What to look for in buying used? - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > SVRider Motorcycling Forum
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

SVRider Motorcycling Forum Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
vampyre

Bikes: 06 GSXR 750 07 Kawi Nomad 1600
Miles Kms: ????
Send a message via AIM to vampyre Send a message via Yahoo to vampyre
What to look for in buying used?

I am going to make a 9 hour trip Friday to most likely buy a 2006 SV650S. It has 2,400 miles, Yoshi exhaust, and various cosmetic addons. The buyer has bought an R6, so he is selling the SV.
I am mechanically apt, and have rebuilt many a jetski engine. I would like to ask the group if you have some ideas of potential pitfalls to look for, (or ask for in advance, before I make the trip) ?
Again, has 2,400 miles, so tires and brakes are good, as the buyer stated. I have a few pics, with close ups of the engine/frame also.. No scratches, or ever been dropped.
Thanks in advance, and I hope to be uploading pics of my new baby soon!
Thanks,
Chris
vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
PaPa-G
BANNED!!!

Bikes: 2003 Copper SVS
Miles Kms: 20k and change.
Send a message via AIM to PaPa-G
Re: What to look for in buying used?

Well, ffrom that it sounds like he just got bored with it and wanted something faster.
Tires probably are far from being warn out.j
Ask about his break in riding, and ask if he did any stunting.

Ask about if he at least did the oil change after break in.

I've personally bought 2 bikes pretty much without seeing them in person first, just ask as many questions as you can and hope for the best.

With a bike that hasn't been used and is pretty new you should be safe. Hell I bought an 06 w/similar milage...cept the one I bought was in a wreck. The guy selling answered all of my questions and I felt comfortable buying it. Sent them a deposit and drove the 4 hr trip to pick it up a few weeks later. Took me 200 bucks to get it road ready.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
pecha

Bikes: no bike

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html
pecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
NUTT

Bikes: '07 XB12X, '09 Zuma 125
Miles Kms: 30K

Be sure to check the fork tubes for any pitting or rough spots. They'll shred fork seals.
NUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
rayzz

Bikes: 06' SV650S Red
Miles Kms: 17000

just wanted to say that this thread was exactly what I have been looking for. Going to check out a sv650s with ~750 miles on it. It appears the owner just hasn't had time for it, bought it a year ago.

I'll definitely use that bike buying guide. The owner is asking 4600, has viper exhaust and fender eliminator. The price sounds decent, the only other bike I have seen in my area was an 06 with ~10.5k for $4300. That place wouldn't budge at all on the price.
rayzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
canyonchaser
Supporting Member

Bikes: Ducati 848

The most important thing to check is the steering stops on the neck of the frame. If they are snarfed, bent, twisted or damaged in any way, the bike has been down.

Second. Look at the rubber on the shift lever and hand-grips. See that the wear is similar to the mileage. If its a low mileage bike they will look untouched.

Third. More important with an inline than an V-twin. Start the motor and lightly touch the header pipes to see that the warm up at the same rate. If they don't there's a problem.

Fourth, point the bike at wall and rev the motor. The headlight SHOULD get brighter.

Fifth. Feel the rotors. If the bike is low mileage it will be almost impossible to feel any difference between where the pads touch and where they don't touch. A bike with high-mileage will have more wear - the rotors will be worn down more where the pads tough. This will also tell you if the PO used the front or rear brakes more. (most use the rear brakes more).

Sixth: look at the front tires for any kind of uneven wear. Uneven wear will show up if the forks are bent, or the rear wheel is out of alignment - the axle's not straight.

Seventh: Look at the chain, and the rear sprocket. Check that the wear is consistent with mileage. If the rear wheel is out of alignment, there will be funny marks on the side of the rear sprocket.

Lastly: rub your hand slowly over all the low points of the bike - bottom of footpegs. bottom of frame/motor etc. This will show if the bike really has been tipped over. Get down on your knees and look. You'll be surprised how much information that will reveail.

And of course, while you are doing this, look for any leaks, or signs of leaks, particularly from the valve covers (top of the motor) and the forks and the rear shock.

That should cover most things.

dp
canyonchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement