Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Official New York City SV thread

71K views 1K replies 84 participants last post by  "A" 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I decided to make this thread after spotting over 10 SV's (1st and 2 Gens) on my daily rides around New York City (all boroughs) and im sure there are more out there.

So let the thread begin, hopefully someday we can do a local meet and share shop experiences and local riding/parking tips.

-1st Gen 99' Red here, Manhattan.

Shop Tips:
JL Cycles in Queens - 34-08 46th St in LIC -718-289-6501 These guys are super nice, knowledgeable, VERY VERY cheap compared to everyone else (I used to go to Camrod), and they do free pickups with a trailer if they are going to work on your bike. The owner Jay is some cowboy from Texas (hat and boots), they just did my fork seals and detailed the bike. They paint too, ill have them do my wheels soon. Right off the 59th st bridge.

And no I have no affiliation with these people.

Anyway what do you guys think? Do a meet someday?

#1,161 ·
Homeboy is 2+ hours away in CT, I mailed them, and he says they're almost done. Even if "almost" means I have them back in another two weeks, it's probably not worth moving the operation to another shop. But if I can throw some other calipers on for a few weeks, I'd gladly do that.

#1,164 ·
Edit: My 25th post. Finally I can post in the For Sale / Trade / Parts Wanted forums. A bit of a silly rule.
Not really. If I want to buy a bike from a stranger, I go on eBay or CL. If I'm buying on a forum, I'm looking for an owner with a posting history, so that I can see at least some of what they've done to the bike and the type of owner vibe I get from them. That's why you don't want a forum to become a classifieds ad place, or another place you can spam your ad on.

Not saying anything negative towards you mind you. Just saying the rule keeps things in check, and keeps a forum a community.

#1,163 ·
Sorry to blow up this thread.

About this time last year I saw a clean, grey SV650 parked in Williamsburg near the waterfront. It was really slick, had some stickers. Don't remember details beyond that. But it caught my eye and I remember it a year later. Anybody know anything about that bike?

#1,166 · (Edited)
I am a reputable member of at least 3 other forums with 1,000+ posts on each. I've seen small limits but never 25. It was just annoying trying to get to 25 posts - I don't want to post nonsense just for the sake of posting - 25 posts can take a long time for some folks. Let the buyer or seller beware. If you're not comfortable with the buyer or seller's post history, don't buy or sell from/to them. And nobody should be buying a bike blind from anybody.

Starting threads is one thing, but you can't even reply to threads to ask questions etc. in the For Sale / Parts Wanted boards until you're at 25. Thankfully, you can still PM posters.

#1,167 ·
To be honest, the f/s rules here are relatively lax. Some of the car forums I'm on require 25-50 posts before you can even view the classifieds or PM, let alone start a thread in them. They also require a dated sign w/user name in every photo, photo of the VIN, etc...

On another note, does anyone here ever do a midnight kind of run into the city over the summer?

#1,168 ·
Interesting, maybe it's more lax than I realize. Sorry if anything I said came off the wrong way.

Anyway:

Midnight runs in the city - pretty much my favorite thing. Did something along those lines probably 10 times last year. Always surprised when I realize I did 90 miles in a few short hours without ever leaving city boundaries. Really fun and I'm always down.

Daytime, well, same deal, more traffic. I like early morning runs down to the Rockaways etc.

#1,169 ·
Ya, true that you could just ignore an ad by someone with like 1 post, but at the same time, I don't want to wade through a few screens worth of posts, or look at bikes I've already seen on CL, ebay, or another forum.

25 posts shouldn't be hard over a few weeks. I have no idea how I am nearing 5k posts myself. I'm no expect on this bike lol

#1,170 ·
Hey dudes, so my bike is in Bushwick, where I live, I've got a new chain & sprockets installed on my bike but need to press my rivet, and ASAP, by like 1pm tomorrow latest.

So a few questions:

1. Any local shops that sell chain rivet tools?
2. Or, anyway want to swing by and press my chain in the morning? Will pay ya.
3. Anybody want to lend me a tool? Again, will pay ya.

Let me know if any ideas. Thanks.

#1,180 ·
Anyone in NYC with a spare clutch lever that will fit a 2nd gen that I can borrow? I got creamed by an SUV driver who didn't use her mirrors on Kenmare St this morning, and the bike is still parked there, stuck in gear w/ broken controls. I'm going to try and hobble it back to Brooklyn tonight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.