Unveiling: SV Super-bobber project - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV Modifications and General Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

SV Modifications and General Maintenance General information about modding and servicing your SV.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
eisenfaust

Send a message via AIM to eisenfaust
Unveiling: SV Super-bobber project

So I've been holding back on posting anything until I had something resembling a finished motorcycle, and as of this weekend, I do!

I bought my SV new in the summer of 05. I was working full time as a motorcycle courier in the SF bay area, doing 100-300 miles a day in all weather. I chose the SV because it was affordable, sporty, and had a reputation for being dead reliable. Also... I was graduating from a GS500 and didn't want to step full-on into a SS600.

I put ****ed near 20k miles on my SV with no reliability issues. I did get hit by 2 cars, and I binned her once at a Sears Point (Infineon) trackday in the rain... amazingly durable bike. But we all know that.

Anyway, in the spring of 06 I put down a deposit for a 2006 R6, and picked her up in March. After that, I pretty much stopped riding the SV. Both were sportbikes, and the R6 was just so much *more* of a sportbike that the SV felt kind of soft and spongy. Also, the high-seat/low-bars ergos of the R6 were, for some reason, way more comfortable for me than the SV's more conventional setup.

I stopped riding for a living in summer or fall of 06 and bought a cheap car (GF was too worried about me getting hurt on the job). The SV gradually fell into a state of disrepair. I loaned her out to friends, taught 3 or 4 people the basics of riding on her so they had an idea of what being on a bike felt like before they packed off to MSF, etc, etc.

The last time she ran was in January of 07, and she was in sorry shape by then.

May of 07, my R6 got stolen. I went to fire up the SV... and nothing. She wouldn't run. Money was tight, I was *super* ****** about my R6 and didn't feel like sorting the SV's problems... so she continued to sit.

In the fall of 07, I decided to resurrect my SV, and turn it into a bad-ass streetfighter. Upgraded suspension, aggressive as hell ergonomics, improved suspension, and stripped of everything possible to save weight. Really, that's the cafe racer ethos, but I didn't plan on making the bike look like a cafe racer.

Then my house burned down. Major delays. I made some minor progress after I moved to a new place; and the bike looked like this:

In a word, awful. That's the better part of two years sitting around 100 feet from the pacific ocean.

The financial fallout from the house fire hit pretty hard, and all progress stopped on the bike until around 3 months ago.

A friend was kind enough to loan me his SV1000 so I had something to ride, but he really wanted his bike back. He pretty much kicked me in the ass to start the project or give the SV1K back. IE: work on my project consistently or go without an effective means to get to work and school.

So, I enlisted the help of friends and the folks at BARF (especially the all-mighty Zoran), and started making progress.

I stripped her down as far as practical to the frame and spent a few weekends cleaning and repainting.

The motor eventually came fairly clean, and I repainted it.

New suspension went in.

I painted the tank to match the frame and motor.

More bits and pieces came in. An F3 wheel and spacer kit. 520 chain and sprocket conversion with aggressive gearing. R1 brakes. Acerbis headlight. A new front wheel. Etc, etc, etc.

A ridiculous amount of time was spent hand-polishing the wheels. I'll *never* do that again. I should have listened to my friends. Heh.

At this point I started work on the most fun part of the project: the tail. I'd known from the beginning I wanted a bobber. An acquaintance of mine on BARF inspired me several years ago with his SV bobber. It was mean as hell, looked great, sounded great, etc. It was also beat to hell, and a first gen. I wanted to do something similar, but with a 2nd gen, and in a less haphazard way.

Out came the cad software:

New saddle and the bracketry to support it.

The original plan was to get these CNC machined, but that proved to be a bit outside my shoestring budget. So, I did it the old fashioned way with saws and hammers in my buddy's metal shop.

And now the bike is almost done. I'm waiting on some new pod brake lights and turn signals to come in, and I need a new battery (mine was toast after sitting for 2 years). After that she should be good to go. Instruments will come in a month or two (I'm planning on getting a Vapor). I'm going to get some race bike foam padding for the saddle as well. In the meantime though, here she is in her 95% done glory:

The entire electrical system has been relocated under the tank to a custom tray which includes mounts for most of the sensors, the fuse box, ECU, battery, etc. I've moved to pod filters to make room. A PCIII and some dyno time will sort the fueling. I'm unsure as to how much weight I've saved, but before I put the rear tire on, with coolant and oil, she weighed 308 lbs. Due to a lot of do-it-yourselfing, help from friends, and good deals, I've only spent a little over $1000 getting the bike to this stage.

I should have video of her first start-up in 2 years this weekend. I'll post it here, of course.

Hope you guys liked the writeup, and didn't find it too long-winded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
haunter

Bikes: 06 Yamaha R6
Miles Kms: 9000
Send a message via AIM to haunter
Re: Unveiling: SV Super-bobber project

that seat is crazy!!!!!

bike looks awesome imo
haunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
wcj

Bikes: '05 Blue SVS
Miles Kms: not enough

That looks sick! You planning on painting the seat hardware black?

Old 01-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
maxxdope

Bikes: SV650S 2000
Miles Kms: 32600 kms

wow!! WOW !! i'm voting your bike for SVOTM February ...just put it up on nominations.... after the fire you rebuilt LIFE & BIKE!! that's COURAGE!!!
Just wanted to know what model did the spring thingy for the rad hoses came from...599?
maxxdope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Lost1888

Bikes: 2004 SV650 Naked
Miles Kms: 30xxx+

Very, Very nice!
Lost1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
swiest152

Bikes: 09 SFV650, 08 SV677, 09 SV650, 03 Sv650, 92 900SS

You've already gotten my input.

Very nice.
CCS/ASRA #60 | TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovar View Post
there is no school that will make you fast if you don't have it in your self. Talent can not be learned.
swiest152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
snowman88

Bikes: '00 KTM 640, '78 Honda CB550K
Miles Kms: 45k miles

Very nice job, can you post a pic of it from the front and from the rear.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
eisenfaust

Thanks for the props guys. I'm planning on leaving the seat hardware silver for now. I like how it balances with the wheels. The studs will be mostly recessed as well; I'm waiting on some nice studs to come in from McMaster-Carr.

The rad coils are off of a 599, yes. Not quite sure how I'm going to manage that with the Vapor's water temp sensor, but I'll figure something out.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
eisenfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman88 View Post
Very nice job, can you post a pic of it from the front and from the rear.
I'd love to, but I don't have any.... and I had to sell my camera after the fire to pay some bills. :-( I'm dependent on a friend for photos right now.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
enrico vespa

Bikes: 05SV650

excellent job!! Get a hugger so you don't get crud on your back.
enrico vespa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement