Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums (https://www.svrider.com/forum/forums.php)
-   Motorcycle Talk (https://www.svrider.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Simple Question. Simple answer? (https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99669)

jamesconner31 04-19-2009 09:17 AM

Simple Question. Simple answer?

If any of you have been reading some of my posts, you can gather two things about me: 1. I in love with my '02 SVS. 2. I'm trying to fix it up on a poor mans salary. One thing that I've been reading about doing to the bike is the poor mans exhaust upgrade. I would like to chop and debaffle, or at least partially debaffle it. I'm don't have the correct tools, but I do have a connection at the local muffler shop. My only concerns are these: will it decrease back pressure to an unhealthy level and what kind of sound is going to make afterwords. I obviously want it to be a bit louder, but I'm not so starved for attention that I feel everyone around needs to know I'm coming. All help is and will be greatly appreciated.

promazda 04-19-2009 10:08 AM

Re: Simple Question. Simple answer?

Before I would consider a muffler chop on a first gen I would save up for a little while and buy a viper short can. Under two hundred dollars sounds great easy to install. I have one first gen and one second gen sitting in my garage. The first gens muffler is a solid welded unit the second gen has an end cap. You could attempt however to knock the baffles out with a long rod, pry bar, or extention.

Rednarb 04-19-2009 11:18 AM

I'm not sure I'd call hacking your stock exhaust an "upgrade" but I'm probably in the minority. I also think that hacked stock exhausts sound retarded, but again likely a minority view.

Dude, just ride the **** thing - the best "upgrade" you could possibly do is to increase your riding skill through experience or training.

ASCSurveyor 04-19-2009 11:24 AM

Loud pipes don't save lives. A larger brain capacity will. :jerkbag:

If you're on a budget, make sure you figure in routine maintenance before anything else. Tires, oil, lube, chain, sprockets, brakes, plugs, etc. Also figure in inspection (if applicable), taxes (if applicable), and any other paper work that may be required to ride. Only after figuring up this stuff can you truly see how much you have for "upgrades".

"Debaffling" and "Mufflerectomies" are pointless. If you want a better sound, you're better off going with an aftermarket slip-on. There are plenty of them out there available for under $200. It'll look better, sound better, and weigh less. Safer to buy something that's made for the bike, than f-ck up a DIY job, and have chunks of metal, or even worse... TOOLS... lost in the bottom of your muffler.

Get the bike running well. Then worry about upgrades.

raab02 04-19-2009 11:31 AM

I feel extra qualified to answer this question for two reasons. First, I bought my bike debaffled by the P.O. I loved it. It sounded great, just like a V-twin should. The only thing that gave me pause would be concerns about the mixture. I had a lot of soot at the outlet and people who rode behind me would say my bike smelled when I got on it. All in all, I'd say it wasn't a bad choice, I would have considered doing it if it weren't already done by the previous owner.

Second, I just bought a Delkevic stubby slip-on. In my opinion, if at all possible, you should skip hacking up the stock muffler and just get this (or the Viper like promazda mentioned). Mine was $143 shipped. And boy does it sound freaking sweet. If you've ever heard a built 450cc 4-stroke dirt bike, you've got an idea of how mean your SV will sound. Plus, it's a hell of alot lighter and better looking. See:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...01/SVDelk2.jpg

Where abouts N. GA are you? I halfway grew up in Blue Ridge - my parents still live there.

jamesconner31 04-19-2009 02:32 PM

Where abouts N. GA are you? I halfway grew up in Blue Ridge - my parents still live there.[/QUOTE]

lol, I live in Blue Ridge. You ever up here? We should go for a ride some time.

promazda 04-19-2009 07:57 PM

My mother inlaw lives in hiawasse im up there all the time your just a short trip away. Let me know when you want to ride.

msurk 04-19-2009 11:48 PM

At first glance I thought that drain tile was a second muffler.

Msurk.

Rock Dodger 04-20-2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msurk (Post 1485542)

Msurk.

And I thought that the black things on the tank were stereo speakers! ;D

PaPa-G 04-20-2009 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msurk (Post 1485542)

Msurk.

Nice, me too, I only checked again b/c you mentioned it.