I Hate My Footpegs - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV1000 (03-07) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV1000 (03-07) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to 2003-2007 model SV1000. Sponsored By: Werks Parts

Old 06-03-2019, 09:41 PM   #1
China Greg

Bikes: '06 sv1000s, '98 Bandit 1200 modified
Miles Kms: 30K on SV, 140K on Bandit
I Hate My Footpegs

I've owned my SV K6 for about four years now. Along the way I've made a number of carefully-considered mods... the Werkes clucth basket (great).. a Penske shock... Sonic springs...Corbin seat...CNC handlebar conversion kit... yadda yadda.

But the one issue that still bites my bullet is the HIGH FOOTPEG position.

I am NOT racing my SV at Daytona; I am a Sport-Tourer. Those pegs are so high that for me to scrape the feelers would take an Act of Rossi. Meanwhile, I am cramping-up on daytrips, and the ergos are so weird, from the Corbin being slightly lower...those Super Sport-position pegs.. and the raised handlebars... that I feel like a dog squatting on its haunches with its front paws up on the table.

Any peg lowering "fixs" I have seen so far involve a "Z" configuration where the peg bracket has to come OUTBOARD before it can drop down...resulting in one's feet being splayed outwards two or so inches.. making it a pigeon-toe affair just to reach the controls.

It looks like I could buy an extra pair of brackets and start cutting them up somehow... then weld them on to the stock mounting brackets.. and bring the assemblies down and forward (two inches each way would be lovely)... but the brake light tab would have to be replaced, (contact the muffler), and the shift linkage arm might have to be shortened.

Has ANYONE ever done such a mod sucessfully.. that doesn't leave your feet splayed outwards?

When I first sat on an SV1000 at the NY motorcycle show in 2003, I was sadly disappointed at the ergos... still am to this day.

Does EVERYONE ride an SV like a GSXR?
China Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2019, 12:31 AM   #2
eddiemon
Chief Greeter

Bikes: 07 SV650 - 86 atc250R - 85 BW200
Re: I Hate My Footpegs

Hi China Greg, I believe the adjustable rear set riser plates that SV Racing sells can be flipped so you can get the pegs lower...

https://www.svracingparts.com/store/...lates-p3103870

Also I heard that Buell footpegs drop the height down some.

Good luck!
Old 06-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #3
Wedgewood

Bikes: 2003 Suzuki Sv650s
Miles Kms: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Greg View Post
I've owned my SV K6 for about four years now. Along the way I've made a number of carefully-considered mods... the Werkes clucth basket (great).. a Penske shock... Sonic springs...Corbin seat...CNC handlebar conversion kit... yadda yadda.

But the one issue that still bites my bullet is the HIGH FOOTPEG position.

I am NOT racing my SV at Daytona; I am a Sport-Tourer. Those pegs are so high that for me to scrape the feelers would take an Act of Rossi. Meanwhile, I am cramping-up on daytrips, and the ergos are so weird, from the Corbin being slightly lower...those Super Sport-position pegs.. and the raised handlebars... that I feel like a dog squatting on its haunches with its front paws up on the table.

Any peg lowering "fixs" I have seen so far involve a "Z" configuration where the peg bracket has to come OUTBOARD before it can drop down...resulting in one's feet being splayed outwards two or so inches.. making it a pigeon-toe affair just to reach the controls.

It looks like I could buy an extra pair of brackets and start cutting them up somehow... then weld them on to the stock mounting brackets.. and bring the assemblies down and forward (two inches each way would be lovely)... but the brake light tab would have to be replaced, (contact the muffler), and the shift linkage arm might have to be shortened.

Has ANYONE ever done such a mod sucessfully.. that doesn't leave your feet splayed outwards?

When I first sat on an SV1000 at the NY motorcycle show in 2003, I was sadly disappointed at the ergos... still am to this day.

Does EVERYONE ride an SV like a GSXR?
The bracket you've described is made by svracingparts.com available here https://www.svracingparts.com/store/...lates-p3103870 .

The plates are only 1/4 inch thick, but keep in mind that the bike has limitations as to how far the pegs can be moved down.
Wedgewood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
Junkie

Bikes: 06 1k

I know it isn't quite answering your question, but I'll suggest doing what I did: raise the seat.

Unless you have issues touching the ground, my opinion is that a higher seat is helpful on the street.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
thedrewski86

Bikes: '07 SV650s

The PO put Buell pegs on my SV650s before I got it and they work great. There is still a mile of ground clearance and I find them to be quite comfortable. I'm a 34" inseam for reference.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
Wedgewood

Bikes: 2003 Suzuki Sv650s
Miles Kms: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I know it isn't quite answering your question, but I'll suggest doing what I did: raise the seat.

Unless you have issues touching the ground, my opinion is that a higher seat is helpful on the street.
I raised the front on the seat on my 03 about 2 inches using a few bolts as spacers and it's probably the best mod I've done to my bike. My seat is now flat, much easier to lock onto the bike and I don't move under hard braking. How did you raise your seat?
Wedgewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #7
eddiemon
Chief Greeter

Bikes: 07 SV650 - 86 atc250R - 85 BW200

Thread and pics from a Buell footpeg mod...

https://www.svrider.com/forum/showth...buell+footpegs
Old 06-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #8
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedgewood View Post
I raised the front on the seat on my 03 about 2 inches using a few bolts as spacers and it's probably the best mod I've done to my bike. My seat is now flat, much easier to lock onto the bike and I don't move under hard braking. How did you raise your seat?
I have a custom subframe with a seat off a Ducati Monster. Not the easy way, that's for sure.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:10 PM   #9
WAPtrap

Bikes: 2003 SV1S (sold), 2013 KTM 990 SMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I have a custom subframe with a seat off a Ducati Monster. Not the easy way, that's for sure.
Is there a build thread?
WAPtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #10
Junkie

Don't remember, it's been a while (did it in 2012). https://i.imgur.com/voDttgD.jpg not the best pic but you can see it there.
Advertisement