Some new and used parts - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV Modifications and General Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV Modifications and General Maintenance General information about modding and servicing your SV.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
LemonHead

Bikes: SV650n, DRZ400 SM
Miles Kms: 14k+ miles on each
Some new and used parts

Got some stuff in this week.
Picked up a ZX shock, Ricor intiminators, Gixxer Damper and TRE, thanks to a few forum members.
Also, sprung for a new seat cowl and front turn signals.
Been reading the threads for the installs. Now I have to see if it's as easy as they say. Never messed with the suspension before. Wish me luck.

LemonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 01:12 AM   #2
mbro

Bikes: '03 Suzuki SV650s
Miles Kms: 56000 KM
Re: Some new and used parts

There's more than enough expertise here to guide you through just about anything. I can't see because of the angle - what viscosity of fork oil did you select? I believe Ricor recommended 7 or 8 weight? I used a suction tube to change the fork oil in mine, however I have since learned that my process was cutting a corner, and that you should remove the fork tubes, remove the fork cap, spring, spacer, turn upside down, stroke, re-fill, and as Haynes says "installation is the reverse of removal". Take with some salt.

Looks like you're on the right track for suspension improvements. Is that shock for a ZX10 or ZX14? How much do you weight? My calculations show the spring rate for the ZX10 shock is about ideal for a 195lbs rider, and ZX14 for a 220+ rider. And I've heard lots of good things about the ricor Intiminators, however don't have a pair myself (yet). I did opt for a pair of .85 springs (I'm about 180, and ride street). I believe Ricor provides a recommended fork oil - might be 5W. And a steering dampener - is there more mounting hardware Have fun, keep us posted with status and results.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:08 AM   #3
LemonHead

Was able to get the Intiminators, Shock and Seat Cowl installed this afternoon. Wasn't to difficult. Pulled the forks and let 'em drain. While draining removed rear shock and that plastic guard thing. Then cut out most of the tool box. Decided to leave the back of the tool box for now to keep the road crap off of the suspension. I'll cut the rest of it off when I get a Hugger.
Cut 9/16" off the stock fork spacers and put the forks back together. I used 5 wt. oil with about 6" air gap. I believe the shock is from a 07 ZX10 special edition bike. It has 338mm hole spacing. Is there any other way to determine for sure? The bike does sit a little higher now.
From what I've read, now I have to adjust preload to set the Sag. Should be able to go for a quick ride tomorrow to see how everything feels.
Also, waiting to see how the damper mounting kits for the naked models turn out that nucular is working on. And Merry Christmas everyone. ** LH

I hope it's a ZX10r SE shock (I only weigh about 165 with gear).

Got it back together. Test ride tomorrow.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:16 AM   #4
LithiumSky

Bikes: La Negra Tomasa 2006 SV650S
Miles Kms: Doce mil y punta

That looks like a ZX-14

Trolling the world...one forum at a time.
LithiumSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:28 AM   #5
Spierings

Bikes: k3 sv650n

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonHead View Post
I used 5 wt. oil with about 6" air gap.
When it goes to internal suspension upgrades to the stock forks i am stil a noob but is a 6" air gap not a bit much ?? I always read about a 110-130mm air gap.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
LemonHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spierings View Post
When it goes to internal suspension upgrades to the stock forks i am stil a noob but is a 6" air gap not a bit much ?? I always read about a 110-130mm air gap.
Yeah, I thought 6" was too much also. I got this dimension from the Ricor thread other people were using.
Checked it again and Ricor recommends 130mm. 130 mm = 5.12 inches not 6", guess their math is different. Gonna pour another inch in and go for a ride.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
LemonHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSky View Post
That looks like a ZX-14
I saw others question these Black & Silver ZX shocks also. Had me wondering which one it is. I read in another post Kawasaki sold the 07 limited edition ZX10 bikes with black & silver shocks and the lenghts of the ZX10 & ZX14 shocks are different. The ZX10 is slightly longer than stock and the ZX14 is the same length. This one was longer and it's installed now, so it's staying.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
jeff721

Bikes: K6 Sv650 Naked

your shock looks like my ZX10 shock, but in the special edition colors, not the standard black and red

that said I don't know what to base that on, but the zx14 always looks weird to me
jeff721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement