absolutely no power to rear wheel - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-2015 model SV650.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #1
saturdaycool

Bikes: 2005 SV650n
Miles Kms: 27k+
absolutely no power to rear wheel

so I again cleaned my fuel pump about a week ago, and went to visit a friend who lives about 220 miles away. I was getting clutch slip, which seems to be in the same vein as a dirty ass fuel pump, but either way I slowly chugged my way there <10k rpm

on the way back, 30 miles in, it was especially bad. barely can get moving, had to be up a gear just to get moving, etc. then finally I lose all power to the rear wheel. pulled over, knew I was screwed. a couple of knowledgeable guys stopped by and messed with the clutch cable, etc, but I knew I was done for. had to get a 190mi tow back, and I'm NOT happy

basically. what do I need to look for. I can put the bike in gear, release the clutch all the way, and rev the engine up like im going 10000mph, but I don't move. I know my fuel pump is garbage and my tank is rusty as an mf, but that issue isn't even on the forefront right now

what do I need to do to get the bike MOVING again
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #2
saturdaycool

Re: absolutely no power to rear wheel

also when I was doing job training in Houston I had clutch slip just like this and had to get new plates. that was 2k miles ago or less. so what the hell

what im dealing with:
https://youtu.be/HpaTCvn4eIg

Last edited by saturdaycool; 05-06-2016 at 05:52 PM.
saturdaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
golden chicken

Miles Kms: 58,000

What kind of oil are you using, out of curiosity?

Old 05-07-2016, 12:20 AM   #4
RecoilRob

Bikes: '07 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 43379

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdaycool View Post
also when I was doing job training in Houston I had clutch slip just like this and had to get new plates. that was 2k miles ago or less. so what the hell

what im dealing with:
https://youtu.be/HpaTCvn4eIg
Sure sounds like you cooked the clutch again. Which makes one believe you repaired the symptom but not the actual problem before. Putting in fresh plates will make the clutch work, but if it's not adjusted right it won't live long.

And a bit of advise....if the clutch starts slipping...STOP!!! Continuing to ride with it slipping will kill it. Slight slippage is a sure sign that something is wrong and it needs to be fixed...or you'll be walking. Find the CAUSE!!!
RecoilRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
steveSLO
AARP Moderator

Bikes: '08 SV650N/abs
Miles Kms: 20,000

Good thoughts here. Lubrication and adjustment both have to be right.
Is it possible that the previous owner had the same problem? If this is the third set of friction plates, I would suggest checking the driven plates for wear and warping.
A set of driven plates, friction plates and springs would total about $150 for parts, and the labor cost is the same as just friction plate replacement.
If a rifle doesn't do the job, reach for the shotgun
Old 05-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
saturdaycool

yeah the problem was i thought it was a fuel pump problem again because last time it was that i couldnt rev over 8k, this time it was just .... well slip. incredibly expensive differentiation to learn, *******

is it possible that with a full clutch cable adjustment - at the pushrod - i could at least get it moving? or does it seem like im totally fried?
Old 05-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
saturdaycool

also had to have a shop do it last time because i was out of town, what do i need to do that they didnt? part of why im super sour is that it cost me an arm and a leg - usually id try to fix myself

just a full adjustment after reinstall??

with everything ive had to fix on this bike im now double what i bought it for. the more you know eh?

in town i have several great mechanic buddies, but i dont have the cash to pay for labor right now and i need to get rolling again. they have the parts and advise though. its been a week! a fully - or even kinda - working sv650 is everything right now
Old 05-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #8
Nickster60

Bikes: 2006 sv 650
Miles Kms: 14000

Clutch cooked what are you using for oil
Nickster60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
r0ckrat
Greetings Program

Bikes: '06 SV650N
Miles Kms: >60k

If it was a new set of plates, you should check the adjustment (clutch mantra in the FAQS) after a couple hundred miles. If you follow the procedure, you might even be able to get some clutch action back now, although it sounds like you royally cooked it this time.

If you have new plates (both friction and driven plates) put in, re-adjust again after a couple hundred miles. It's a pretty quick job to adjust, and should be done on a regular basis.
I didn't want to be THAT obvious. The man is dealing with his wife. Let it be her idea, dummy!
r0ckrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:13 PM   #10
steveSLO
AARP Moderator

Bikes: '08 SV650N/abs
Miles Kms: 20,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckrat View Post
If it was a new set of plates, you should check the adjustment (clutch mantra in the FAQS) after a couple hundred miles. If you follow the procedure, you might even be able to get some clutch action back now, although it sounds like you royally cooked it this time.

If you have new plates (both friction and driven plates) put in, re-adjust again after a couple hundred miles. It's a pretty quick job to adjust, and should be done on a regular basis.
and springs
Advertisement