Tank Bra Scratching Tank - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > SVRider Motorcycling Forum
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

SVRider Motorcycling Forum Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
phlosar

Bikes: 2006 Suzuki SV650s
Tank Bra Scratching Tank

So this week I am writing about the outside of the tank. I have 3k miles on my bike, never ridden in the rain. I put several layers of wax on the part of the tank covered by the bra. Anyway, I just pulled the bra yesterday and was very surprised to see a small spot of paintless metal tank and some scuffing of the clear coat that would generally be covered by the bra. I could find nothing abrasive on the bra itself and no signs of any dust or dirt on the interior felt. I have pulled the bra every few months and washed and applied wax. No scratches until this time.

While I understand that dirt can get under the bra and thus abraid the paint finish, has anyone had the tank paint get rubbed off just from a clean OEM bra? The SV embossed is on a separate felt-back piece of the bra, and the position of this piece seems to correspond to the scraches and missing paint.

I will touch up to prevent rust and perhaps go to a stick-on tank protector. Any current favorites there?
650SVS '06 Teal ; Mods: Raceinteach FE kit, HVMP bar ends, Motosliders and Swingarm Spools, Puig Double Bubble Windscreen, Pazzo shorty levers, rear cowl, lowers, rear hugger, Spiegler red SS brake lines, tech grip tank protector, and rim tape.
phlosar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
VARIABLE9
Platinum Member

Bikes: 2006 SV650 K6
Re: Tank Bra Scratching Tank

You can get color match from Colorrite.com. In general, whether car or bike, 'bras' seem to do enough damage to merit not using them IMO.
Coolest blog on my iPad = WhiskeyRacer
VARIABLE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
SvRyder_88

Bikes: 2007 Suzuki sv 650
Miles Kms: 1300
Send a message via AIM to SvRyder_88

I almost bought a bra for mine but i ended up buying this tank protector.
http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/pa...sv6501000.html

sorry about your luck
Keith
Old 01-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
CHIA

Bikes: '01 SV650N (SOLD), NOW- '05 ZRX1200
Miles Kms: 7100

Check this alternative out....the video is very descriptive, and for the $$, looks to be excellent value, and keeps the great look of your tank exposed.....I think those leatherette tank bras look crappy myself.

http://www.thetankslapper.biz/
CHIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
skadeni

Bikes: 2001 SV650N / 2005 FJR1300A
Miles Kms: 31,xxx / 36,xxx
Send a message via Yahoo to skadeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
Check this alternative out....the video is very descriptive, and for the $$, looks to be excellent value, and keeps the great look of your tank exposed.....I think those leatherette tank bras look crappy myself.

http://www.thetankslapper.biz/
+1

I have their 3M kit
Old 01-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
phlosar

Bikes: 2006 Suzuki SV650s

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.techspec-usa.com/gs/gripster_sport.html
650SVS '06 Teal ; Mods: Raceinteach FE kit, HVMP bar ends, Motosliders and Swingarm Spools, Puig Double Bubble Windscreen, Pazzo shorty levers, rear cowl, lowers, rear hugger, Spiegler red SS brake lines, tech grip tank protector, and rim tape.
phlosar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
canyonchaser
Supporting Member

Bikes: Ducati 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvRyder_88 View Post
I almost bought a bra for mine but i ended up buying this tank protector.
http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/pa...sv6501000.html

sorry about your luck
Keith
I used to run glass-masks (tankbra's) on every bike, and I had decent luck with them. But I pulled the bra off about once every couple of weeks to clean and polish things. Leaving the bra on for too long does more harm than good.

Now I just use the little center pads on all my tanks to protect from my belly/zippers/buckles and what not and have had better luck.

The sides of the tank still get worn looking, where your legs rub. But occasional clear-coat polishes (very very very gentle polishes) and liberal use of wax combined with regular cleanings keep things look pretty darn good for quite some time.

But the reality is, if you use it, its going to get wear marks. No matter what you do, it won't always look new unless you never ride it.

Just polish the tank, wax it up, get a center tank protector and just ride the thing. It's just a motorcycle.

dp
canyonchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
gearman
Supporting Member

Bikes: '05 YAMAHA FJR1300

I took mine off after I noticed some dulling of the clearcoat. I regularly waxed under the bra but I could see it was doing more damage than good. The Tankslapper looks like the ticket.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #9
efc807

Bikes: 02 SV650 naked

I can't wait until these stoopid things (tank bras) go away. They're butt ugly and usually do more damage than good. Why ruin the good looks of a bike just to make the tank nice and shiny for the next person who buys the bike. Enjoy YOUR bike! Go Braless! (ladies too) Sorry for the rant....I feel better now.
efc807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
born2ride

Bikes: Suzuki SV650
Miles Kms: 34,000km

I couldn't agree more Canyonchaser. I had thought about putting a tank bra on after a giant bug hit the inside of my knee and made a bit of a mess of the clearcoat. I'm going to stick with wax and cleaning.
Besides I get much more enjoyment from riding it than looking at it. haha.
born2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement