quick release rear hard tail bag mod/review - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > FAQ Section > Non-Cosmetic Accessories
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

Non-Cosmetic Accessories - Handlebars, sliders, luggage, mirrors, tank pads, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
gahdzila

Bikes: 04 SV650S, 05 Yamaha Zuma
Miles Kms: 25k
Send a message via AIM to gahdzila Send a message via Yahoo to gahdzila
quick release rear hard tail bag mod/review

I was in the market for some luggage, and couldnt really find exactly what I wanted at a price point that I thought was reasonable...so with some recommendations of some of you guys, I went out on my own. I went into this project with a few things in mind that I wanted. I wanted something super-quick and easy to attach and detach from the bike, sort of luggage locker-esque is what I had in mind. Quick on and off of the bike with no major mods to the bike and no remaining support racks on the bike when its removed. I didnt want to spend a huge pile of money. Waterproof would be nice. Hard box would be better than soft sided.

As recommended by fellow board member stingray, I bought this hard sided trunk from jc whitney. This is a lockable hard sided trunk, designed for mounting to a luggage rack on a motorcycle. Quick mini review of the case before I get into the down-and-dirty: it's cheap. Cheap is good . Actually, the walls of the case are thinner than I would have liked, but it definately feels durable enough. Stingray PM'ed me and said he had been using his for 4 years or so with no problems, so it must be durable enough. The mounting plate/bracket is thick and heavy plastic that is hard and not flexible at all...feels very sturdy. The case has a lock that comes with two keys. There's a button that allows the case to be quickly and easily removed from the bracket...it requires the key to be unlocked in order to remove it. It's BIG...much larger than my soft tailbag, but (IMO) not so honking huge that it looks bad. I was able to fit a 12 pack of beer, a 6 pack of beer (hey...I was thirsty!), a sack of McDonald's, a couple of packs of cigarettes, and still had lots of room to pack even more smaller stuff in.

I bought another rear seat from someone here to attach the trunk to (cant remember who you are...but thanks!!!) for $35. You can probably find one cheaper than that, but I wanted one with the cover and foam and everything all still intact (which, as I found out, was not necessary).

I tried at first to just bolt the trunk to the rear seat with the cushion still intact...seemed like the easy way out, and I thought it would look better. Well, this method didn't work out too well. In order to compress the foam of the cushion down enough that the trunk wouldnt move, I had to tighten my attachment bolts down really tight...so tight that it actually caused the plastic seat pan to flex - not good! back to the drawing board.

So, I ripped off the cushion, and painted the white seat pan with some black plastic paint from some auto place...cant remember where. The plastic paint did not stick to the seat pan at all (easily flakes off with a fingernail), as you can see in the pics. I plan to just say fsck it and scrub it off with a brillo pad or something and leave the thing white.

Because the surface of the seat pan is very irregular, and the trunk bracket only actually touches the pan on the very ends, I wanted some washers and spacers on the bolts to give it a bit more contact area and to help prevent that flexing of the pan problem that I had before. I used 3/8" nylon spacers, metal washers, and rubber washers. Basically just trial and error figuring out how much spacers I needed at each bolt. The gold colored bolts in the pics are the bolts that came with the trunk (it only came with 4), the silver ones are 1/4" that I bought at the hardware store. The 1/4" ones were a bit larger than the metric bolts that came with the trunk, a little snug in the holes but they fit fine. I dont know the length of them, I bought them really long and cut them off with a dremel after attaching them. The metal strips you see on the underside of the pan are brackets that came with the trunk, cut shorter with a dremel since they were too long for what I used them for.

Special thanks go out to stingray for giving me the idea for the jc whitney trunk, and ronlarimer for originally giving me the idea of using an old seat to attach a bag (there used to be a writeup on his website).

I suck with a camera, and this is my first time to use imageshack, so dont rag me about the pics :P here goes, let me know if you cant see them. they should be thumbnails, click them for big pics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
punkjumper

Bikes: 2000 sv650
Miles Kms: 48,000
Re: quick release rear hard tail bag mod/review

nice work. I did that same kind of thing for a soft sided bag. My bag now zips on and off the rear seat plate.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
e lo

Very nice. I'm about to do the same for a Givi box ... I'm just waiting for the universal mouting plate to come in the mail.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:13 PM   #4
67GTONUT
Eagle one

Bikes: Triumph Speedmaster
Miles Kms: 3400mi
Send a message via AIM to 67GTONUT

Cool idea..... might have to try somethin like that...

By the way.......... we need to talk about your lifestyle..

Quote:
I was able to fit a 12 pack of beer, a 6 pack of beer (hey...I was thirsty!), a sack of McDonald's, a couple of packs of cigarettes,
That just does not sound like a healthy way to live
Old 09-07-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
youngkow

Nice work! Now how different does your bike handle with the luggage full? I want to invest in luggage, but heard it affects the handling a lot.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:37 PM   #6
Bloodhound

How's it handle with 18 beers (13.5lbs) and a sack of Rotten Ronnies on that thing?* Did it seem stable or kinda flimsy (the plate that is)?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #7
gahdzila

I made the beer run the first time I mounted it... I had the seat cushion still in place, and I used only 7 screws (see the gray spots on the underside of the seat pan? JB weld to fill in the old holes where I had mounted it the first time). It felt a bit unstable, because of the way I had mounted it. Removing the seat cushion and putting more bolts in has fixed that, I think. I havent loaded it down since I remounted it, but I did make a dry run with it empty (200 mile round trip) and it felt rock solid. I even reached back a few times while on the road to try to wiggle it...it didnt budge.

The trunk itself and its mounting plate feel plenty sturdy enough to handle its rated load capacity - 8 kg (~17.6 lbs).

As far as the bike's handling...when it was full, I could definately tell something was back there. Bike was slightly less stable...emphasis on SLIGHTLY. Not enough to really bother me. Kinda hard to explain. Kinda similar to riding 2 up, except MUCH less so. Does that make sense? If you're worried about handling, saddlebags would probably be better in this regard, due to the fact that the weight is centered lower on the bike...but like I said, it didnt bother me at all.

I thought I would notice it even when carrying it empty, due to the aerodynamics...but I couldnt tell any difference at all.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:22 PM   #8
gahdzila

update -

just did 700 miles or so with the trunk packed to the hilt - it never budged, it's still rock solid.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
Tyrell

Bikes: '05 SV650 Naked

After one 200 mile trip with a loaded backback, I decided it was time for some luggage.* Thank you Gahdzilla for this write-up!* This was a HUGE help!!* Went 550 miles this past weekend and the trunk was a champ!* The seat base plate is still white but I plan to spray it black if the test spray on the back side works out well...* I recommend this to anyone looking for some good storage space for cheap.* Mine cost me $85 after all was told:
$60 case from JC Whitney
$20 passenger seat from SVR member
$5* *various hardware (bolts, nuts, etc.)

And now without further ado...
Old 08-07-2006, 07:49 PM   #10
biff

wow... super cool mod! i now know what my next mod is.

thank you gahdzila!
Advertisement

Closed Thread