Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums (https://www.svrider.com/forum/forums.php)
-   SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech (https://www.svrider.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Bike Won't start-FI light and C42 error code (https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122836)

[email protected] 04-13-2010 11:12 AM

Bike Won't start-FI light and C42 error code

Replaced the shock on an 04 naked.

Had to cut the battery box and push it back along with the ECM.

Now bike won't start and flashed FI. No fuel injection whirl when I turn the key, but starter turns over. Put it in dealer mode and C42 kicks out (Ignition switch)

Check about every electrical connection and nothing loose or disconnected. Fuses are fine. The ignition switch worked before the shock switch. The kill switch is off, but if I flip it on, the display will change to "CHEC". Poked around and some threads suggested a bunch of things to do to the ignition switch (squirting cylinder with WD40 and turning the key on/off, disconnect battery etc). Nothing worked.

Only think I can think of is I had to put a battery charger on the battery and tried to started it with it connected (set to 6 AMPs at the time). Hoping I didn't fry something, but if I did, I need pointers on where to look and how to find it.

I'm an electrical retard, so I can use any help anyone can lend.

Maviryk 04-13-2010 11:21 AM

Re: Bike Won't start-FI light and C42 error code

You need to put the tip over sensor on properly. It's the little box mounted in front of the battery tray.

bhavinjo 04-13-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 1926024)
Replaced the shock on an 04 naked.

Now bike won't start and flashed FI. No fuel injection whirl when I turn the key, but starter turns over. Put it in dealer mode and C42 kicks out (Ignition switch)

Check about every electrical connection and nothing loose or disconnected. Fuses are fine. The ignition switch worked before the shock switch. The kill switch is off, but if I flip it on, the display will change to "CHEC". Poked around and some threads suggested a bunch of things to do to the ignition switch (squirting cylinder with WD40 and turning the key on/off, disconnect battery etc). Nothing worked.

Only think I can think of is I had to put a battery charger on the battery and tried to started it with it connected (set to 6 AMPs at the time). Hoping I didn't fry something, but if I did, I need pointers on where to look and how to find it.

I'm an electrical retard, so I can use any help anyone can lend.

See if this helps.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=125789

[email protected]l.com 04-13-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maviryk (Post 1926035)
You need to put the tip over sensor on properly. It's the little box mounted in front of the battery tray.

Hmm...I did have to remove it from the box (still connected ) when I cut the battery box, but believe I have it oriented correctly (Has an imprint saying Upper or Top on the module).

Plus if it was a TOS, wouldn't a C23 error code kick out instead of C42?

[email protected] 04-13-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhavinjo (Post 1926036)

Thanks. I've been reading that thread and to be honest alot of the electrical checks suggested in it are way over my head.

Been trying to figure out what I do know (electrically) and check it first then move onto the next thing.

Maviryk 04-13-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 1926054)
Hmm...I did have to remove it from the box (still connected ) when I cut the battery box, but believe I have it oriented correctly (Has an imprint saying Upper or Top on the module).

Plus if it was a TOS, wouldn't a C23 error code kick out instead of C42?

Oh, oops my bad.

I dunno about the c42 then. Usually when people mess around the the battery box area the mess up the TOS.

BirchyBoy 04-13-2010 12:01 PM

Give this a once over and see if it helps:

D'Ecosse 04-13-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhavinjo (Post 1926036)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirchyBoy (Post 1926094)
Give this a once over and see if it helps:

I would certainly not refer anyone to that thread - in spite of the title!
Seriously convoluted and distracting!

This is a very straight-forward thing to pursue:

There is an internal 100 ohm resistor inside the ignition switch which is used as an anti-theft feature (to avoid simple bypass).
When key-switch is turned on, one pole of the ignition switch connects the 12V battery power from the red/black wire on the ignition harness via the 100ohm resistor to an output on the Orange/Red wire.
That orange/red wire feeds into the ECM to provide the signal to enable the operation.
Not to be overly complex, but there is an additional resistor inisde the ECM that (along with the 100 ohm in the ignition) forms a resistor divider: so the voltage on the orange/red should be approximately 6.5V or so.

To troubleshoot:
1. Disconnect the battery
2.Unplug the ECM connectors & find the orange/red wire; use your multimeter on ohms to check for continuity between the terminal on the ECM connector and the opposite end at the ignition connector plug (Main harness side). This should be near zero ohms of course. (If open, look for broken wire)
Also check between the orange/red and the battery -ve cable - this should read open circuit. (If short, then look for trapped wire)
3. Connect your test leads to measure resistance between the red and orange/yellow wires of the harness going to the key-switch - this should be 'open' with switch off and 100 ohms with switch on. If NOT 100 ohms, then you have bad ignition switch.
4. If you do read 100 ohms, reconnect everything including the battery: set test meter to now read volts instead of ohms; read between the orange/red (orange/yellow on switch side) and the battery -ve terminal - you should measure ~ 6.5V.

If you run through these tests and don't find anything conclusive, report back with the results and will help you identify the problem from those

Quote:

Most likely your problem is going to be simply that you have done something in the process of this step - either trapped or broken a wire (or wires) from the ECM connectors
So you might want to simply start by inspecting that area for a problem

BirchyBoy 04-13-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D'Ecosse (Post 1926903)
I would certainly not refer anyone to that thread - in spite of the title!
Seriously convoluted and distracting!

This is a very straight-forward thing to pursue:

There is an internal 100 ohm resistor inside the ignition switch which is used as an anti-theft feature (to avoid simple bypass).
When key-switch is turned on, one pole of the ignition switch connects the 12V battery power from the red/black wire on the ignition harness via the 100ohm resistor to an output on the Orange/Red wire.
That orange/red wire feeds into the ECM to provide the signal to enable the operation.
Not to be overly complex, but there is an additional resistor inisde the ECM that (along with the 100 ohm in the ignition) forms a resistor divider: so the voltage on the orange/red should be approximately 6.5V or so.

To troubleshoot:
1. Disconnect the battery
2.Unplug the ECM connectors & find the orange/red wire; use your multimeter on ohms to check for continuity between the terminal on the ECM connector and the opposite end at the ignition connector plug (Main harness side). This should be near zero ohms of course. (If open, look for broken wire)
Also check between the orange/red and the battery -ve cable - this should read open circuit. (If short, then look for trapped wire)
3. Connect your test leads to measure resistance between the red and orange/yellow wires of the harness going to the key-switch - this should be 'open' with switch off and 100 ohms with switch on. If NOT 100 ohms, then you have bad ignition switch.
4. If you do read 100 ohms, reconnect everything including the battery: set test meter to now read volts instead of ohms; read between the orange/red (orange/yellow on switch side) and the battery -ve terminal - you should measure ~ 6.5V.

If you run through these tests and don't find anything conclusive, report back with the results and will help you identify the problem from those

Yeah, what he said! He's the man :notworthy:

[email protected] 04-13-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D'Ecosse (Post 1926903)
SNIP

I pretty sure I found the problem. In a moment of mechanic retardism, it looks like I severed no less than 3 wires in the bundle that runs along side the left side of the frame and damaged another 1-2 while cutting the battery box. Will fix solder them up and pretty sure that will cure the issue.

Anyone have a link or can walk me through removing the left side fairing that runs to the tail? I'm hung up right now at the tail cap.