Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

05 sv650 fi error- code is c42

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  TeeRiver 
#1 ·
#2 ·
C42 is ignition input to ecu not present. Check the 4 pin green connector below tank open and spray in contact cleane then remake. If you have a volt meter you should have around 6vdc from the orange/ red wire to ground when the ignition is on. If not likely the ignition switch at fault.

#3 ·
... See thread already with video and looks like same thing in video.. Help?!?

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189241#/forumsite/20707/topics/189241?page=1
The problem in that video was due to a wiring error. Sounds like your problem is flaky anti-theft contacts inside the ignition switch. Different.

Have you ever used graphite to lubricate the ignition switch?

With the ignition switch ON and Run/Stop switch set to STOP does your gauge show "FI" or just "CHEC"?

#4 ·
TeeRiver,
you seem the expert on this issue, been having the same problem now for 2 years on my '08 (fuel pump won't prime, fiddle with key and/or kill switch a couple of times then it starts). can you point me in the direction of a step by step on how to correct the issue? My understanding is that i have to check the voltage and resistance between certain wires. is there anything simple to check first, loose connector, etc? I have never put any graphite in the ignition switch, but in order to do the front end swap i did have to use some heat on the bolts that held it onto the original triple as they had red loctite on it. hoping the heat didn't reduce the life of the ignitioion.

#5 ·
... i did have to use some heat on the bolts that held it onto the original triple as they had red loctite on it. hoping the heat didn't reduce the life of the ignitioion.
There is a good chance heat damaged the ignition switch resistor. Did the problem start only after heating? Was the ignition switch glowing cherry red? :evil6:

If you can make it fail easily, measure voltage on the Orange/Red wire between the green ignition switch connector and the ECM. You should see about 4.5v. How far off from this value will say whether the problem is a burnt resistor or a flaky connection. With electrical repairs it is always nice to know the cause, no guessing.

Or you can simply bypass the internal ignition switch resistor with an external resistor to see if the problem goes away. If you want to do the bypass, post back for details.

#7 ·
Be aware, the bike must be failing at the time of measurement else the voltage reading will not be meaningful.

A third option is unplug the ignition switch at the green connector and directly measure resistance between Orange and Orange/Yellow. Should see a solid 100 ohm reading, if not, then the resistor or switch contacts are bad. Again, this test will only give result if the switch is currently failing.

Or as mentioned, bypass the resistor externally, 90% chance that will fix the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.