Clean and Simple II Virago - Page 40 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #391
Jay V

Bikes: '06 SVn, '00 SVn project
Re: Clean and Simple II Virago

Knifemaker needs his own TV show.

I'd be glued to the TV watching all of this fabrication being done. The American Chopper and Cafe Racer TV stuff is rookie compared to this!
Jay V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #392
NVDucati

Bikes: '14 V-Strom 1000, SV650N 06, '93 CBR900RR, '75 Ducati 750GT, '02 K1200RS
Miles Kms: 8900 (SV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker87 View Post
and back at it...

After wracking my brain on how to mount and support the tail unit i went through several ideas that didnt work, and ended up going with aluminum supports bonded to the tail, and threaded stainless support bungs welded to the subframe. It makes the tail slightly heavier, but makes me feel a little better about it supporting my weight.
~Chris
Chris, Like others I'm hoping that you will have future projects and they will include carbon fiber. To that end, you might want to buy a small supply of CF tubes. Sometimes they are the best for hard-point mounting / bracing, etc. I have various sizes and if needed I fill one with left over resin and West 403 filler. You can tap / thread them. Or use them as is for stiffeners. Endless possibilities. One of dozens of vendors:
http://www.clearwatercomposites.com/...1-d33261a50c2b
Old 11-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #393
AZ Pete

Bikes: BMW R1100S Boxer Cup 2003
Miles Kms: 13,000

subscribed. Just read the entire thread....very impressive work!
AZ Pete is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #394
Knifemaker87

Bikes: White 'n Blue 2006 SV650S
Miles Kms: 7.5 k
Send a message via AIM to Knifemaker87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKK Jack View Post
Sounds like it's time to start a "I like watching Knifemaker build stuff too much to let it stop" fund.

I'm in for $10.00
thanks! thankfully the welder is in very capable hands right now, and if it can be fixed, Ben can fix it. That being said, i have had an offer from my parents to replace it with some of the money they saved for me to go to school, but as i got my entire education paid for, they have some money left. So, now i have to wait to see if the welder will work again.

if not, does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement unit? staying under $2k
i am currently thinking either the Miller Diversion 185 or the thermal arc 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay V View Post
Knifemaker needs his own TV show.

I'd be glued to the TV watching all of this fabrication being done. The American Chopper and Cafe Racer TV stuff is rookie compared to this!
Lol! that is very kind of you. however i dont think that i would have enough drama to keep everyone watching. I dont have anyone to throw chairs/tools at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDucati View Post
Chris, Like others I'm hoping that you will have future projects and they will include carbon fiber. To that end, you might want to buy a small supply of CF tubes. Sometimes they are the best for hard-point mounting / bracing, etc. I have various sizes and if needed I fill one with left over resin and West 403 filler. You can tap / thread them. Or use them as is for stiffeners. Endless possibilities. One of dozens of vendors:
http://www.clearwatercomposites.com/...1-d33261a50c2b
that is a very interesting though. i hadnt thought qabout CF tubes at all, but that is a great idea.

the main reason for using the aluminum in this instance is that i wanted some lateral support on the part in the mounts themselves. however due to the curvatios nature of the the tank, that turned out to be brain bender. No only to i have to figure out what i want to do, i have to figure out what i CAN do. this was the best option. however, this is simply the MK I version of this bike. i hope to be able to go back and replace/refine things that i am not as happy with once i get it more or less together, and the CF tunes are a great MKII idea.

okay, since i couldnt get the forward seat mounts on, i decided to at least manage the wires and tuck them out of place till i can actually get up the nerve to finish the wiring. so here are some "progress to date" pictures

Trying to get the welder situation sorted. I may end up having to get a new one. if so, are there any recommendations? i need to keep it under $2k

thanks for looking!
~Chris
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #395
Verbal Kint

Bikes: Cram it.

Quote:
Trying to get the welder situation sorted. I may end up having to get a new one. if so, are there any recommendations? i need to keep it under $2k
~Chris
Scour Craiglist. But with anything Craiglist, let the buyer beware. You never know what you are going to get.

If you could find an equipment auction, maybe from a shop that is closing down that might be a better option than Craigslist. But again, you would be buying used equipment.
Verbal Kint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #396
jbswear

Bikes: '75 FLH chopper, 2009 Concours
Miles Kms: 4600

Give this welder a look.

http://victortechnologies.com/Therma...t_features.php

MIG, stick, and TIG all in one for under $1300.

I'm another SVHadder now.
jbswear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #397
amaff

Bikes: 05 SV650N
Miles Kms: 6000

Quote:
I may end up having to get a new one. if so, are there any recommendations?
Hard to go wrong with even a used Hobart or Lincoln.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #398
r0ckrat
Greetings Program

Bikes: '06 SV650N
Miles Kms: >60k

I have a suggestion to fill up your time while getting the welder sorted...

CF front & rear fenders...
A really tight fitting rear hugger that goes from about the same level as the bottom of the exhaust, to just past the top center of the axle would be cool.
A small, close fitting front fender with built in fork guards.

Something to keep your hands busy until you have another welder to play with...

Hope your welder can get fixed, or that you are able to find another soon, as this bike is just REALLY awesome!
I didn't want to be THAT obvious. The man is dealing with his wife. Let it be her idea, dummy!
r0ckrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #399
GoodKat

Bikes: SV 650s K4
Miles Kms: 18800

I am curious about the weight of it. Any details knifemaker?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #400
bubba2533

Bikes: 07 SV650N
Miles Kms: 10000

Quote:

Idk how close it really is, but the engine looks scary close to the ground (could be the angle of the picture). Like you would never clear a speed bump. And even if you compress the suspension it might get close to scraping.
Advertisement