Crash Report - One Handed Typing Sucks! (Very pic heavy) - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
Datech

Bikes: 1997 Honda Magna, 2003 SV650S (sold 2011)
Miles Kms: 15xxx and climbing
Crash Report - One Handed Typing Sucks! (Very pic heavy)

EDIT: List of stuff I need to replace:
  • Right footpeg - Forum member?
  • Front brake lever - Fazzo clutch and brake levers ordered
  • rear brake lever - Forum member or cheap aftermarket?
  • bar end sliders - eBay Delrin pieces?
  • frame sliders Motosliders through Blair next week?
  • midpipe?
  • mirrors - Replaced with stock for time being
  • turn signals - forum member stockers, other suggestions?

Refer to post 84 for other updates.

I'll do a picture story first, since that is what many want to see:

The day's riding group:

The incident:

The bike:

Personal Damage:

The Gear:

HJC FS-15 Carbon:

Fieldsheer Razor:

Right Shoulder:-
Right Forearm-
Left forearm-

Kobe back protector:

Joe Rocket Meteor boots:

A* SP2 Gloves:

A* Reflex knee and shin guards:

Datech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #2
Datech

Bikes: 1997 Honda Magna, 2003 SV650S (sold 2011)
Miles Kms: 15xxx and climbing
Re: Crash Report - One Handed Typing Sucks! (Very pic heavy)

Icon ARC Overpants:
Back -
Front-
Butt rash-
Right hip rash-
Right knee-

Left knee-

Now for the hopefully short story,
Who:
Me, Datech, Daniel VanBeek on my 2003 Suzuki SV650S

What:
A single vehicle accident as the result of a tankslapper, causing a broken right clavicle (collarbone) and a broken #4 rib. Also heavy bruising and minor abrasions.

When:
4/24/11 a little after noon.

Where:
North of Helen, GA, on Richard B. Russell Scenic Hwy 348.

Why:
Because sometimes a series of minor events lead to a catastrophic one. That, and according to a relative, we participate in the most dangerous adrenaline sport there is, and it's stupid!

How:
Yesterday I was riding with a group of 8 other people, 4 of which I ride with on a regular basis. We were riding very twisty, north Georgia roads that I tend to ride once a month during the season. For those of you who know the area, we started the day on 60 from Dahlonega, took a right at the Rock Pile to go to Turner's Corner, did a very spirited run up 129 and down past Vogel, and did a more relaxed ride down and back Wolf Pen Gap (180). Our FZ6R rider, one of the most experienced of the group, actually washed out in a turn on WPG due to front brake chatter from a warped rotor. He and the bike were fine, but apparently we should have called it a day there.

We decided to continue on our normal route, and we went to do a down and back from the north side of 348. Road conditions were perfect, and there was little traffic of any kind at noon on Easter Saturday. The BMW rider had left, and we had split into two groups, with me riding sweep in the faster group behind the ZX6R, ZX9R, and the FZ6R. By the time of the crash we were about 3/4 of the way down the mountain, and the CBR600RR leading the slower group was only ~1/4 mile behind me.

I ride with the 4 bikes I just mentioned all the time, and we know each others' skill levels fairly well. Our faster group was staying together very well throughout the 348 ride, and I believe that we were riding at about 80-90% of our personal limits. I never once felt in over my head or that I was going too fast in the ride, and I was actively trying to focus on late turn in points through most of the ride. The FZ6R in front of me even motioned me forward once because I nailed one turn and closed our distance way too quickly. I backed off for the rest of the ~3/4 mile before I crashed, but we were still running a very tight and seemingly well skilled group.

You guys know what a banked turn is? Say I'm making a gradual left at speed, civil engineering says that a banked curve will be lower on the left side than the right? Well, this was a counter-banked curve (or whatever the proper term is), and the left side was higher than the right. I can't say by how much, but I think that it is significant considering what happened.

I scraped a peg in the turn. No big deal, I used to scrape constantly on my Ninja 250. Sure, this is the first time I've ever scraped on the SV, but why panic? I feel my peg leverage my rear wheel out a bit, it recovers, and I begin to track a much wider line through the curve. No biggie, I obviously wasn't leaned off enough (Total Control style) or else I wouldn't have scraped, so lean off more and try to keep the chassis stable. Sweet, I'm on the shoulder but I'm not gonna go in the grass or hit the mountain!

*bump*

All of a sudden I'm back in the road, and oh holy hell, I'm in a tank slapper. Time didn't slow down, my life didn't flash before my eyes, and I didn't black out. In no time flat I went from Superman position, to wondering where my bike was, to hitting the ground, attempting to make the fetal position for protection, and then doing three complete barrel rolls. I rolled over to the side of the road, and lay there trying to catch my breath and do breathing exercises to calm myself down.

