R.I.P to my 2000 SV650 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 1999-2002 model SV650.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #1
SofloSv

R.I.P to my 2000 SV650

Sad day today. :’(
On my way into work, while experiencing no malfunctions, or signs/symptoms of any irregularities. I go to pass a car on the one lane alternate highway along the river which is my daily route to the shop I currently work at, and my Candy Grand Blue Curvy starts knocking like the police. I pulled over to a driveway and check my oil window. Bone dry... Now I just maybe two months and 1.6k miles ago got the bike back from the mechanic who had fixed a fuel delivery issue in the carbs, in doing so he did an oil & filter change and I had checked the oil window about 2 weeks ago and the level seemed fine. But somehow, this morning, I have absolutely no oil in my case. Not a drop of oil under my bike in the garage either btw... how tf does this happen? I mean, every engine burns SOME oil, but +/-2000cc in less than a month?! Anyways, I texted my boss that my bike took a **** and that I’d be late, called my wife and woke her and the boys up to come in the car which I keep oil in the trunk of, I filled my crankcase with oil and told her to put the hazards on behind me as we tried to limp back home about 2 miles away at 10mph. About a quarter mile from where I had originally pulled off the engine seized up on me 😓 has to go to my father in laws to get his truck and trailer and tow my bike back to my house. Then off to work 2hours late... I’ll miss my blue, out of the 3 bikes I’ve owned she is the only one that has been fairly reliable and ridden more than 100miles.(my 89 Honda F1 hurricane and 94 Ninja 600 were both bad choices for projects, biting off more than I can chew) this K1 SV has some good memories. What does the SVRider community recommend I do with the scrap I have? I’m trying to decide. My thoughts are CL for maybe 3-500 for the whole bike as is, Swap the whole engine(might be able to handle on my own with minimal help) just a $500-1000 investment and moneys kinda tight..(do y’all think I’d be able to sell the seized engine after the swap? How much and how long?) or any suggestions? I don’t think rebuilding would be cost effective, and would leave the risk of other damages parts that weren’t caught.. idk, so bummed. And now I’m down to one vehicle again and my wife needs transportation being a stay at home mom... feels so ****ty, idk where tf all that oil went 😢
SofloSv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019, 03:31 AM   #2
Straticus

Bikes: 1999 X naked Curvy
Miles Kms: 23,000
Re: R.I.P to my 2000 SV650

Total bummer

Sorry to hear about the Bike.I've had engines go on me,not nice.Also had a Motorcycle nicked<Stolen> from my house which was rammed and then burnt out by Aholes.Totally gut wrenching

I don't think you will get a lot for the engine because as you say there's not knowing what else could have been damaged.You might be able to source a running engine if the rest of the Bike is worth it?

As for where the oil went no idea but it might be worth having a word with the Mechanic and see if he has any ideas?
Old 07-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #3
SofloSv

Yeah, I stopped by the mechanics after work yesterday and he suggested sabotage &#x1f605;&#x1f3fb; Said that maybe someone drained my oil to spite me... possible I guess but not likely. It’s a mystery! Bummed to the maxx

Old 07-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #4
Wedgewood

Bikes: 2003 Suzuki Sv650s
Miles Kms: 24000

Feel around your oil filter to see if it's wet. Last year I installed an Emgo oil filter and noticed my oil was draining out of the bike without leaving any puddles, not even a drop on my garage floor. It seemed like it would only leak while it was under load.
Wedgewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
Kenneth
Site Supporter

Bikes: 99 ZRX1100, 01 SV650
Miles Kms: 24000 on the SV

My newly acquired, 25K mile 2001 650N uses oil. Without knowing what type of swill the previous owner might have been running in it (it had a Fram filter), I ran it for a few hundred miles and calculated it's using about a liter per 2000 miles, which is well within the normal range of oil consumption. I changed the oil, 15W40 Rotella, and installed a quality NAPA oil filter. Went for a 230 mile flog and it seemed to not use any at all. I'm expecting this to be a fluke, and I continue to put the bike up on the swing arm stand and carefully check the oil level at the end of every ride. The bottom line is motorcycles are not cars. 39 cubic inches and 65 horsepower on regular gas, these little motors are tweaked far beyond any car engine, and they require both careful monitoring and a spirit of humble gratitude for what they are capable of. I have thus far put $1100 into the suspension and another $200 into making it comfortable. Over the years I intend to own it I will become better aquatinted with its needs and will adjust accordingly. These engines can easily go over 100,000 miles. Some use oil, some don't. If I need to put a $500 used engine in it then so be it, but it's running fantastically at the moment and the moment is all that matters. I don't expect to ever get my money back out of it, that's not the point. We ride SV650's because they are awesome, because used parts are plentiful and cheap, because Ducati guys are mostly pompous squids and it's really fun to show 'em the back of your bike.

You and your bike are on a journey together. It's not your mechanic's fault that you ran it out of oil and broke it. Trust me, it can return the favor and break you far worse. If you're gonna be a biker then accept and deal with the reality of the situation, or find another, safer pass time. I asked an old bike mechanic about his warranty once, he told me that if it ever breaks in two I get to keep both pieces.

Hope this helps.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:01 AM   #6
sv650bklyn

Bikes: 2006 SV650 (Gen 2)
Miles Kms: 52000 mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedgewood View Post
Last year I installed an Emgo oil filter and noticed my oil was draining out of the bike without leaving any puddles, not even a drop on my garage floor. It seemed like it would only leak while it was under load.
I have the same issue with my Emgo filter. I chalked it up to not having it tightened enough the first time. But even after re-tightening it, I can still wipe off a bit of oil at the gasket.
I'll change it out for a new Emgo filter soon and will make sure to tighten it fully, but this makes me wonder if it's a design flaw.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
SofloSv

Thank you Kenneth for the reply. Your right, I do love my SV. The first time I saw it on Craigslist, I just knew she had to be mine. The tubular trellis frame matched with the “Candy Grand Blue” paint, all for the affordable price of $1800. I’ve been looking into engines on EBay, there is one available for local pickup in Tampa (about 4 hours from where I live) so I’m considering a day trip to grab it once I can put $600 together.. the timing really sucks, but I really do want to keep the bike. Expensive lesson to learn, but now I see firsthand the importance of diligent pre/post ride inspections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39C472EE-76DD-466A-A287-1C834FC8C6D8_1563115677750.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	43569  
Old 07-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #8
maxmph

Bikes: 1999 sv 650
Maybe the vacuum petock failed? Did crankcase smell like fuel? (just making a guess)
maxmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:52 PM   #9
Junkie

Bikes: 06 1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmph View Post
Maybe the vacuum petock failed? Did crankcase smell like fuel? (just making a guess)
that would only make sense if it was too full
Old 07-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #10
VTWINPOWER

Bikes: '07 BMW '14 FZ09,12 ZX6R(sold),'01 SV650 project,'06 SV650n (sold),05 SV650s(sold), 06 SV1000s(sold)
Miles Kms: millions

Changing the engine is a 2 person job and a day as you have never done it.
At least you can be ready to slap the new one in. Take the tank off, drain coolant and oil (whatever is left) disconnect everything you see( I use different color tape to mark stuff), take carbs, radiator, exhaust off and then drop the old engine.
Take pictures how the routing is.
It's not that hard, just pay attention.
I have done other bikes, not SV.
Maybe someone can chime in if one of the bolts has to go in first?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Advertisement