Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

VFR / F3 front-wheel how-to

12K views 57 replies 11 participants last post by  makenzie71 
#1 ·
I'm just trying to gauge interest.
I'm not sure If I'll be selling it yet but I wanted to see if anyone was interested. I was going to use this on my SV but I decided to go a different route with the wheels (Triumph)

It's a 2002? VFR 800 wheel. 6 spoke. Would match pretty well with the F3 rear wheel. Much better than the stock SV or GSXR wheel.

I've changed the spacer and bearings to 25mm to fit the GSXR axle.
I've also had a set of rotor spacers machines to fit a set of 320mm Ducati rotors.

These wheels are set up to fit a set of radial GSXR forks with SRAD triples. The adapters are about 3/8" each so they spread the rotors out. I would not feel comfortable making them thinner so this wheel will not work with later model frontends unless you can find a set of 6bolt rotors with less offset.

Wheel was $130
Rotors were $120
Adapters were $280
Bearings were $35

I'd like to get $400 for the whole setup.

I'll post up some pictures.

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Feeler. VFR Wheel modified to fit GSXR frontend

Are busa rotors 6 bolt? If they are then they may work with these wheels and adapters to mount onto 2000+ GSXR frontends.

After speaking to people on the VFR boards (they don't know sh!t), they assured me that the Ducati rotors fit the VFR wheels. They sort of did, but the Ducati uses 8mm bolts while the VFR uses 6mm. The Ducati holes were spread out farther but since they were bigger, you can still get the bolts in.

The Ducati rotors are offset about 5mm but that still wasn't enough for the SRAD frontend. I needed another 3/8" on each side so the adapters were a perfect solution. The have 6 threaded 8mm holes for the rotors and 6 countersunk 6mm holes to mount them solidly to the wheel.

I guess I could have gone wider with the adapters and made them with 5 threaded holes. Then I could just mount stock GSXR rotors. But I already had the Ducati rotors at that point and they are practically brand new so I just went this route.

#5 ·

busa rotors are same as TL and 96-03 GSXR rotors. 320mm, 5 bolt.

plus, why would he use busa when he could have Brembo?

#9 · (Edited)

I've changed the spacer and bearings to 25mm to fit the GSXR axle.
I've got the same wheel here, and same frontend. Its just kinda funny that I stumbled across this thread.

What size bearings did you use and where did you get them? I am guessing they are 25x42x12 but I can't find anyone that manufactures such a thing. Did you have them custom made?

Edit: Found the answer to my question here: http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=94966

#11 ·

I would have been all over this wheel if it would have fit the stock GSX-R 5 bolt rotors.
Well it could, if you had the adapter/flange machined to do so! :)

#17 · (Edited)

I guess the reason the vfr rotors werent used is because they are only 296mm rotors?

What about the 300mm F4i or 1krr rotors? Those are 6 bolt rotors... curious...
I've done a lot of research on that matter actually, the 98-99 CBR900RR rotors are 310MM like the GXSR has, as are all years of the CBR1100XX. They also have the same 6-bolt pattern as the F3, and early VFR750 wheels.

The F4i and 1kRR rotors have a completely different bolt pattern, same with the 918, 929, and 954, all different bolt patterns from the earlier wheels. I think most of them are 330mm, and have a much larger center hole and bolt circle.

So anyways, I have an F3 wheel, and a pair of CBR1100XX rotors that should bolt directly on to the wheel and come REALLY close to fitting between in my '07 GSXR calipers.

#20 ·

wcj said:
You've found a place to source the 25x42x12 bearings? I looked and looked and wasnt able to find anything.
I found a 25x42x9 but no 12. If you read the other thread about this conversion you'll see that he used a 25x47x12 bearing instead. I don't know if that is going to fit or not without additional machining, I haven't taken any proper measurements. All of my equipment isn't all in the same location. I've just been reading anything I find on the 'net.

You may need to machine the bearing locations 5mm bigger.

#21 ·

I found a 25x42x9 but no 12. If you read the other thread about this conversion you'll see that he used a 25x47x12 bearing instead. I don't know if that is going to fit or not, I haven't taken any measurements. I've just bee reading anything I find on the 'net.

You may need to machine the bearing locations 5mm bigger.
Ok. I didnt miss anything then. I was hoping you found a source for the 25x42x12 bearings. I guess you could always have a 25x42x3 shim/spacer made and insert it into the wheel and then press the bearing in so it is flush. Wonder if the 9mm bearing will be sturdy enough.....

