Cause for concern? - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-2015 model SV650.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #1
nocturnal305

Bikes: Suzuki Sv650s 2006
Miles Kms: 5K
Cause for concern?

So I got stranded the other week in the middle of an airfield due to a bad charging system. I purchased a new R/R and am ready to install. Hoping it is just that and not the stator. Anyways, I took a picture of the harness that goes to the battery from the R/R. That green on the bottom two ports looks like corrosion. Should I do something to those ports? Dialectric grease?
Long-term fix ideas?
nocturnal305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
eddiemon
Chief Greeter

Bikes: 07 SV650 - 86 atc250R - 85 BW200
Re: Cause for concern?

Hi nocturnal305, You did test both rectifier and the stator?

In my case it was the stator but I did replace both.

Good luck!
Old 06-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
nocturnal305

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemon View Post
Hi nocturnal305, You did test both rectifier and the stator?

In my case it was the stator but I did replace both.

Good luck!
I checked the stators continuity to ground and there was none. I checked the continuity through the stator's windings and I got .001 on all 3. I haven't checked AC output from the stator yet, I will tonight.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:40 AM   #4
snailman153624

Bikes: '04 SV650

I would clean off the corrosion then just use silicone spray or dielectric grease.

Baking soda with a little bit of water works well (e.g. on a q-tip), and neutralizes any acids that are on the metal. You can also use various chemicals that remove/convert rust (inexpensive).
snailman153624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:53 AM   #5
Straticus

Bikes: 1999 X naked Curvy
Miles Kms: 24,000

That connector is a Motorcycle breakdown waiting to happen.The corrosion increases the resistances in the circuit making other components work harder and reduce their effective life.The same goes for the Main Connector from the Stator to the R/R.

I use a small jeweller's screwdriver or as small a screwdriver you can find with a bit of 500 grit wrapped around the end and carefully and gently remove corrosion whilst spraying with an Isopropyl Switch cleaner like Deoxit.

Then a final blast of the Switch cleaner when satisfied I've cleaned the contacts a enough.Then I treat all my Connectors and bulb holders with ACF50,

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

Which you can now get on Amazon,

https://www.amazon.com/ACF-50-ACF50-...keywords=acf50
Old 06-09-2018, 07:47 AM   #6
steveSLO
AARP Moderator

Bikes: '08 SV650N/abs
Miles Kms: 20,000

Quote:
Which you can now get on Amazon,
https://www.amazon.com/ACF-50-ACF50-...keywords=acf50
Would this stuff work on battery terminals? How about chains? It says basically you can spray it on anything except brake pads!

To the OP: sorry for the thread-jack. Inquiring minds, y'know
Old 06-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #7
Straticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveSLO View Post
Would this stuff work on battery terminals? How about chains? It says basically you can spray it on anything except brake pads!

To the OP: sorry for the thread-jack. Inquiring minds, y'know
Yes.It does all electrical connections.On chains not as a main lubricant but I used a thin smear on a new chain and the use normal oiling.

It can also be used on Steel Braided brake hoses and stock Brake hoses and Cooling pipes as it prevents the Metal parts of Braided hoses from corroding and the synthetic rubber/plastic parts from decaying.

I've been using it close to 15 years now.It's one of those rare things in life that actually does more than it says on the tin!

Cost wise it seems expensive but it's not as it goes a long long way as you don't need to use much.It's none toxic and even smells decent.

When I service my Brakes I use some on the pistons and seals but be careful of course not to allow any near the pads or discs.Since using it I've never yet had a brake piston or float pins etc seize.I also coat the tops of my Fork seals with it and the Dust covers.
I work on Aircraft and we've used it for years but around 15 years ago UK Bikers found out about it's fantastic anti-corrosion properties and started using it on their Machines.

When I Winterized my SV last year I put a thin coat using a rag all round my SV and she still looks like she did when put her away.

I can't even be bothered to polish it off as it doesn't look that bad e.g a bit like a thin satin finish that will soon wear off in use and then I'll clean her up

I've had my 1999 Curvy over a year now and she still ain't lookin' bad IMHO,

Old 06-12-2018, 12:12 AM   #8
sv650bklyn

Bikes: 2006 SV650 (Gen 2)
Miles Kms: 53000 mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveSLO View Post
Would this stuff work on battery terminals? How about chains?
Yes, on everything but chain, brakes, grips, foot rests and seats. It's a very light oil, so it can get messy quickly and will fling off easily.
Over in the UK they seem to blast it all over their bikes since they have such a rust prone climate, but for most others I'd use it very sparingly on parts you want to protect from corrosion and rust.
Get the DuPont Teflon Chain Saver for your chain.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
nocturnal305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straticus View Post
Yes.It does all electrical connections.On chains not as a main lubricant but I used a thin smear on a new chain and the use normal oiling.

It can also be used on Steel Braided brake hoses and stock Brake hoses and Cooling pipes as it prevents the Metal parts of Braided hoses from corroding and the synthetic rubber/plastic parts from decaying.

I've been using it close to 15 years now.It's one of those rare things in life that actually does more than it says on the tin!

Cost wise it seems expensive but it's not as it goes a long long way as you don't need to use much.It's none toxic and even smells decent.

When I service my Brakes I use some on the pistons and seals but be careful of course not to allow any near the pads or discs.Since using it I've never yet had a brake piston or float pins etc seize.I also coat the tops of my Fork seals with it and the Dust covers.
I work on Aircraft and we've used it for years but around 15 years ago UK Bikers found out about it's fantastic anti-corrosion properties and started using it on their Machines.

When I Winterized my SV last year I put a thin coat using a rag all round my SV and she still looks like she did when put her away.

I can't even be bothered to polish it off as it doesn't look that bad e.g a bit like a thin satin finish that will soon wear off in use and then I'll clean her up

I've had my 1999 Curvy over a year now and she still ain't lookin' bad IMHO,

This is something that will go a long way! Thanks for the recommendations. For that connector I ended up smearing it with dialectric grease on both connectors and just connected them. The sanding of the corrosion is something that I will do asap!
Old 06-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #10
Straticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal305 View Post
This is something that will go a long way! Thanks for the recommendations. For that connector I ended up smearing it with dialectric grease on both connectors and just connected them. The sanding of the corrosion is something that I will do asap!
There's a few videos on YT with people doing their own varied tests.Like all maintenance stuff it only holds it back.Parts still need to be checked and re-cleaned and re-treated from time to time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement