Bazzaz fuel controller - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #1
doublezero

Bazzaz fuel controller

I just installed the Bazzaz Z-Fi fuel controller on my 2017 SV650 and took it for a 45 minute test ride. My bike is totally stock, except for a G3 ergonomics throttle tamer. I'm using the enhanced map that comes preloaded. I see no improvement in the bikes performance at all after installing the Bazzaz unit. I was shocked. And actually, the bike's throttle response is worse. When I do full throttle roll-ons starting at 35mph in 3rd gear, there is a slight but noticeable delay in the throttle response. Before I would get an immediate surge of power as soon as I twist the throttle fully. Now, the bike moves but the surge happens about a second later. My guess is the the Bazzaz is causing delays due to the time it takes to process the signals it receives. Weird. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the unit or the software. And my bike doesn't feel like it lost power. If I'm just riding normally (not full throttle) I don't really notice any difference from stock. If Bazzaz "smoothness" means delayed performance, I'm not interested. Very disappointed. I'm going to mess with it for a little while longer but I get the feeling I'll end up removing this thing. I did not dyno my bike and don't plan to. Has anyone else had similar results? Better results?
doublezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
DarkHorseSV650

Have you gone through all the calibration processes? Checked your TPS?

Weird that you're noticing negative results. Whatever is causing it it's not processing time for the ZFi. I'd guess it's an anomoly in the fuel map, like it's running rich down low in 3rd so the engine response becomes fluffy. Only way to know is to get it on a dyno with a wideband O2 sensor, or get the AFM auto-tuning add-on. That really is the only way to get the most out of a piggyback ECU. Every motor is different, not to mention other variables like climate, elevation, fuel type and quality etc.

FWIW (absolutely nothing to you...) my 08 responded really well to the ZFi with full exhaust map available from the website... but I also added - you guessed it - a full exhaust system, plus K&N air filter and velocity stacks.
DarkHorseSV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:03 PM   #3
doublezero

Re: Bazzaz fuel controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorseSV650 View Post
Have you gone through all the calibration processes? Checked your TPS?

Weird that you're noticing negative results. Whatever is causing it it's not processing time for the ZFi. I'd guess it's an anomoly in the fuel map, like it's running rich down low in 3rd so the engine response becomes fluffy. Only way to know is to get it on a dyno with a wideband O2 sensor, or get the AFM auto-tuning add-on. That really is the only way to get the most out of a piggyback ECU. Every motor is different, not to mention other variables like climate, elevation, fuel type and quality etc.

FWIW (absolutely nothing to you...) my 08 responded really well to the ZFi with full exhaust map available from the website... but I also added - you guessed it - a full exhaust system, plus K&N air filter and velocity stacks.
I did talk to Bazzaz tech support. They are actually very helpful. Everything checked out when I was on the phone with them. I think it's just a map issue and most likely the map that came with the unit just doesn't work well for me. I'm using the bike's stock exhaust and air filter. I'm going to start with a blank map, make some tweaks and test. The only area that I want to tweak is 3K to 4.5K RPM, maybe from 5% to 30% throttle. Stock, I have no issues from 5K RPM and above so I'm going to leave that area blank on the map. Unfortunately, winter will be here soon and I'll probably run out of time to test.
doublezero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
Erika2000

Bikes: Gen 3 Suzuki SV650
Re: Bazzaz fuel controller

Glad you shared your experience here even though it's not been a net positive.

Lots of times people (not you) will make it seem as though you can throw a PC or bazzaz and everything will magically be better. Engines oftentimes don't work that way.

Hopefully your experiments can get the bike where you want it. If not then maybe taking it to a tuner would be the answer even if it remains all stock otherwise.

I've avoided going the exhaust and performance route on this gen 3 SV but if I did I'd probably opt for a flashed or remapped ECU.
Erika2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement