Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

My bike starts and runs for a few seconds, then dies. Then starts, runs and dies

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  limweikiat1 
#1 ·
I need big help from you guys out there.

It all happened when i washed my bike, not with pressured water.
Then my motorcycle couldn't start at all.

It was because of the safety clutch switch.

Now my 2005 sv650s starts,
-But has a FI code
-Sounds weirds on the exhaust like something's wrong with the mixture
-Dies sometimes after 10sec
-Automatically rev a little by itself
-When throttle, it sounded weird as well and feels like it's dying. Then, died.

What i did,
-Clean the left side switch
-Attach the clutch safety correctly
-open up under the airbox to check the regulator
-charged battery
-bike wash, polish, wax

Please help me guys, im really out of options.

See less See more
#3 ·
You probably got water in the front spark plug hole. Pull the plug wire off and blow out any moisture with compressed air. Also be sure the drain hole is clear. Reinstall the plug wire with a bit of dielectric grease.

Hope that helps.

#4 ·
Hey golden chicken, thank you for your responds.
I have good and bad news.

The good news is that, the motorcycle is back to normal. Everything feels the same and i've adjusted the idle screw back to 1.5rpm.

For the solution, I've taken out the front radiator to access the spark plug,
removing the spark plug with my tool kit provided with the motorcycle, the plug and wire was wet. Before this, i've already purchase dry wire from CRC/ O'reily. I've remove any water droplets i can see then apply the application directly into the spark plug wire, spark plug and put a little on my finger to apply inside the hole, because the dry wire is actually a little thick and needs to be dry before operating.
Then i've also purchase some dielectric grease, ( you can purchase a small packet for a dollar in O'reily)
Applied some inside the spark plug wire( not the conductor) and also the ceremic part of the spark plug, just a thin layer.

For the bad news, my FI code is still on, including the red light and also on the temperature number.

Please advise.

#6 ·
Hello TeeRiver, thank you very much for your responds,

You were right, i forgot to plug in one of the plugs at the airbox.
I cannot test it out now as it's really late. But i will try again first thing in the morning before going work.

Thank you very much!

#8 ·
Funny story:

I recently put new spark plugs in my SV. For context, I am an auto technician with over 10 years' experience, and I now mostly work on electrical diagnostics on Mercedes. I've also owned and worked on my SV for 8 years and over 50,000 miles. So I have all the tools you might need or want. I have quite a bit of experience.

I did everything quickly and efficiently. Popped the side covers off, then the seat, then the tank. Found an extension to prop up the tank. I know exactly which screwdrivers to grab to get the airbox out. Got the rear plug out. Gapped the new plugs. Put a dab of dielectric grease on the plug and torqued it to spec. Reinstalled everything. Moved onto the front plug. Popped the radiator and horn off, did the same with the front plug. Popped the rad and horn back on. Maybe I spent 10 minutes doing all this.

Then I thought, oh! the drain hole! Grabbed my air gun and stuck it in the hole and gave it a squeeze. POP! Huh, I wonder what that was? Maybe all the dirt blowing back at me?

Go to fire up the bike and it is clearly running on only one cylinder.

Take a closer look. I had blown the front plug wire off the plug and I couldn't get it to seat back down without taking the horn and the radiator back off! D'OH!

#9 ·
That's a good one, GC. :)

I'll share a compressed air fiasco too. One day I was tracing the SV gas tank vent and overflow hoses. Shot compressed air into the top of the hoses to see where it would come out at the bottom. As soon as I shot air down the overflow tube I heard "POP!" then water poured out onto the floor under the bike. The compressed air had exploded the coolant recovery tank. That is when I learned the gas cap overflow tube tee'ed into the recovery tube, lol.

btw, your experience really shows and you are a great asset to the SVRider tech forums. Over the past 8 years I have seen your posts get better and better, you give lots of good advice.

#11 ·
Thank you to both of you, also i have one question on replacing my gear, it's been sticking between N gear and 1st gear.
It's like sticking and this uncomfortable push back (like vibrations) makes you not wana force the gear kick.

Which part should i replace?
The plates or the spring? or any advises please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.