Track day at Loudon on my wife's bike - video - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:46 AM   #1
Marc
Supporting Member

Bikes: '00 sv650 blue, '01 sv650s red, '76 RD400 green, '76 RD400 red
Track day at Loudon on my wife's bike - video

That's a Duc 900S that scoots by me in the beginning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzMWd_SEqt8
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2006, 08:00 AM   #2
nd4spd

Send a message via MSN to nd4spd
Re: Track day at Loudon on my wife's bike - video

nice pass on the duck.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:25 AM   #3
GeorgeZboy
Site Supporter

Bikes: 01 SVS
Miles Kms: 38,000 mi

Thanks for sharing that... I'd wondered what a difference an SV would make out there. I'm suprised you don't grab a gear between T2 and T3, but amazed you're not shifting over the hill... On my BC350 I need to grab one shift in the turn and one more just before the crest.
Were you there for Penguin school? That'd explain the Duck...

Old 07-27-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
brady

Bikes: 2002 SV650 naked street/race
Miles Kms: 30,000+

George, that was Tony's Track Day this past Tuesday. There was a large organized group of Ducs there, and they did most of the crashing as well. You should come out for one with the SV. How's the vintage racing going on the Honda?
I'm in the same gear from T1 through the braking zone for T3, downshift into T3, and grab an upshift in T5. Marc shifts less than I do and goes much faster, it's annoying

Marc, it was good ridng with you, Clay, and Ken, and thanks for the video attempts. We'll work the timing out better at the next one.
CCS/LRRS #122
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
zupatun
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
That's a Duc 900S that scoots by me in the beginning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzMWd_SEqt8
Neat video,

Hard to tell, cause I'm not drivin, but I can hear you crack the gas open just as you cross over the seam at 4, but seems you might be able to power up the hill to five a little more strongly--Most people just don't open it up early enough--I passed a couple RC51's up the hill on 5 because I'd get on it early and harder than they would--never had a problem with the tire breaking away there and you can drift wider at 5 --lots of real estate left over if you lift it up early.

Into 6 the 900 had a nice line --he stays just to the left of center rather than starting wide. This makes a late apex on six which lends to keeping corner speed until the end of six and you don't waste realestate by heading into six from wide out on the entrance. Plus you end up on the inside of a lot of people and keep a tight line on the late apex rather than a big loopy turn.

BTW the 900 has a funky line into turn one--way too inside. No reason not to stay on the brakes later and with a wider line (like you did) maintain your speed into turn one--there's so much room there if you F up you have lots of runoff. His inside line and early turn in means he has to drop his entrance speed lest he run really wide and boot someone off the track if he gets in too hot.

Looks like a lot of fun.

The other thiing I like is keeping a tight line on ten while keeping my speed up--lots of room to run wide there the key is to maintain your speed--if you try to round it off or apex early you have to go slower and it kills your momentum and your entrance speed into 11 (good place to pass a lot of people if you keep your speed from 10).

My favorite place to pass people is up the hill (4 to 5) by getting on it early and soaking up the bump over hte seam...lots of fun. I never really had a good turn 6--I know lots of people who did it better--maybe it's my aversion to coming downhill into that big left hander I don't know.

I got 9 down after the first 3 sessions and really was able to carry it well (apex and kind of double it/drift wide into 10 and drif wide past 10 keeping my speed up.

Very fun track...

Looks like you ride it well.
Matt Roth<br />NESBA #42<br />&#039;99 VFR800<br />&#039;00 SV650 &#039;Nekkid Dual Purpose<br />&#039;96 VFR750 (RIP)
zupatun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
ridesideways

Bikes: Two '01 SV650 race bikes; '06 Brutale 910 street bike; '06 Yamaha TTR125 pit bike
Miles Kms: 3.14

what kind of tires does your wife have on her bike?
Old 07-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
Dobber

Bikes: SV650S K6

I've been checking out Tony's Trackdays website lately. I'm very tempted to sign up for one.

Was it worth the cash.ola?
&#039;06 SV650s - RED
Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #8
GeorgeZboy
Site Supporter

Bikes: 01 SVS
Miles Kms: 38,000 mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
* You should come out for one with the SV. How's the vintage racing going on the Honda?
One more all-street season on the SV and then it starts getting track sessions. For now I still need to learn the Honda better. We have a HUGE gap in vintage racing between Bike Week and Labor Day, so it'd be nice to get an SV day in there. I'm pretty slow on the Honda... I still have lots to learn and the bike isn't that competitive, either. I need lots more track time+vacation days+income.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
brady

Bikes: 2002 SV650 naked street/race
Miles Kms: 30,000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber
I've been checking out Tony's Trackdays website lately. I'm very tempted to sign up for one.

Was it worth the cash.ola?
It's worth every penny, even more if you take advantage of the one on one instruction offered every session in the afternoon. I've made it a priority over other things I used to spend fun money on, and have done 5 or 6 days since my first one last June. There are always at least a few SV's in each of the three groups.
CCS/LRRS #122
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:37 PM   #10
wonderjosh

That track looks scary. Wonderjosh doesn't like walls and armco. Run off looks to be in short supply as well.

Makes me love my local track that much more.*
wonderjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement