I Hate My Footpegs - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV1000 (03-07) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV1000 (03-07) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to 2003-2007 model SV1000. Sponsored By: Werks Parts

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 09:41 PM   #1
China Greg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lower Hudson Valley, NY State
Bikes: '06 sv1000s, '98 Bandit 1200 modified
Miles Kms: 30K on SV, 140K on Bandit
Posts: 364
I Hate My Footpegs

I've owned my SV K6 for about four years now. Along the way I've made a number of carefully-considered mods... the Werkes clucth basket (great).. a Penske shock... Sonic springs...Corbin seat...CNC handlebar conversion kit... yadda yadda.

But the one issue that still bites my bullet is the HIGH FOOTPEG position.

I am NOT racing my SV at Daytona; I am a Sport-Tourer. Those pegs are so high that for me to scrape the feelers would take an Act of Rossi. Meanwhile, I am cramping-up on daytrips, and the ergos are so weird, from the Corbin being slightly lower...those Super Sport-position pegs.. and the raised handlebars... that I feel like a dog squatting on its haunches with its front paws up on the table.

Any peg lowering "fixs" I have seen so far involve a "Z" configuration where the peg bracket has to come OUTBOARD before it can drop down...resulting in one's feet being splayed outwards two or so inches.. making it a pigeon-toe affair just to reach the controls.

It looks like I could buy an extra pair of brackets and start cutting them up somehow... then weld them on to the stock mounting brackets.. and bring the assemblies down and forward (two inches each way would be lovely)... but the brake light tab would have to be replaced, (contact the muffler), and the shift linkage arm might have to be shortened.

Has ANYONE ever done such a mod sucessfully.. that doesn't leave your feet splayed outwards?

When I first sat on an SV1000 at the NY motorcycle show in 2003, I was sadly disappointed at the ergos... still am to this day.

Does EVERYONE ride an SV like a GSXR?
China Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-04-2019, 12:31 AM   #2
eddiemon
Chief Greeter
 
eddiemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: OC CA
Bikes: 07 SV650 - 86 atc250R - 85 BW200
Posts: 27,632
Re: I Hate My Footpegs

Hi China Greg, I believe the adjustable rear set riser plates that SV Racing sells can be flipped so you can get the pegs lower...

https://www.svracingparts.com/store/...lates-p3103870

Also I heard that Buell footpegs drop the height down some.

Good luck!
__________________
eddiemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #3
Wedgewood
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Bikes: 2003 Suzuki Sv650s
Miles Kms: 24000
Posts: 298
Re: I Hate My Footpegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Greg View Post
I've owned my SV K6 for about four years now. Along the way I've made a number of carefully-considered mods... the Werkes clucth basket (great).. a Penske shock... Sonic springs...Corbin seat...CNC handlebar conversion kit... yadda yadda.

But the one issue that still bites my bullet is the HIGH FOOTPEG position.

I am NOT racing my SV at Daytona; I am a Sport-Tourer. Those pegs are so high that for me to scrape the feelers would take an Act of Rossi. Meanwhile, I am cramping-up on daytrips, and the ergos are so weird, from the Corbin being slightly lower...those Super Sport-position pegs.. and the raised handlebars... that I feel like a dog squatting on its haunches with its front paws up on the table.

Any peg lowering "fixs" I have seen so far involve a "Z" configuration where the peg bracket has to come OUTBOARD before it can drop down...resulting in one's feet being splayed outwards two or so inches.. making it a pigeon-toe affair just to reach the controls.

It looks like I could buy an extra pair of brackets and start cutting them up somehow... then weld them on to the stock mounting brackets.. and bring the assemblies down and forward (two inches each way would be lovely)... but the brake light tab would have to be replaced, (contact the muffler), and the shift linkage arm might have to be shortened.

Has ANYONE ever done such a mod sucessfully.. that doesn't leave your feet splayed outwards?

When I first sat on an SV1000 at the NY motorcycle show in 2003, I was sadly disappointed at the ergos... still am to this day.

