Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

How to tell SVS from SV lower triple clamp?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  steveSLO 
#1 ·
I've got a 2006 SVS that I just bought an upper triple clamp to do a handlebar conversion with. I just found out I need the lower to match the SV upper I just bought. Is there an easy way to tell the difference between the SVS lower and the naked SV lower? I'm looking on ebay and none of the sellers differentiate between the two.

#4 ·
I'm not sure exactly what you are looking at. Here are the diagrams from Ron Ayers for the two lower triples:

S:

N:

The "S" triple shows a drilled mounting hole for attaching the brake line, whereas the "N" triple does not. Any other differences (steering stop shape, steering stem) are just due to "vagueness" in the drawing. Are there other differences I am missing?

The funny thing is, my "N" bike looks exactly like the "S" diagram, and so does every single photo of a lower triple, "N" or "S", on e-bay. As far as I can tell it's another example of the part diagram being incorrect and inaccurate.

I can't see any way to visually differentiate between an "S" and an "N" lower triple.

#6 ·
I've bought quite a few (3) of the lower triples. There's really no way to tell beforehand.
You slide the forks into the bottom and hope the top fits.
Unless I missed something.
I thought the bottom, which has numbers stamped onto it, would tell but nope; There's no difference from what I've seen.

If I had to redo it I would recommend clip-on risers, or the svracingparts raised clip-ons.
Much easier and you don't have to mess with the steering stem, etc.
You can get away with rerouting the stock cables, it'll take a lot of routing and finicking but it can be done.

#8 · (Edited)
Do you know of any instances where doing this caused any issues? I get what you're saying, by the numbers and in theory it's not quite right. However, the reality is that the n triple slipped on my bike with the same effort as the s and the bike works as it should, so therefore (in my definition at least) it fits fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.