#26 ·
#28 ·

To answer some questions that were asked.
Yes, I used a 25 x 47 x12 bearing. No machining required on the VFR800 wheel. It would require machining on a VFR750 wheel as those use the 42mm bearing.
I didn't use the CBR rotors because I needed 320mm and everyone I spoke to on VFRWorld and VFRD said that the Ducati rotors bolted right on (boneheads)
Mav, this wheel wouldn't match your rear wheel anyway. It has the squared off spokes not the rounded ones. I do have a rear wheel that will mount to your bike if you want the set :) It would come with the rotors as well :D

#30 ·

To answer some questions that were asked.
Yes, I used a 25 x 47 x12 bearing. No machining required on the VFR800 wheel. It would require machining on a VFR750 wheel as those use the 42mm bearing.
I didn't use the CBR rotors because I needed 320mm and everyone I spoke to on VFRWorld and VFRD said that the Ducati rotors bolted right on (boneheads)
Mav, this wheel wouldn't match your rear wheel anyway. It has the squared off spokes not the rounded ones. I do have a rear wheel that will mount to your bike if you want the set :) It would come with the rotors as well :D
Thats some really good information there, I really REALLY have to thank you for that. I will stick a set of calipers on my F3 wheel when I get the wheel and calipers in the same place, lol. I am curious now if the wheel bore is 42mm or 47mm.

#31 ·

I did a little more research on this looking at exploded parts views over at bikebandit.com

Looks like the VFR800 used a pair of 6204UU bearings in the front wheel. The 6204UU bearing is 20x47x14mm. The 6005-2Rs (25x47x12mm) is a suitable replacement with the right-sized spacers and should work without any problems.

The VFR750 and CBR600F3 and CBR600F2 front wheels use a pair of 6004UU bearings which are 20x42x12mm. This setup would require boring of the wheel to accomodate a pair of 6005-2RS (25x47x12mm) bearings.

#38 ·

Just checked. Not sure the 6905RS bearings are the way to go.

The vtx1800 uses them on the rear sprocket carrier so there's not much load on the bearings. The main wheel bearings are 20X47X20.6.

The CRF450 uses 3 6905RS bearings. 2 are side by side on the sprocket side and the 3rd is on the right side. The CRF doesnt even hit 250lb sopping wet.

I dont think Im going to trust those bearings on the front of the bike.

#42 · (Edited)
Ok, I got all of my parts in one place, and I am shocked at how well this all turned out!

Here's my setup:

Parts list:
2007 GSXR600 front end
1996 CBR600F3 (or VRF750) front wheel
2000 CBR1100xx front discs
1" Galvanized pipe
4x 6905-2RS bearings (25x42x9mm)

1. First remove the old F3 seals, bearings, and wheel center tube

2. Take your galvenized pipe and compare it to the wheel center tube and cut to length, do not use the threaded portion, cut that off first. Use a real pipecutter and not a hacksaw. Use some means to make sure you get a straight cut!

#43 · (Edited)
3. Check the new and old wheel center tubes and ensure they are the same length.

Internal diameter comparison:

4. Make sure bearings are greased on the outside, and that the wheel is clean of debris, then tap 2 bearings into one side of the wheel.

NO PIC!

5. Flip wheel over and insert new wheel center tube, ensure it goes all the way in.

NO PIC!

6. Tap 2 more greased bearings into the clean wheel's opposite side gently, making sure the wheel center tube doesn't bind up crooked.

I used 2 bearings because of some people's weight concerns and the fact that there is plenty of space in the wheel for 2!

NO PIC!

#44 · (Edited)
7. Bolt the CBR1100xx discs onto the wheel. This is where I made a mistake, the 2000+ CBR1100xx discs have a bigger bolt hole circle diameter than the 98-99 CBR1100xx discs. Its only a few millimeters, so its not a big deal to either drill new holes between the old ones, or elongate the existing holes.

NO PIC!

8. Mount wheel and calipers... OMG FITS!

I still can't believe how well this worked out!

The wheel aligns itself hard against the left side of the axle butting right up to the stepped part of it. No spacer is requiring there, AND this keeps the wheel PERFECTLY CENTERED. A small spacer will need to be made for the right side.

The width between the 2 discs is PERFECT and they are near perfectly aligned with the centers of the calipers. No additional spacers or washers needed behind the discs.

If I had gotten the 98-99 CBR1100xx discs which I origiallly thought I had, while the bolt holes would have lined up, they are about 5mm wider on each side and wouldn't have fit between the calipers.

Bolt holes are easy to redrill, machining the wheel down to accomodate discs that are TOO WIDE is excessive, and there isn't that much wheel material to take off.

#47 ·
Thanks! A lot of homework went into this setup!

I'm quite pleased, I've gotten a lot of compliments from my friends already.

Today I will cut a new spacer for the right side and cinch it all up!

Also, I forgot to mention that the bearing seals are the original CBR600F3 parts modified to fit the larger axle/spacers.

#48 ·
an rc51 sp1 front wheel is 6 spoke. and easilly takes a 929 954 bearing. has the same axle diameter as the gsxr. and 929 954 rotors bolt right on with the stock spacing of an srad . just for future info. & would cost about 250 less to set up. but u have a nice front rim with those brembros !

#49 · (Edited)
Thats some good info! Though RC51/VTR1000SP1 wheels are a little hard to come by, but if you can find one the discs are already 320mm so you may only need to space the calipers outwards a little (stack of washers.)

Thanks for that info!

#56 · (Edited)
so... i should use the rc51 front rim w/ rc51 rotors, and the mentioned bearings, now what bout spacing out the caliber? is that needed
-DMC
I dunno if you need to space the rotors/calipers outwards. A lot of those measurements you'll have to try and take yourself as without those parts in hand I just wouldn't know!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.