The bump, as best I can figure, was probably a chunk of pavement or large pothole on the shoulder that I hit. My front end definitely came up since I was seemingly teleported back onto the road, and when it came down it never recovered it's stability. Tankslappers suck.

My CBR showed up very quickly and made sure I was alive. FZ6R turned around at the next turn when he realized I wasn't there. Then everyone else poured onto the scene rather quickly for a damage assessment. I laid on my back and did a full body check, and the only thing I could find was pressure between my shoulder and neck. I was able to sit up with help and got my helmet and jacket off after a thorough neck and back evaluation. Then I felt my collarbone with my hand, immediately knew it was broken, and had my buddies call 911 for a motorcycle accident with injury and possible shock.

The first responder was the White County Fire Chief with a Georgia Tech shirt on (my college), and talking about how his son does motocross. One of the paramedics has a 97 YZF1000 Thunder Ace, and the Georgia State Patrol Officer didn't even come close to writing me a ticket! An ambulance trip, some painful breathing, 4mg of morphine, and some Xrays later I was released and was able to make it to a wedding reception by 8pm!

Notable quotes:
ZX6R: "Honestly, my money was on [CBR] for this."
Fireman standing over me in one of the pictures: "Anyone ever tell you you're really friggen heavy?"
Upon me stating that I'm 220lbs, motorcycle paramedic says: "****, we don't carry that much morphine."
Datech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
slimesbro

Bikes: 07 SV650R SOLD
Miles Kms: 10k+ miles

wow that sucks. hope you heal up and ride again. when your ready to rebuild I may have a few parts you can have. I hope you have insurance. your bike will more than likely be a total loss. buy it back and rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walo View Post
Of course, haven't you been enjoying the groupies and VIP treatment everywhere you go?
slimesbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
drinkbrew
Supporting Member

Bikes: 2008 SV650SF
Miles Kms: 35,000
Send a message via Yahoo to drinkbrew

Glad to hear your still with us, hopefully you have a quick recovery.
drinkbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
drinkbrew
Supporting Member

Bikes: 2008 SV650SF
Miles Kms: 35,000
Send a message via Yahoo to drinkbrew

Your notable quotes reminds me of my first group ride with people from this site. One of the guys lowsided and I was the only one behind him. When the guys at the top of the hill heard there was a SV down they came back down to meet us and said "I figured it would have been drinkbrew that crashed". Well my turn was a year later at the same place.
drinkbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:54 AM   #6
Doghouse

Bikes: Suzuki SV 650
Miles Kms: 8000

Dude:
Thankfully other than the collarbone you are OK.
Huge props for total gear. That probably saved your knee and likely concussion stuff. Those rips and tears on the leg and helmet are serious stuff.

I gonna play the DAD card here, but you should take away a personal learning from this wreck. It likely wasn't the peg, the wide line or the pothole. What did the "pilot" do wrong before any of that?
Some examples from previous folks crashing:
Going in too hot? Not paying enough attention? Not mental focus? Riding at or past skill set? Didn't read the road. blah blah blah.
Answer only to yourself because sooner or later there will be thoughts in the back of your mind about how close a call that was.
OK [/end DAD]
Good on you for posting pixs and narrative of the crash. This registers with us riders and is a good learning point for our next rides.
Just my 2 cents. All the best in healing up
-Larry
Old 04-25-2011, 03:05 AM   #7
Gary856

Bikes: 07SV650N(sold), DRZ-SM, ZX10R, WR250F, Multistrada, 690SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datech View Post
You guys know what a banked turn is? Say I'm making a gradual left at speed, civil engineering says that a banked curve will be lower on the left side than the right? Well, this was a counter-banked curve (or whatever the proper term is), and the left side was higher than the right.
banked to the inside of the turn = positive camber turn = good
banked to the outside of the turn = negative camber turn = bad

I had a 40 mph low-side early in my riding career - 3k miles. That brought me down to earth, and "crashing sucks" really hit home.

Heal up.
Gary856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:47 AM   #8
svjoel

Bikes: 2003 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 44,000

Man you were geared up, good on ya! Glad you made it out just fine.
svjoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:55 AM   #9
marlonjb007

Bikes: Track/Street, Suzuki SV-650 2006, 2006 S2R Ducati
Miles Kms: 8,200

Something very similar happened to a friend. He wasn't lucky enough to survive.

I am glad you are relatively ok. Heal well. And do look at the cause of the accident. That tank slapper happened for a reason.
marlonjb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #10
mg66

Bikes: '08 SV650ST
Miles Kms: Quite a bloody few and counting

Glad you're relatively ok. when do you expect to get back on the horse?

http://sv650.metromain.net/sv_pics/svs_logo.jpg
mg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement