PWR Aluminum radiator review - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV Modifications and General Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

SV Modifications and General Maintenance General information about modding and servicing your SV.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
neemeth

Bikes: 2003 SV650N
Miles Kms: 6000
PWR Aluminum radiator review

I know that alot of people are wandering about the PWR aluminum radiator so I thought that I would be the guinea pig and post on my experience.

I bought the radiator on ebay for $435 (includes shipping) from extremeparts7979. Don't worry it was paid for by my insurance. The item was shipped in about 7 days. When I received the Item it was packaged great but when I opened it I noticed a huge scratch across the top of the radiator.

The radiator is supposed to be an OEM replacement but the fan took some persuasion to fit. When Installing the rad I noticed that it is made of a really soft alloy and bent VERY easily. I also found that the radiator is made to accept the factory side trim pieces but is too wide for them to even fit on.

After I installed the rad I was unimpressed with the way that it looks. PWR also claims that the rad lowers the engine temp by up to 25%. I noticed no difference.

Here is a link to a few of the pictures.
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/neemeth/

To conclude, If you are looking for something that is different buy it. It does the function of a radiator. If I had to but a new rad again I would go with the factory rad. It is cheaper, stronger, better fit, and looks better.
neemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
MA$TER_E

Bikes: 2004 YU9 SV650n
Miles Kms: 15,000
Re: PWR Aluminum radiator review

Wow! Sorry to hear about your troubles, but way to take one for the team!

I dumped my SV a few months ago and was seriously considering the PWR radiator over an OEM. I took a step back and looked at my bike and thought the same thing. "Thats not going to look very good..." So I photoshopped it in and it really didn't look very good... To much polished aluminum in my opinion. You need the black one to keep some kind of a color balance. I had never even worried about the fit-up to the bike and fan assembly nor its durability... I figured its gotta be just like OEM but better right? After all the box does say "Performance"...

Anyway, at least you didn't pay for it...
Take care
Old 03-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
TCs03SV

Bikes: 2002 SVS
Miles Kms: Few more ahead Posts: 173,482

Quote:
Originally Posted by neemeth View Post
To conclude, If you are looking for something that is different buy it. It does the function of a radiator. If I had to but a new rad again I would go with the factory rad. It is cheaper, stronger, better fit, and looks better.
Thanks for the info.
Hmmm, I guess an example of higher $ doesn't necessarily = higher quality or better.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
imdying

Bikes: SV1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by neemeth View Post
After I installed the rad I was unimpressed with the way that it looks. PWR also claims that the rad lowers the engine temp by up to 25%. I noticed no difference.
Don't worry buddy, the thermostat is what controls the temp, so you won't notice the difference... They may just mean to get the temp from xxx to xxx, it'll do it 25% faster
Old 03-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
Titusss

is it lighter than stock at least?

it does look funky, it's very wide, maybe some some stainless lines it would look trick.
Titusss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Morpheous

Bikes: 2010 KTM Duke 690!
Miles Kms: 200K+ lifetime (no hwy BS all street)

You could paint the ends black, might look a little better and narrower? (BBQ paint or hightemp exhaust paint will work. )
Morpheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:05 AM   #7
neemeth

Bikes: 2003 SV650N
Miles Kms: 6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA$TER_E View Post
Wow! Sorry to hear about your troubles, but
Anyway, at least you didn't pay for it...
Take care
Yeah but I could have used the money for an OEM.

Anyone wanna trade for an OEM with trim Pieces?
neemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
Rednarb

Bikes: 2000 SV650

Nothing shouts HEY I'M A HUGE AFTER-THOUGHT RADIATOR ON THE FRONT OF THIS BIKE like bright aluminum.
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
There are no stupid questions, but there are a surprising number of inquisitive idiots.
Rednarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
avc8130

Bikes: 2ea: 2002 SVS
Send a message via AIM to avc8130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
You could paint the ends black, might look a little better and narrower? (BBQ paint or hightemp exhaust paint will work. )
This is a great idea! Do this!
ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #10
LSCYCLING
Supporting Member

Bikes: 05 sv650n
Miles Kms: stuck at 24,210

Thanks for the write up. I no longer want one.
or the fun of being able to go ________ (adjective). That's a major ________ (noun).
LSCYCLING is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement