***** NEW Official Maryland Thread ***** - Page 750 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Regional Forums > USA Rider Forum > North East
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

North East Region - ME, VT, NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, DE, MD, DC, PA

Old 05-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #7491
Mr Dawg

Bikes: 2006 BMF1000S / 2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R
Send a message via AIM to Mr Dawg Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Dawg
Re: ***** NEW Official Maryland Thread *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulphademus View Post
Size on the jackets?
First Gear (unknown model) size 50

Alpinestars TZ-1 size 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #7492
badguy

Bikes: 02 SV650S, 00 GS500E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree22 View Post
so i have a question to ask. this is sort of an opinion poll, and i'm directing this more towards people who have overhauled bikes/cars.

my dad has an old magna v65 i forgot about. that last time it ran was sometime about 11 years ago. it's been garage kept so the rust is little/none, and he's willing to let me have it to overhaul.

my concern is that i'm aware of the flaw in those engines with the camshaft not getting enough oil. the only thing holding me back from doing a rebuild on the engine and overhauling the bike is that genetic flaw. I'm not sure if i would react well if i spent 1-2 years working on this thing, dumping money into it, and then i put 10k miles on it and the cam seizes. but i'd really like the opportunity/experience to do a build like this.

any thoughts?
Basically what J-D and EM said. I still see people riding those from time to time (not sure if they are later models with that issue taken care of though...) so they can't be too bad. Like they said, there's likely a fix/precaution you can find that'll make it better. Either way, you can just say your bike has more character
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #7493
Tree22

Bikes: 07 sv650n
Miles Kms: 10k+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Mike View Post
There's definitely a mod that can be done to help it, although maybe not fix it.

That said, check up on pulling the carbs before you even consider it since that's apparently the hardest thing about that vintage V4.

Also, you can pull the cam covers to check them out. If they look okay, I'd go for it.
yeah i'm going to do the research on that as we speak, i'm pretty much decided on doing it, pending a solution (or improvement) to the oil flow issue.

as long as the cams or the carbs, i'm not too worried about it. the thing hasn't run for 11 years so i was pretty much ready to do a complete rebuild, and was assuming that 11 year old gas in the carbs means i'll be taking them apart and cleaning them anyway. i'm prepared to put a lot of time in, and i'm not in any rush. taking a year or more to complete is fine with me.

Edit: a little google work and it turns out there's a few mods to fix the oil problem. looks like i'm one step closer to pulling the trigger on this.

Last edited by Tree22; 05-18-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Tree22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #7494
Endless Mike

Bikes: N/A
Miles Kms: 4800

No, I mean pulling the carbs is apparently an ENORMOUS PITA on those bikes. But yay double V-twin supremacy!

From what I've read, the cam issue will be extremely obvious since it's not like small nicks but big chunks taken out, which to most people actually suggests a material problem, not an oiling one.
Endless Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #7495
BKK Jack

Bikes: 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, White!
Miles Kms: 1 @ delivery, it's a start.

I need a little local help. I bought some Vortex bar end sliders to use after taking the Napoleons off (crash thread - remember?).

The sliders are supposed to use the stock rubber plug, but the provided bolts are way too short. They only allow the plugs to go into the very end of the bar making them less than completely secure. I not only want to use the stock plugs, but I also want to use the stock spacers. This will give a more secure fix inside the bars, and will also allow me to wrap the spacer in lead tape to add some weight lost going from the stock weights to the sliders.

Basically, I'm looking for a M6 1.0 pitch by at least 80mm (~3 1/4") allen head bolt. Lowe's, Home Depot, and Ace don't even come close to having them. Fastenal does, but they don't break boxes, and I'd have to buy 50 of them. It would only be about $13 for all of them, but that would leave me with 48 bolts I probably would never need.

Here's a picture

Anyone know a good place to get what I need in NOVA?
Old 05-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #7496
allawd

Bikes: 2001 SV650 naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKK Jack View Post
I need a little local help. I bought some Vortex bar end sliders to use after taking the Napoleons off (crash thread - remember?).

The sliders are supposed to use the stock rubber plug, but the provided bolts are way too short. They only allow the plugs to go into the very end of the bar making them less than completely secure. I not only want to use the stock plugs, but I also want to use the stock spacers. This will give a more secure fix inside the bars, and will also allow me to wrap the spacer in lead tape to add some weight lost going from the stock weights to the sliders.

Basically, I'm looking for a M6 1.0 pitch by at least 80mm (~3 1/4") allen head bolt. Lowe's, Home Depot, and Ace don't even come close to having them. Fastenal does, but they don't break boxes, and I'd have to buy 50 of them. It would only be about $13 for all of them, but that would leave me with 48 bolts I probably would never need.

Here's a picture

Anyone know a good place to get what I need in NOVA?
I've had good luck with Fairfax Auto. The one near me in Alexandria has a pretty big fastener collection in the back.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #7497
BKK Jack

Bikes: 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, White!
Miles Kms: 1 @ delivery, it's a start.

Oooh, there's one on Terminal Road in Newington. That's not far from work.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #7498
Mandalorian

Bikes: Suzuki SV650 '00
Miles Kms: More by the day

What about McMaster Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/
Old 05-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #7499
Tree22

Bikes: 07 sv650n
Miles Kms: 10k+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Mike View Post
No, I mean pulling the carbs is apparently an ENORMOUS PITA on those bikes. But yay double V-twin supremacy!

From what I've read, the cam issue will be extremely obvious since it's not like small nicks but big chunks taken out, which to most people actually suggests a material problem, not an oiling one.
that's one of those debates i've seen going back and forth. i've heard of people getting aftermarket cams and the problem never happens again, but at the same time i read a testimony where after a guy did one of the oil mods he saw a 3.3 mpg increase using 6 tankfuls before and 6 tankfuls after the mod. that shouldn't happen. i'm betting it's a mixture of the two, but i found a DiY oil mod that costs less than 100 bucks for parts, and i figure with all the other money i'll be spending that's worth my piece of mind. aftermarket cams will also be purchased if the current ones don't look well.

at this point though i've decided i'm going to do it, it'll just be a matter of time and money. when i actually get things underway i'll be sure to start a build thread. and thanks to everyone for all of your feedback
Old 05-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #7500
SVN86

Bikes: Street Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill33 View Post
What about McMaster Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/
What he said
Advertisement