Does EVERYONE ride an SV like a GSXR?
The bracket you've described is made by svracingparts.com available here https://www.svracingparts.com/store/...lates-p3103870 .

The plates are only 1/4 inch thick, but keep in mind that the bike has limitations as to how far the pegs can be moved down.
Wedgewood is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 06-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
Junkie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alameda, CA
Bikes: 06 1k
Posts: 3,532
Re: I Hate My Footpegs

I know it isn't quite answering your question, but I'll suggest doing what I did: raise the seat.

Unless you have issues touching the ground, my opinion is that a higher seat is helpful on the street.
__________________
06 SV1000: 06 600 forks, Penske triple, Carrozzeria wheels, TopYokes triple, upright bars, RCS19, R6 calipers, OSF rearsets, full M4, Monster seat on custom subframe, JW Speaker Adaptive headlight
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
thedrewski86
Member
 
thedrewski86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SoCal
Bikes: '07 SV650s
Posts: 141
Re: I Hate My Footpegs

The PO put Buell pegs on my SV650s before I got it and they work great. There is still a mile of ground clearance and I find them to be quite comfortable. I'm a 34" inseam for reference.
__________________
Past: 2004 BMW K1200GT, 1991 CBR600F2, 1990 CBR1000F, 1995 VT1100C2, 1975 CB550F, tons of Ninja 250s...
Present: 2007 SV650S
thedrewski86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
Wedgewood
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Bikes: 2003 Suzuki Sv650s
Miles Kms: 24000
Posts: 298
Re: I Hate My Footpegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I know it isn't quite answering your question, but I'll suggest doing what I did: raise the seat.

Unless you have issues touching the ground, my opinion is that a higher seat is helpful on the street.
I raised the front on the seat on my 03 about 2 inches using a few bolts as spacers and it's probably the best mod I've done to my bike. My seat is now flat, much easier to lock onto the bike and I don't move under hard braking. How did you raise your seat?
Wedgewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #7
eddiemon
Chief Greeter
 
eddiemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: OC CA
Bikes: 07 SV650 - 86 atc250R - 85 BW200
Posts: 27,632
Re: I Hate My Footpegs

Thread and pics from a Buell footpeg mod...

https://www.svrider.com/forum/showth...buell+footpegs
__________________
eddiemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #8
Junkie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alameda, CA
Bikes: 06 1k
Posts: 3,532
Re: I Hate My Footpegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedgewood View Post
I raised the front on the seat on my 03 about 2 inches using a few bolts as spacers and it's probably the best mod I've done to my bike. My seat is now flat, much easier to lock onto the bike and I don't move under hard braking. How did you raise your seat?
I have a custom subframe with a seat off a Ducati Monster. Not the easy way, that's for sure.
__________________
06 SV1000: 06 600 forks, Penske triple, Carrozzeria wheels, TopYokes triple, upright bars, RCS19, R6 calipers, OSF rearsets, full M4, Monster seat on custom subframe, JW Speaker Adaptive headlight
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:10 PM   #9
WAPtrap
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Space Coast, FL
Bikes: 2003 SV1S (sold), 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Posts: 30
Re: I Hate My Footpegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I have a custom subframe with a seat off a Ducati Monster. Not the easy way, that's for sure.
Is there a build thread?
WAPtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #10
Junkie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alameda, CA
Bikes: 06 1k
Posts: 3,532
Re: I Hate My Footpegs

Don't remember, it's been a while (did it in 2012). https://i.imgur.com/voDttgD.jpg not the best pic but you can see it there.
__________________
06 SV1000: 06 600 forks, Penske triple, Carrozzeria wheels, TopYokes triple, upright bars, RCS19, R6 calipers, OSF rearsets, full M4, Monster seat on custom subframe, JW Speaker Adaptive headlight
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Design Developed by CompleteGFX
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
1999-2009 SVRIDER.com.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum strong>Kawasaki Z125 Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Honda Africa Twin Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Victory Charger Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum
BMW Scrambler Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum
 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.