SV650 Troubleshoot! - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > 03 + SV650 Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

03 + SV650 Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-up model SV650.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
LexTalionis

Bikes: 2006 Suzuki SV650
Miles Kms: 6500
SV650 Troubleshoot!

Good Day Ladies and Gentlemen,

New rider with a newly purchased, slightly used SV650 K7 with a bit less than 2000 miles is looking a for a little help on locating the source of my possible problems.

Symptoms of the bike:

-Trailing/off throttle backfire and backfire at low RPM

Bike Analysis:

-Orginally in AZ now in Chicago, picked up from a polish immigrant (2nd Owner) whose wife wouldn't let him keep it. First owner lost the bike to a repo man in AZ.

-Previous maintenance upkeep unknown but likely poor, oil was awful, needed breaker bar just to get drain lug off. Had old gas when bought added new gas and ran engine to get new fuel in fuel lines, while running, ran lean and damaged chrome on exhast pipes from heat. Internal engine damage unlikely since spark plugs had no damage.

-Have since changed oil, oilfilter, spark plugs, cleaned air filter and replacing with K&N soon, adjusted idle and TPS to spec, will again after new filter arrives.

-Bike runs well and has plenty of power despite those issues. Have yet to determine my avg MPG. Engine Temp appears to be normal between 160 - 190deg F. Bike is stock.

-I think fuel injectors may need to be cleaned, also varnish build up around valves may have occured.

-Called shop and they said it likely needed a valve adjustment, find this unlikely since so few miles on it.

Have heard that this may just be the behavior of a v-twin, first bike so I just don't know. If it's not an easy/moderate fix can I atleast run it like this for the rest of the season without causing damage?
LexTalionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
Spierings

Bikes: k3 sv650n
Re: SV650 Troubleshoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Good Day Ladies and Gentlemen,
Symptoms of the bike:

Do you have a aftermarket exhaust ?? It's normal that it pops out of the exhaust. Search PAIR system, you can remove it.

If it's running lean --> put it on a dyno and get it adjusted. Post a pic from the exhaust (chrome)

You can try a injection cleaner that you put in the tank to clean the injectors.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
madwheeling

Bikes: 07 SV650 Street, 06 SV650 Track
Miles Kms: 20,000

probably an aftermarket exhaust
madwheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Panth

Bikes: SV650SK5
Miles Kms: 18000 mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Symptoms of the bike:

I have the stock exhaust on my SV (if anyone has a spare slip on, let me know!), and blipping the throttle after a long deceleration from low RPM sometimes causes an exhaust pop and momentary loss of power (fractions of a second). On chatting with some other people about that, they said it's a consequence of a few things (not bad) and not to let the revs get that low until I get a better can, sync throttle bodies, and adjust the TPS.
Panth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement