SUZUKI SV650S VS. KATANA 600 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > SVRider Motorcycling Forum
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

SVRider Motorcycling Forum Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
DEACON

SUZUKI SV650S VS. KATANA 600

Hello, I'm a newbie with Suzuki and I'm cuirous to know what's the difference (besides the displacement and the fairings) between the Suzuki sc650s and the Katana. I like both of them and I'm interested in knowing what would make a person choose one over the other besides personal taste.
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
jbswear
Titanium Member

Bikes: '75 FLH chopper,
Miles Kms: -i
Re: SUZUKI SV650S VS. KATANA 600

Both are great, reliable bikes. The engines will run just about forever as long as you change the oil at least once a decade.

Yes, both are budget bikes. The suspension on both suck arse compared to other sport bikes, but can be upgraded fairly cheaply.

The SV is better for tearing up curvy roads. The Kat is better for long-distance riding.

The SV is much lighter. But its small seat isn't great for super slab.

Neither is a bad bike, but neither is a perfect, 'great' bike. Depends on what you want, really...What bikes do you have experience with so far? With that info, we might be able to compare them better.

I've been flogging my little SV for 6 years now and absolutely love it. Longest I've ridden it non-stop was 250 miles and my arse was hurting after that. I'm gonna re-upholster the seat soon, though.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
arcticcatmatt
Site Supporter

Bikes: 01 svn, 99 honda rebel
Miles Kms: 23,000 m

I was comparing the two when I was looking for a bike.

The Katana was alot heavier if I am not mistaken. I wanted a light bike.
arcticcatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
DEACON

I'm a new driver, so my first bike is a Kawasaki 250r. I'm a big guy (5'10" 260) and I can bench press the 250r. I bought it because most people to start out slow, but I outgrew it pretty quickly. I've moved out of the city (NY) and I live in a more suburban area now. Most of my travels will be on the highway now, back and forth to work which is about 15 miles each way. I know the Katana is heavy (relativelly speaking) but does that equal to more stability on the road?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
RandyO
Site Supporter

Bikes: nekid red 99-135k 07VeeStrom1k- 70k

consider also, the V-strom, power delivery will be similar to the SV, but it will have better long distance comforts, it's heavier than the SV, but I think lighter than the Katana
IBA#9560
A man with a gun is a citizen A man without a gun is a subject
RandyO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
jbswear
Titanium Member

Weight doesn't equate to stability on the highway. I've seen bicyclists do 60mph--and their bikes weighed less than 20#. Other factors affect that, like rake and trail of the stearing, length of the bike, and road surface. These two bikes will be comparable on the highway. You'll probably (I don't have all the specs in front of me) get a bit quicker acceleration on the SV at most road speeds, but I do think the Kat will beat it in top end. Then again, for most sane riders, that isn't an issue at all.

You really can't go wrong with either bike, but they do have very dissimilar feeding habits and quirks. The SV will pull right off idle, while the Kat needs to be spun up a bit higher. These are characteristics inherent in most V's and I4's. If you're looking for a more forgiving bike as your next step up, I recommend the Kat. With the SV, throttle control is a BIG factor in rideability...Closing the throttle abruptly is a lot like hammering on the brakes, as the engine slows down so quickly. Likewise, cracking open the throttle will send the bike screaming forward like a scalded ape.

The Kat's responses to throttle adjustments are softer, which will be much more confidence inspiring.

Now that I've spoked such blasphemy against the minor deities of the SV world, you may soon find me tied to a stake, with flames licking at my legs. As much as I love the SV, in my 23 years of riding and numerous models and brands between my legs, I don't think the SV is the best beginner's bike, nor is it the best bike out there. In your case, from the little that I've gleaned from you, I think the Kat my serve you better. Not a lot better, but just slightly.

Again, either would be good for you.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
rbuzaleski

I have to disagree about weight not mattering for highway stability. I'll agree that geometry is what matters for high _speed_ stability, but on the highway you have a big wind factor too, and weight does seem to help with that.

Of course the shape of the bike, any bodywork, and etc. also play a role in this, but, for example, if you keep everything else the same on the SV but add 75 lbs to it somehow (assuming you add it down and toward the front/middle; strapping it onto the rear seat is obviously not the way to go), it will feel more stable in the wind than an unweighted one...at least, that's how it feels to me.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
jbswear
Titanium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuzaleski
I have to disagree about weight not mattering for highway stability. I'll agree that geometry is what matters for high _speed_ stability, but on the highway you have a big wind factor too, and weight does seem to help with that.

Of course the shape of the bike, any bodywork, and etc. also play a role in this, but, for example, if you keep everything else the same on the SV but add 75 lbs to it somehow (assuming you add it down and toward the front/middle; strapping it onto the rear seat is obviously not the way to go), it will feel more stable in the wind than an unweighted one...at least, that's how it feels to me.

True, after a fashion. But that difference in weight isn't going to be a deal breaker. Wind isn't a constant, so I didn't include it in the reasoning. But again, that isn't affecting highway stability. Also, they are comparable. Yes, the Kat will be a bit more stable at speed (minimally because of the weight), but more so because of the shape of the frame and suspension bits.

And weight still doesn't equate to stability on the highway. Didn't say that it doesn't matter, though.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
andyauger
Supporting Member

Bikes: 2001 SV 650

Wind response doesn't depend on weight as much as it depends on aerodynamics and height of the center of gravity. Oddly, the more aerodynamic a bike is (fully faired, for example) the more crosswinds tend to affect it. Some of the big tourers have aerodynamics that are designed to compensate for side loads due to wind.

The higher the center of gravity the higher polar moment of inertia, so the less the bike will be affected by crosswinds. Of course raising the C.G. and making it more massive would make the bike more stable yet. Still, weight has very little to do with it.

Rake, trail, alignment, tire pressure and headset bearing adjustments all contribute to stability (or lack thereof).

I don't find the SV any better or worse than average in terms of wind affect. I do find them very stable on the highway.
andyauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #10
Bigham
Supporting Member

I think the Katana is longer, has a wider turning radius, is not as manuerverable and is down on power when compared to the SV650.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement