Minnesota - Minneapolis - what's it like for riding? - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
toddpnewton

Minnesota - Minneapolis - what's it like for riding?

If this should be in regional rides just yell at me.

Good possibility I'm moving to MN, White Bear Lake specifically. Of the reasons not to go, lack of saddle time is high on the list. You know, snow and all. AND... I'm a poosy in the cold; I don't have the fortitude to ride in the extreme cold like maybe some of you natives. Rain I don' t mind, just cold. Questions from some objective folks...

How long is the riding season actually?
How much of the year is generally below 50F ? 60F?
Does it ever break 90degrees? (I love that sheet )
How much snow, rain, etc. during winter & spring?

I'll need some lessons on winterizing too I guess, if I decide to go.
All feedback appreciated - thanks in advance! T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
jonesy

Re: Minnesota - Minneapolis - what's it like for riding?

Don't go! While I have not lived there, I have spent a considerable amount of time in the St. Paul area for work during the winter months and it is COLD!!! In fact, it is so cold for so long that they have constructed elevated and underground enclosed pedestrian walkways between the buildings. The riding season is compressed and because of those 10,000 lakes the bugs are out in force at night during the summer. Me, no way no how. I barely coping with this crappy Chicago wheather.

Jonesy
jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
olegbi_q2

I move to Minneapolis area last June.

Winters are all that and more Actually, for the past few
years south of Minnesota hasn't been getting much snow -
less them Michigan.

Summers are great - lots of sun, not too hot, mostly mid 80's
I think. For riding there are a few decent roads around the twin
area, but most of the good rides are in Wisconsin and south
east part of the state. There are group rides with 10+ people
almost every weekend.
olegbi_q2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
toddpnewton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy
Don't go!* While I have not lived there, I have spent a considerable amount of time in the St. Paul area for work during the winter months and it is COLD!!!* In fact, it is so cold for so long that they have constructed elevated and underground enclosed pedestrian walkways between the buildings.* *The riding season is compressed and because of those 10,000 lakes the bugs are out in force at night during the summer.* Me, no way no how.* I barely coping with this crappy Chicago wheather.

Jonesy
Egh- Chicago - I lived there for 1 year. Never again.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
jonesy

I hear you on the Chicago thing. Just three more years and the house is paid-off then I'm shopping for a vacation home that will some day become my retirement place. I plan on heading south somewhere around Tennessee, Georgia or Carolinas.

Jonesy
jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
Six Chin Skinny

newton-san,

I lived in MN (north metro of the Twin Cities) for 35 years, just recently moved to Phoenix last October. Kind of an itch I had to scratch, like the desert, dry air, riding in the wintertime, etc. While it's great to ride in the winter time and all, I will be moving back to MN as soon as I can. Part of that is due to family/friends, part familiarity, and here's the moto part:

In the southwest, peak riding time is during the winter when daylight length is shortest. In the north, peak riding time is during the summer, when daylight is longest.

The riding season in MN is roughly May through early October; my riding season up there is usually April through late October or early November (until permanent snow).

It does break 90 F quite often in July and August; it's a much different heat than that you see in TX or AZ. Start mixing in 70-80% humidity, and those upper 80's and 90's can get brutal unless you're moving.

Winters are long, dark, and harsh, I won't b.s. you. However, over the last 5-10 years, winters have gotten noticeably milder (no joke, ask any long time resident).

There are a ton of roads along the eastern third of MN; the Great River Road along the Mississippi, North Shore Drive along Lake Superior, and some other scenic roads are destination areas in and of themselves. Unlike what I've found in Phoenix, there are enough roads that you can take many different routes to arrive at a destination a hundred miles away and spend entire weekends exploring, as opposed to a few high traffic volume freeways that funnel traffic to relatively few destinations that everyone goes to.

You are also an hour away from the famed alphabet roads and other routes in Wisconsin.

Obviously, there are no mountains in MN, but some of the elevation changes along the river valleys, bluff country (SE MN), and along the North Shore are breathtaking; MN offers fantastic scenic riding, only mediocre at best twisty/adrenaline riding.

For me, riding in MN is awesome, just too short of a season.

For more city info: http://www.city-data.com/

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask away or pm me. HTH...

Six Chin Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:08 PM   #7
thejimdaddy
Titanium Member

Bikes: 2007 GSXR Sebben-fiddy, 2007 6seventy5
Miles Kms: i don't ride it

move to CT Preston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatass SVS View Post
thejimdaddy has become the Voice of Reason.
thejimdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:37 PM   #8
GMslave
Agnostic Mod

Bikes: '01 PITA
Miles Kms: hellifIknow

Minnesota is like the un-official world capitol of ice-fishing. Not to mention snowmobiling. If you've never ridden a bad-ass snowmobile before, you're missing out. Totally ethereal in acceleration. Hope that helps.
Texas kicking you out, or what ?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:05 PM   #9
cbk2750

I love it here. I am actually from White Bear Lake but now live in Minneapolis. White Bear Lake is relatively close to the St Croix river valley. Great riding out there and really all over around here. We may not have mountains but we have many, many, many lakes which make for some very twisty roads and great views. We also have a great school system, great parks, great people and one of the strongest local music scenes in the mid-west. I also lived in Tempe AZ when I was in college and I would pick living with winter for a few months over living in that cesspool any time. The riding community is very strong here as well. There are a couple of cool cycle hang outs in the twin cities and huge meetups every month in Uptown Minneapolis. I really can't think of a better place to live really. You can let the winter get you down or you can pick up an old cycle and fix it up in your garage. Then when the sun comes out you'll have the coolest bike in town. I actully was riding in February last year. If you want any more details drop an email.

Corey.
cbk2750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:05 PM   #10
Ranger
Iron Butt Moderator

Bikes: 2006 VFR800 Storm Trooper, 2009 Kawi KLX250SF sumo
Miles Kms: 32,100 VFR

Alright already, don't listen to anyone who hasn't lived there. *I grew up on the south side of the cities. *Lots of great riding, best roads, like stated earlier are along the river both north and south of the cities. *For the best roads in mn check out the se corner. *Hwy 60 from wabasha to zumbro falls is the best riding stretch in the state, for scenery hwy 61 along the river and hwy 16 from la cresent to nearly harmony. *Many, many other trails. *Check out the other side of the river as well, many untouched roads in wi.