Thinking of getting a 2006, but has a lot of miles... - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-2015 model SV650.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:57 AM   #1
Cgswss

Thinking of getting a 2006, but has a lot of miles...

OK, tried to buy a new Ď18 sv650 today buy couldnít get the loan approved. So no w Iím thinking Iíll buy a used one with cash, and get a new one next year. So I found a clean looking 2006 but it has nearly 45,000 miles on it. I donít know these bikes, but I think the new ones have the Alum cylinder with the electro plated liner. Meaning you canít really rebuild them. So what about the 2006? Does it have an old fashion sleeve so you can hone it and put in new rings? Is there anything I should know about a 2006?

Thanks! Craig
Cgswss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2018, 01:03 AM   #2
OfirMX
MOTORADOR

Bikes: DL1000, SV650, SV650S, GSF1250, GSX-R750, CRF-150R
Miles Kms: ∆
Re: Thinking of getting a 2006, but has a lot of miles...

45K is not a lot of miles. A well maintained SV engine will last a lot longer than that.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:12 AM   #3
sv650bklyn

Bikes: 2006 SV650 (Gen 2)
Miles Kms: 53000 mi

I just crossed 44,444 miles on my '06 and valve tappet clearance, and compression are in spec, and overall riding is better than ever (I take maintenance seriously). Just make sure to sync the throttle bodies yearly to keep the vibrations low.

From what I've read on other threads, you won't have to worry about your cylinder until way past 100k miles as long as you keep the correct oil level. And by then it's probably cheaper to just get a used engine with low miles. But yes, you could hone the cylinder and replace the rings if you so choose.

Build thread | Instagram @sv650nyc

Old 06-21-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
OfirMX
MOTORADOR

Bikes: DL1000, SV650, SV650S, GSF1250, GSX-R750, CRF-150R
Miles Kms: ∆

DO NOT hone an SV650 cylinder. Their walls are nikasil-lined and you will only ruin the coating. If, for whatever reason you must change the rings (I doubt you will ever need to), just clean the cylinder and de-glaze it lightly with a scotchbrite, then install your new rings and break in properly.

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #5
Junkie

Bikes: 06 1k

It should last double that.

OfirMX, I was pretty sure that the SV650 cylinders had an iron liner. The Gladius (and I suspect 4th gen) are nikasil.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #6
nocturnal305

Bikes: Suzuki Sv650s 2006
Miles Kms: 5K

How much does the seller want for the bike?
nocturnal305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #7
golden chicken

Bikes: 2005 SV650n
Miles Kms: 58,000

If OP is really only going to ride it for a year until s/he can afford a new, 0 mile bike, then what does it matter? A rebuild is an extremely invasive procedure for a bike that you're just gonna dump in a year. Keep oil in it, spray some lube on the chain once in a while, keep the tires inflated and ride for your year.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:08 AM   #8
Straticus

Bikes: 1999 X naked Curvy
Miles Kms: 24,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
If OP is really only going to ride it for a year until s/he can afford a new, 0 mile bike, then what does it matter? A rebuild is an extremely invasive procedure for a bike that you're just gonna dump in a year. Keep oil in it, spray some lube on the chain once in a while, keep the tires inflated and ride for your year.
+10

Only caveat.Better if it's close to stock and if it's in good cosmetic condition that's usually a sign of the owner/s have taken care of it mechanically as well.

My 2 cents

PS

See this post on a High Mileage SV650,

https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378946

Last edited by Straticus; 06-22-2018 at 05:40 AM.
Straticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:20 AM   #9
SD 650S

Bikes: SV650S

That's not a lot for an SV650.
SD 650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #10
Cgswss

The bike cost me $2200. Thant included a bunch of other stuff like two helmets, two leather jackets (one is a Joe racer). Groves, even shoes. The helmet is a upgrade for me, and the Bluetooth/ intercom systems seem to work just fine between my Son and I (he on a 2250 Ninja). The bike by the way, is actually for him, he is ready to move up from the 250.

I am very confused about the cylinder thing. I see overbore (1mm, 2mm, 3mm) pistons and “ big bore kits” advertised to fit the 2006, so I have to assume the cylinders have inserts. My question was a “ just in case”. I have never had a bike with an engine you couldn’t rebuild until over the winter I bought a BMW K100. With that bike, you just throw out the engine and buy a new(used) one. You can’t do overbore or even rings. I did not know the condition of this motor, so if it was rebuildable was a big part of the choice to buy it.

As it happens the bike does not smoke, and on the 170 mile drive home from picking it up, it did not show any reduction of the oil level. So far, the only think I hate is the tires on the thing. The rear is in need of replacement, and the front is not a lot better. The tires on the bike really “dance” on rain groves. Reminds me of in the old days when they had tires with stright line groves in them. Feels a lot like riding a dirt bike in loose sand! ( only at 80 mph). Not a big deal, as I was told about the tires up front. Chain and sprockets are new, so that is very good.

Somewhere along its history, it was dropped and the rash has been painted over. Over the winter, we will be stripping that and repainting the whole bike. At this time the plan called for repainting the frame a bright red and the rest of the bike on “ hot rod satin black” ( I’m happy to say we can get the spray max 2K paint in those colors)

I have not run a compression test on the bike yet, but it runs good and starts right up cold or warm. I filled the tank as full as I could get it before I left and drove the whole 170 miles without a fill up. Thinking back, that was a bad choice, I should have made a glass stop along the way! Can you say “ monkey butt?”.

While it wasn’t bought as a touring bike, I very happy with how much it likes running 70-80mph for long times.

So other then putting tires on it real soon now, it’s really a very nice bike, and soon as my son sells his 250, he will be searching out all the twisty roads near us.
Cgswss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement