Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums (https://www.svrider.com/forum/forums.php)
-   SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech (https://www.svrider.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Strange fuel leak (https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395517)

tpuckett73 10-08-2019 09:28 AM

Strange fuel leak

After being out of town for a week, I started the bike and went inside to get ready. When I came back out there was a puddle of fuel under the bike and it was pooled on the lower fairing and all over the left side of the engine. I shut it off and let it sit outside while I was at the gym. When I got back to the bike, I pulled the fairings and found the crankcase breather hose had come off from the airbox. Judging from where the fuel sprayed, it looks like that's where it was coming from. I hooked it back up and started it up. No leak. I opened the airbox and looked to see if any fuel was getting in there. The filter sponge disintegrated as I tried to pull it out, but there wasn't any gas in the box. I checked the oil window and it doesn't look like any fuel got into the crankcase. I'm pretty confused about what happened. The bike was running fine before I went out of town and it feels totally normal now. After a couple of rides there is a little bit of a hot plastic smell, but no leaks or problems and everything looks fine. Clearly I'm missing something, but I don't know what.

thedrewski86 10-08-2019 12:04 PM

Re: Strange fuel leak

I'm not sure that the disintegrating filter and breather tube is to blame. These bikes have a tendency to leak at a grey plastic fuel fitting under the tank near the back. Mine does occasionally after sitting for a week. Once it gets washed out with a little fuel it seals back up. Most folk just replace the part, I should but it's been fine lately.

Jay V 10-08-2019 04:26 PM

Re: Strange fuel leak

Check the short fuel line connecting the two throttle bodies on the right side. The OEM clamps eventually loosen and leak. Replacing them with high pressure fuel line clamps from an auto parts store is your best choice, but standard hose clamps will work.

My '06 started leaking there a couple seasons ago. New clamps and it has been fine.

tpuckett73 10-11-2019 08:37 AM

Those are both decent ideas, but doesn't look like what's going on here. After reconnecting the crankcase breather hose, the leak is gone. So then I assumed fuel was just pouring into my airbox instead. Nope. Totally dry. The leak was definitely on the left side, and it was high. The fuel was all over the front bottom off the airbox. In other news, on my ride home yesterday my admittedly cheap mirror broke (third time not counting a drop). Anybody have a good option for a mirror with integrated turn signals?