How To: Install Third-Eye mirrors! W/PICS!!!! - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > FAQ Section > Non-Cosmetic Accessories
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

Non-Cosmetic Accessories - Handlebars, sliders, luggage, mirrors, tank pads, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
vdubvr6

Bikes: '01 Honda 929 RR
Miles Kms: 16K +
Send a message via Yahoo to vdubvr6
How To: Install Third-Eye mirrors! W/PICS!!!!

Ok, forgive me if i did something unconventional to others that already have them on. I too, like many others, didn't like the "mickey mouse" stock mirrors. I searched and searched for a solution, yet couldn't find anything i really liked and could afford. I wasn't too impressed with the Third-eye mirrors at first, but i bit the bullet and bought some because i was tired of looking behind me while i was riding. They have grown on me via other ppl's bikes and now that they are on my bike, i can't believe i waited so long. So, now we come to how to install them on your bike!

First step is to get your old bar ends off. be careful as to not unscrew them too much or the nut will fall off and then you'll have to go fishing inside your handlebars. I would do one side at a time so you don't get parts confused or anything.

Next, take apart you bar end and keep track of what you have.

Next, open your third-eye mirror if you havn't already. Take the mirror apart and get rid of the square nut, long bolt, and 2 rubber pieces. just set them off to the side, you wont use them, but might wanna keep them just incase.

OK, now we are going to put the bracket end of the mirror that will go into your handlebar together. I reused my old bar end, bolt, nut, and rubber bushing. I did not use the very end piece of my old bar end as i didn't like the way it looked with the mirror bracket on the end, plus they had a little rash!

This is the order of the "new" pieces that will go together.

I had to make a little modification to the mirror bracket in order for the bolt to fit.
First, figure out what size your bar end bolt diameter is and then pick a drill bit the same size and drill through the small mirror braket hole.

Now the bolt fits, but as you can see, the head of the bolt still sits out. The actual mirror will not fit on the bracket. You have 2 options here: 1) Grind the head down until the mirror will fit on the bracket; or 2) use a bigger drill bit to sink the head into the mirror bracket so the mirror will fit. I opted for option #2 because amazingly, of all the tools i do own, a bench grinder is not one of them. CAUTION!!! When you are drilling the second bigger hole to sink the head, make sure you go really slow, or else the drill bit will eat right through the other side, then you're screwed! Just drill really SLOW.

Now the head of the bolt is sunk into the bracket and the mirror will fit just fine now.

Now, put the bolt through the bracket, then the bar end, then the rubber piece, then the nut.

Ok, now put the bar end w/bracket back on to your handle bar and snug it down. Not too tight cause you're gonna want to adjust your mirrors right?

Now re-install the mirror onto the mirror bracket. VIOLA! Enjoy!

Here's a pic of both of the mirrors installed on my bike. Please excuse the dustiness; it's been cold, so all the wife's little projects (sanding crap) get done in the garage. Hope you like!

Thanks for reading my "How-To". Hope it was helpful. Now it's time for beer!
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
enrico vespa

Bikes: 05SV650
Re: Finally! How-To install Third-Eye mirrors! W/PICS!!!!

Old 03-03-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
Nexus242
Supporting Member

Bikes: sv650
Miles Kms: ODO 97922

way to make a contribution
Old 03-03-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
jtemple

Very nice. I like your setup (with the shorter bar ends) vs. mine. I wasn't sure if the different screws would mount flush enough to fit the mirrors on there. I'm using stock bar-ends, and the mounting screw is a flat headed phillips screw. There's no counter sinking of the screw head required. However, you do have to grind the sides of the screw down to make it skinny enough to fit inside the mirror bracket.

Here's a shot of mine (not embedding the image because it's large - I hate distorting the forum dimensions):

http://68.13.86.143:3784/Images/Moto...s/P6031133.JPG

I really don't like the way they stick out so far.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
vdubvr6

Bikes: '01 Honda 929 RR
Miles Kms: 16K +
Send a message via Yahoo to vdubvr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple
Very nice. I like your setup (with the shorter bar ends) vs. mine.

I really don't like the way they stick out so far.
Thanks, i wasnt sure about them at first, but they have deffinatly grown on me and they are useful for sure!

you could always buy a cheap pair on EBay and get rid of the stockers. i think i'm about to take mine off just to paint over the carbon part.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:41 AM   #6
dbcooper

Bikes: 75 DT175 78 CB400A 80 XS850SG 97FXDL 01 SV650N 01 ZRX 03 SV650

Suggestion.Get rid of the crappy aluminum screw assy and get some stainless screws,washers and nuts to hold the mirror on.
All my bikes are naked.<br />2003 SV Full Micron Power Commander K&amp;Nw/snorkle removed Pair blocked fenda extenda rear fenderectomyTRE mod,Sigma cycle computer.<br />2001 Yosh RS-3 race,Ivans jet kit w/desno
Old 11-11-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
longshot

Bikes: SV650 Y2K
Miles Kms: 5500
Re: How To: Install Third-Eye mirrors! W/PICS!!!!

I have them too and they are cheap and functional enough in my clip-ons. However, DO NOT ADJUST without loosening the bolts as you can easily flex the round plastic housing and the round mirror does not flex... a $12 lesson ......
Old 02-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
MKriebs

Bikes: 2004 SVN
Miles Kms: 9800mi
Send a message via MSN to MKriebs

How do they work? Do you see alot of your shoulders? Do they vibrate alot? I am curious about them, naked mirrors don't look good on my clipons... If I can find some cheap-ish I may pick some up.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
DownNeck

Bikes: sv650n 2k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKriebs View Post
How do they work? Do you see alot of your shoulders? Do they vibrate alot? I am curious about them, naked mirrors don't look good on my clipons... If I can find some cheap-ish I may pick some up.
i get less shoulder/elbow with the 3rd eye than the stockers. when mounted to the end of your bar-end weights there's very little noticeable vibration. overall they're an improvement over stock both visually and aesthetically
Old 02-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
Keywork

Bikes: 02 Sv650N + 07 R1
Miles Kms: 13.7k - 4.9k

and where exactly could i find a set of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread