ass question. After filling it, some coolant leaked from the water union (I think), so either that seal is bad or maybe the radiator cap isn't venting through the tube correctly and it is releasing at the weakest point. More items for my winter punchlist. Thanks everyone for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement