Clutch adjustment - Page 2 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV Modifications and General Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV Modifications and General Maintenance General information about modding and servicing your SV.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #11
RIDER675

Bikes: 07 track, 99 street
Re: Clutch adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post
Think about what you are trying to accomplish when adjusting the clutch: you need enough free play to allow the springs to compress the plates without any pressure loss to the disengagement mechanism.....while allowing the clutch lever to disengage the plates far enough so they don't drag. The easiest way to go about it is to just make sure you have a little free play when the lever is fully released (both at the clutch release mechanism as well as the lever itself) and then whatever pressure it takes to pull the lever is all in the clutch springs with the added drag (which should be minimal) of the cable friction.

If it's difficult to shift that sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging......which could either be improper adjustment or something mechanical internally preventing the clean release of the plates. Once you have the free play at the worm drive adjusted so it's adequate to ensure full engagement...but only a wee bit so the clutch lever movement can press the plates apart as far as possible....if it still drags then you have an internal problem.
Any ideas what to look for with the cover off? Idk anything about clutch internals. Do I need to replace the gasket or apply case sealant after?
RIDER675 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #12
Straticus

Bikes: 1999 X naked Curvy
Miles Kms: 23,000

There's some videos on Youtube that might help,

Probably some different models if you adjust the search.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #13
RIDER675

In the oil fill port I see the plates only move 2-3 mil when the lever is in. Also hard to see how much, but for sure the basket is notched.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #14
RIDER675

Also noticed according to Straticus page, my worm gear body was installed backwards with the fat side on the left. No change after reversing it. Does the orientation of the tab matter that holds the sleeve in?
Old 08-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #15
Straticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER675 View Post
Also noticed according to Straticus page, my worm gear body was installed backwards with the fat side on the left. No change after reversing it. Does the orientation of the tab matter that holds the sleeve in?
I don't think so but I think I kept mine the same as it came off.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:51 PM   #16
RIDER675

Found blue streaks on every steel but they lay flat on glass. Everything is in spec. Also one spring was either at the service limit (50.5) or 50.6mm. Basket rotates freely without the discs, don't really feel notching, but there are marks at all the contact points and it isnt perfectly smooth..not sure where to go from here. Any reason to remove the hub from the basket?
Pics

Last edited by RIDER675; 08-13-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:36 AM   #17
Straticus

Apparently the Clutch covers can warp,

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...clutch+problem
Old 08-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #18
Junkie

Bikes: 06 1k

He's asking about his track bike which his profile states is an 07. Unless the clutch cover has been replaced, it's a 2nd gen with a 1 piece cover rather than a 1st gen with the plastic sub-cover. I highly doubt the cover has warped.

Even on the 1st gens, a warped cover shouldn't result in any clutch problems, just a bit of a leak.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #19
RIDER675

The clutch adjustment screw has road rash, I wonder what could be damaged by an impact here. I assume the rod would just be depressed unless it reached the end of travel. Seems like the clutch cable would be torn or the clutch bearing would be crushed. Also are gen1/gen2 adjusters compatible? edit: never mind same part number.

Last edited by RIDER675; 08-14-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:12 AM   #20
Straticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER675 View Post
The clutch adjustment screw has road rash, I wonder what could be damaged by an impact here. I assume the rod would just be depressed unless it reached the end of travel. Seems like the clutch cable would be torn or the clutch bearing would be crushed. Also are gen1/gen2 adjusters compatible? edit: never mind same part number.
Taken from,

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fixxit/comm...s_after_0_mph/

If you suspect the bike has been dropped on the left hand side,

You mave have bent the shifter shaft a bit in the tip over, or you may have pushed it over to the right hand side.

Remove the countershaft sprocket cover and try pulling on the shifter shaft to see if it moves back toward you and see if the transmission shifts any better.

http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/...model-k5-k6-k7

18 SHAFT, GEAR SHIFT

While you're looking behind the countershaft sprocket cover, you can lube the clutch release mechanism.

SV650's have a really Mickey Mouse clutch release mechanism.

http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/...07245ca/clutch

17 SCREW ASSY, CLUTCH RELEASE

You're supposed to remove the clutch release assembly and clean the old grease out of it every 5000 miles or so and repack it with Suzuki Assembly Lubricant, which is a very thick molybdenum disulphide paste.

It's much thicker and stiffer than high temperature wheel bearing grease used around disk brakes

The Mickey Mouse clutch release assembly doesn't have a worm gear inside, there are just several tiny steel balls following grooves in a sheet metal sleeve that is going to wear out and get even sloppier.

When you rig out your clutch cable you should have 15 to 20 mm of distance between the ball on the end of the lever and the handlebar grip.

When you reinstall the clutch release assembly, the clutch cable and the arm should have an angle of slightly more than 90 degrees between them.

Turn the adjustment screw all the way in until it just stops turning, then back it out 1/4 of a turn and tighten the lock nut.

If the transmission is still clunky and resists shifting turn the idle speed down to 1200~1250 RPM instead of 1300 and see if that helps.

The idle adjustment screw is on the left hand side of the frame, you can see it through the triangular hole... I tend to set it at 15mm because the bike feels better as I roll up to a stop if the clutch is dragging just a tiny bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement