Someone tried to run me off the road... - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
DannyB22

Bikes: 1999 Suzuki SV650, 1989 Yamaha FZR 600, 2008 Trek 4300
Miles Kms: 48,000 mi +
Someone tried to run me off the road...

So I am on my way home from work tonight and cruising down the highway in the left lane running about 80mph. Normal traffic around, and most people move over to the right as I approach them. Well one car decided to do 5 under in the left lane. I stay back about 2 car links and pace him for maybe 1/2 a mile giving him time to move over before I pass him on the right. The car behind me decides to go ahead and pass in the right lane. My exit is coming up so I get over behind the car who just went by doing the speed limit. As soon as I get over he SLAMS on his brakes!! So I grab a handful and in typical SV fashion the front dives hard. I am like WTF is this guy doing....so he speeds back up to the limit and im a little further back now and he does it again! The first time I gave him the benefit of the doubt and figured something had gone wrong and he was avoiding a problem. By now I am ****** and rightfully flip him the bird while behind him and 300' from my exit. He flips me off in his rear view and nails his brakes once more. I planned on it and cut off to the shoulder and passed right by his stupid ass and onto my off ramp. I was hoping he would follow me. I ride fairly conservative when commuting and at no time did I tailgate or cut anyone off. I don't know what his deal was about. It is a first for me to have someone try to really get in your way on purpose like that. Anyways...just wanted to rant a little.

However I can now speak highly of my Galfer brake pads
DannyB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
Trambo

Bikes: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Re: Someone tried to run me off the road...

Congrats on living to tell us all.

You realize he could have killed you, right?

You know you don't have a roll cage, seat belt, air bags, etc, right?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
DannyB22

Yeah as soon as I passed him hoping he would follow I started thinking that same thing. I was already looking for somewhere to stop where his car couldn't get to me or my bike. After the first time he slowed from about 70 to 40. Second time was maybe 65 to 35. I only stayed behind him because my exit was within reach and by now other people are passing by at 70 to my left.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Trambo

Bikes: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09

Only advice I'm offering is this: You gotta learn to let stuff like that go. Put as much space between you & people like that as possible.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
arget

Bikes: 2002 Suzuki SV650
Miles Kms: 30000

To be fair... that guy could kill anyone on the road, a motorcyclist is more susceptible however I think its a fair assumption that we've all been told that our vehicles (cars, motorcycle, scooter, ...shoes?) are weapons and that we are accepting that we could die every time we drive/ride/(walk?).

Congrats on surviving, he's probably had a run in with a douche of a rider. Stay alert!
arget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
DannyB22

I have enough respect for motorcycles to know that every time I throw a leg over it could potentially be my last. Too bad this is not something everyone realizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trambo View Post
Only advice I'm offering is this: You gotta learn to let stuff like that go. Put as much space between you & people like that as possible.

Good sound advice and should be heeded by everyone. Normally I can see these things before they arise and keep my distance but this came out of nowhere. The whole scenario began and ended all in about 1/2 mile and in no more than a minute's time.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
daviddowns2000
Supporting Member

Bikes: '02 and '05 SV650N

I think motorcycle gloves should come with the fingers sewn together so that flipping a bird is impossible and the recipient of the gesture thinks it is just a friendly wave. There are too many jackwads on the road to get into a confrontation with any of them. The guy was clearly one. Just get away from them as quickly as possible.
daviddowns2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
Woody67

Bikes: SV650S - Cowasocki ZZR600 Black 2007 Yamaha YZF-R1 Grey
Miles Kms: Enough to know bikes are dangerous..

I am glad that you made it home in one piece..!! I have learn't from my own experience, that when street riding, who is right or wrong, who did this or that, what the law says is ok, or not, doesn't mean a thing. All that matters is the end result - arriving. You got it done, good job....

Cheers,
Woody67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
frick

Bikes: '02 sv650, '08 ninjette, '11 Dorsoduro 750 (what is that thing?)

There are some people who hate motorcycles and will go out of their way to do things like that. It's irrational and dangerous, but expect it now and then. There are also people who think it's their job to block other people "going too fast" and pretend they are cops, and if you combine that person with a motorcycle hater--ugh.

Just let it go as Trambo said, if you react in a way like flipping the bird, they'll get even more ticked and irrational and dangerous.

Car > bike wins every time in physical combat.
frick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
RandyO
Site Supporter

Bikes: nekid red 99-135k 07VeeStrom1k- 70k

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB22 View Post
I stay back about 2 car links and pace him for maybe 1/2 a mile[snip] My exit is coming [snip] at no time did I tailgate

IBA#9560
A man with a gun is a citizen A man without a gun is a subject
RandyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement