Finally happened... my first real crash on my SFV650 Gladius - Page 6 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #51
F9zSlavik
Site Supporter

Bikes: Suzuki SFV650
Re: Finally happened... my first real crash on my SFV650 Gladius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
true, except the out-braking part. cars and cruisers have better stopping distances than sportbikes because of the weight on the tires and no having stoppie problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
yep. and also an error in his physics understanding. but he is right about practice making muscle memory available in a panic...
Went ahead and looked at some youtube videos. From what I saw, in a control environment, some bikes were somewhat on par with an AVERAGE older car (2 disk brakes for example) and most (especially without abs) required more distance than a car to stop. This significantly changes as modern cars have better braking tech. This is NOT considering any of the elements that may prevent you from braking at the same time as a car.

mad8vskillz

Do you have any sources other than making opinionated statements aka "error in his physic of understanding"?
F9zSlavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 05:52 PM   #52
RecoilRob

Bikes: '07 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 43379

Back in the 60's and 70's the motorcycle rags used to always do brake testing as drums were the norm and discs were just coming into regular use. They mostly stopped doing it because the brakes became good enough that they'll do only what the tires can get to the ground and the CG of the bike can prevent from flipping over. Plus the riders crashed a LOT during the max braking tests because when doing such things you ARE right on the edge of crashing.

On a test pad or racetrack it's possible to push braking right to the limit as you have multiple attempts to creep up on the edge and a clean surface to work with. Nothing like this exists on the street where the surface is constantly varying and when you need max braking...you NEED max braking so the element of surprise and sometimes panic can set in with adrenaline thrown into the mix.

Having been a competitive shooter we know for sure that adrenaline absolutely destroys your fine motor skills and coordination as well as messes with your eyesight....not the things you want happening when trying to manage braking or shooting to save your life. It's hard to remain calm when the crap hits the fan in front of you...so simplification has worked for many people.

Simplification you ask? Yes...we know that using both brakes is the quickest way to stop the bike, but the rear must be used exactly right or it becomes a liability. It must be applied first then released as the weight transfers to the front or it'll stop the wheel. The front must be applied quickly and hard enough to cause the weight transfer but not lock the wheel.....then once the weight has shifted forward the pressure is increased as you now have lots more traction to work with. Doing this under the gun is HARD...and too hard for most people to do reliably.

This is why some advocate abandoning the rear brake entirely at speed and just concentrating on using the front as effectively as possible. Leave the clutch engaged during the first few seconds of braking as the engine will automatically supply all the retardation the rear tire can use and work that front brake! If you lock the wheel...it'll slide and so long as you don't also lock the rear you have a couple seconds to react and get it spinning again but it's really hard when your brain is screaming STOP!! to release even one brake due to sliding so practice and maybe only using two fingers on the lever to reduce your power can help.

Oh....I've seen (and now own) cars that can pull the rear wheels off the ground during a stop and will outstop pretty much any bike, plus any joker behind the wheel can just smash the stop pedal and do it with no skill whatsoever....so following them too closely is very dangerous. Two seconds following distance minimum, three if possible is a good rule and even then if they jam on the brakes you're going to have a hell of a time not hitting them. Ride safely!
RecoilRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:53 AM   #53
Skywalker67

Bikes: SV650 3rd Gen. (2016)
Miles Kms: 15'000 Km

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post
Having been a competitive shooter we know for sure that adrenaline absolutely destroys your fine motor skills and coordination as well as messes with your eyesight....
[OT]
Competitive shooter here as well, what kind of shooting did you do?
[/OT]

Old 11-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #54
RecoilRob

Bikes: '07 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 43379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker67 View Post
[OT]
Competitive shooter here as well, what kind of shooting did you do?
[/OT]
IPSC down in Florida back around '90-91. Never got very good at it...mid-pack was my normal outcome, but this was running a 10mm Delta (my daily carry) against all the race guns so I really didn't expect to ever win anything. Good practice and lots of fun, but running a relatively stock anything against the highly modified versions is going to end up badly for you unless you're something of a special talent...which sadly I was not. Competent..yes, talented...no.
RecoilRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:55 PM   #55
busdriver

<---- Open shooter. Full on space gun.
busdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #56
RP Racing

Bikes: 99 Suzucati 650R
Miles Kms: unknown, racebike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils View Post
Yeah because having 2 wheels and 2 sets of brakes is better than 4 wheels and 4 sets of brakes... How long have you been riding buddy.
I've heard a lot of kids claiming they can out corner any race car. Same kids I've seen get smoked in the local twisties by full dress HD's. Gotta love the "I can go fast straight, but park in the corners" goofballs.
RP Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement