Sv650(S&N) vs V Strom vs Versys - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #1
IntrovertedRonin

Sv650(S&N) vs V Strom vs Versys

Hey guys,

I am about to pull the trigger and buy my first bike. Almost have all my gear bought. I have been planning my entry into motorcycling methodically for the past few months. My question is out of all the bikes listed in the title which would be best for my needs?

I am 6ft(barefoot) 205. I want a bike that will be fun, I can grow into but will also allow me to take trips to neighboring states if I want to. I would want to get some twisty action, but also relax in the mountains for a day.

Also I work from home so my daily rides will be for entertainment. That being said I want a bike that is fun in the highways and decently comfortable. These all seem like cool bikes and there seems to be quite a bit of overlap. Do I get the 650s and out helibars on? Windscreen on naked? Say F it and start on a dad bike like the v Strom?

So many questions...detailed responses are greatly appreciated.
IntrovertedRonin is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
OfirMX
MOTORADOR

Bikes: DL1000, SV650, SV650S, GSF1250, GSX-R750, CRF-150R
Miles Kms: ∆
Re: Sv650(S&N) vs V Strom vs Versys

I'd go with the Vstrom 650. It may not have the sexy (?) factor of the SV but it's just as practical --if not more-- and it's more comfortable for traveling.

P.S. Have you taken training yet?
Old 06-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
rcb78

Bikes: 2017 SV650, 2013 F800GS

In the cycling world we would just say N+1
I was looking at the same three bikes when I made the decision to actively start riding more and to get a bike that make me want to. I chose the SV because my list didn't involve any sort of travel and it fit the bill perfectly. I have seen other post about doing some light touring on the SV but I don't think I'd ever be happy trying that.
If I were in your situation, and knowing what I know now I would take a hard look at the V-Strom 650XT. Same engine as the Gen3 but re-tuned for the application. Spoked 17"/19" should be plenty capable for exploring off pavement within the limits of the bikes travel and ground clearance. It just looks like a fun setup for the different types of riding you're talking about.
rcb78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
steveSLO
AARP Moderator

Bikes: '08 SV650N/abs
Miles Kms: 20,000

Me too. Here's a comparison:
https://womanrider.com/2017/09/2017-...omparo-review/

At anything over 4000 rpm the Vstrom makes more torque and horsepower.
But the Versys has better luggage. Too close to call
Old 06-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
Wedgewood

Bikes: 2003 Suzuki Sv650s
Miles Kms: 24000

Each bike serves it's own mission. Pick your bike based on your mission, not your size. If you want a performance bike you'll never be happy with anything less no matter how comfortable. Also, if you want a bike capable of offroading you'll only be frustrated owning a sportbike.
Wedgewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
IntrovertedRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfirMX View Post
I'd go with the Vstrom 650. It may not have the sexy (?) factor of the SV but it's just as practical --if not more-- and it's more comfortable for traveling.

P.S. Have you taken training yet?
Taking my training very soon. Taking the msf course and I plan on taking all the additional courses as well. I really like the latest generation v Strom in terms of looks and honestly is the bike I am leaning towards. But for some reason my insurance rate for a newer Strom is higher than an older sv650...
Old 06-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
IntrovertedRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
In the cycling world we would just say N+1
I was looking at the same three bikes when I made the decision to actively start riding more and to get a bike that make me want to. I chose the SV because my list didn't involve any sort of travel and it fit the bill perfectly. I have seen other post about doing some light touring on the SV but I don't think I'd ever be happy trying that.
If I were in your situation, and knowing what I know now I would take a hard look at the V-Strom 650XT. Same engine as the Gen3 but re-tuned for the application. Spoked 17"/19" should be plenty capable for exploring off pavement within the limits of the bikes travel and ground clearance. It just looks like a fun setup for the different types of riding you're talking about.
That makes sense, I am somewhat afraid that the v Strom may not be fun enough, but then I fear the sv650 will not be comfortable enough. Granted I don't mind discomfort as I am a physically fit 27 year old. Now what about all these people I see touring Europe on a sv650. How much of a difference are we talking as far as cargo between bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveSLO View Post
Me too. Here's a comparison:
https://womanrider.com/2017/09/2017-...omparo-review/

At anything over 4000 rpm the Vstrom makes more torque and horsepower.
But the Versys has better luggage. Too close to call[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.svrider.com/forum/images/smilies/naughty.gif[/IMG]
Thanks for the article, I poured over it and fortunately I do prefer the latest gen v stroms over the versus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedgewood View Post
Each bike serves it's own mission. Pick your bike based on your mission, not your size. If you want a performance bike you'll never be happy with anything less no matter how comfortable. Also, if you want a bike capable of offroading you'll only be frustrated owning a sportbike.
This makes sense. Honestly I guess I am looking for a jack of all trades bike. I hear the sv650 can tour, but the I hear the v Strom can also do twisty stuff. Guess I am trying to find how much each does each category well...I don't plan on doing multiday trips. Mainly daily rides with an occasional cross state trip few times a year. Can a sv650 handle this or is this more a v Strom thing?
Old 06-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #8
rcb78

Bikes: 2017 SV650, 2013 F800GS

As for the N+1 argument, after a year I bought a used but well cared for F800GS so I feel like I've got both sides of the spectrum covered for what I 'want'. I'll probably keep the GS for the long haul because it's a great bike and I've got it sorted pretty well for my needs and wants. The SV ticks all the boxes for a 'fun' bike, but I could maybe see myself stepping up to a Street Triple R at some point, not so much for the power (though I wouldn't object), but for the added features and aides, and I just think it looks damn good, but I can't see myself doing that any time soon. Maybe 5-10 years?
rcb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #9
busdriver

If you're new to motorcycling, any one of the bikes you listed will be more than fun enough. Consider that a V-Strom 650 with you on it has a power to weight ratio similar to a Mustang GT or Camaro SS, the SV would be a bit quicker

For that matter, I've watched a rider coach at a track day blast past folks on legit sportbikes, while she's riding a Strom (1000cc in this case, but still).
busdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:11 AM   #10
Craig380

Bikes: Blue 650 AL7, replaced my K6S (RIP)
Miles Kms: New bike: 1,610 and rising. K6S had 21,380 until it was killed by a patch of diesel

I was in a similar quandary back in March. After writing off my 2006 SV650S, I looked long and hard at the 2012 - 2016 V-Strom compared with a Gen 3 SV. Eventually went with the Gen 3. It was a close call but I haven't regretted it. It's comfortable for me and is a blast for 300-mile days, but is also superbly nimble for town work.

Then again, the V-Strom will do all of that too. Both are excellent bikes, I don't think you'd regret either choice.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement