My TRE mod and TPS adjustment experience (UPDATED) - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > 03 + SV650 Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

03 + SV650 Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-up model SV650.

Old 11-14-2005, 12:05 AM   #1
cassius22

My TRE mod and TPS adjustment experience (UPDATED)

Hello to all, very long post follows, just warning you...

I'm "new" to this board, in that I registered a number of months ago after lurking for another few before that, but I never really felt as though I had anything much to contribute, other than some newbie questions, which I resolved to try and figure out myself. So thanks to everyone for making this site so informative and genial-- I wouldn't have bought my 650N were it not for this website, and I can honestly say that I have never, ever regretted my purchase (well, except maybe when it came time to pay for it, hehe) so cheers to everyone that makes this site great.

With that bit out of the way, I can now get to the business at hand-- the TRE and TPS mod/adjustments.

TRE: I did this one last weekend, after having researched it all week and trying my best to convince myself that I wouldn't blow my bike up in the process--I took some convincing-- so I went to my local hardware store to pick up the resistor and alligator clips and heat shrink tubing, etc. etc., only to be told that none of the employees had ever heard of a resistor before-- I guess they skipped 8th grade shop class, eh? Needless to say, they didn't stock them; so after buying the rest of the stuff that they did stock, I went over to the local Radio Shack, where I was informed that they didn't stock 15k ohm resistors, but that I could perhaps put a 10k and a 4.7k ohm resistor in series to get pretty close. Okay, now I'm no electrical engineer, so I didn't really know whether it would work or not, but, despite my misgivings, the two resistors in series seemed to do the trick!

(By the way, for you noobs like me who are still confused as to what the TRE/TPS thingies are, check out the FAQ at sv650.org, as they have incredibly detailed and informative writeups of the two mods/adjustments, unfortunately, the week that I planned to do the mods was the same week that the server went down at sv650.org, so I was not privy to their writeups until today! More on the consequences of that later...)

So the results of the TRE were just what is advertised-- smooth smooth power below 50% throttle, less of a stumble down low in the rev range, and just a feeling of all around yummy goodness. The best way to describe the change is that it unlocks the potential of the engine-- you don't even know how smooth the power can be until you've done the mod, as you were forced to drive around the low throttle stumbles before-- it puts a whole new sheen on your steed, I guess you could say.

TPS adjustment: Well, now this one is more involved-- just did this one tonight, after seeing that the sv650.org site was back up. I actually attempted this one last weekend after I had finished the TRE and was hungry for more wrenching on my baby to really see what she could do. Well, I ran around trying to find suitable writeups of just how to do this adjustment from socalsvriders.com and the TL riders' website, but neither of them made it totally transparent for me. My big hangup came in trying to access dealer mode-- the wires I thought I was supposed to short out turned out to be totally wrong (lacking photos and a detailed writeup, combined with my noob inexperience in working on my SV--my first bike, if you hadn't gotten that already-- all managed to make me blow my main fuse! Yeah, me and electrics, we just don't really get along too well.

So I finally deduced that I had blown the fuse the next morning, as I blew it as darkness was falling, and I don't have a garage or anything like that (I'm a sidewalk mechanic-in-training), so once that was taken care of, I decided to just ride the bike and not anger Suzuki the motorcycle god anymore. With the help of the aforementioned write up, my roommate and I did the TPS adjustment tonight after night had fallen (I was really determined this time) and after a couple hours of toil (couldn't make a suitable "dealer mode tool", lacking some useful tools, etc.) we finished it up as best we could. Turns out that, from the factory, my secondary injectors kicked in at around ~2100rpms, which isn't so bad, considering what others' engines have been set at stock. So that meant that I probably wouldn't experience the night-and-day difference others may have felt at low rpms-- well, I was wrong in that! This bike rocks-- I really have no other way to sum it up. After the TPS adjustment was finished (the closest we got it was to around 1600 rpms for the injectors to kick in-- I'll get it to 1450rpm some other time) rolling on the throttle was so so so smooth, changing gears seemed to be smoother, downshifting was smoother, and I seemed to gain back some of the engine braking that I felt I'd lost from the TRE mod (don't know if others experienced that as well). So now my bike is even more of a joy than it was before, basically. A third gear-sweeper that used to always intimidate me with it's high center dividing wall was really easy to take now because of the smoother throttle response, without the pogo-stick action of easing on and off the throttle on entering the corner. It's probably just wishful thinking, but I swear the bike revs faster now, too... yeah, that's probably in my head, but whatever...

So, now it's time for me to shut my mouth-- sorry for the length of the post, just had a lot to say, I guess... I hope this gives people a sense of what to expect if/when they do these mods/adjustments-- they're really worth the time and effort, which is admittedly shorter for most than it was for me! Ride safely!

UPDATE: So I finally got around to picking up a 100 pack of resistors from Radio Shack, as someone had pointed out that that particular pack contains some 15k ohm resistors-- cost around $6, so not too bad, I'd say. Today turned into a very nice day in the Bay Area after weeks and weeks of rain recently, and I decided to finally redo the TRE with the 15k resistor (remember, I had the 10k and 4.7k ohm resistors in series) to see if it actually made a difference. Well, long story short, I'd say that it actually did! Rolling on the throttle became even smoother than before-- best way to describe it is that it's much easier to go fast without even trying to.

While I had the tank up I also decided to readjust the TPS settings from what I had before, as in the time since I initially did the adjustment the bike would have trouble starting a bit, and had a gas smell upon startup most of the time. Sure enough, putting the bike into dealer mode and checking the switchover to the secondary injectors revealed that they were switching on at 1350-1400rpm, earlier than the ideal 1450rpm. I would think that the engine would get a little bit flooded upon startup from the secondary injectors switching on too soon, and that that would cause the engine to bog, and for the unburnt fuel smell to occur. So I reset the TPS while I did the TRE, and maybe that too helped its smoothness, but I can't be sure. All I know is I like what I saw today-- an hour and a half ride revealed that the point where the fuel starts getting injected when twisting the throttle is smoothed out a bit more than before-- not as abrupt when going from closed to open throttle.

By the way, a few people have asked, and I should note that I have a 2005 naked (my signature tells you that now too) so sorry to those who were wondering.
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2005, 03:27 PM   #2
SV650RX

Re: My TRE mod and TPS adjustment experience

Do you have a link for that site with the TPS mod?
SV650RX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:42 PM   #3
cassius22

As stated, it's on www.sv650.org in the FAQ section-- towards the bottom, where they cover the 03-05 models. It explains everything you need to know there.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:07 AM   #4
gahdzila

Bikes: 04 SV650S, 05 Yamaha Zuma
Miles Kms: 25k
Send a message via AIM to gahdzila Send a message via Yahoo to gahdzila

TPS adjustment direct link - http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=10245

this is what I used, and I had no problems.

I think all the talk about "french cheese" bolts is a little overstated, I had no problems at all with a proper sized torx security bit.
gahdzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
bbmxta

Those screws are made of swiss cheese because they are the same ones that are on almost all carbs/throttle bodies...SOFT. The ones on my 03 KX125 I had were on a little too tight from the factory and even using a impact hammer to try and coax the screws out they still stripped the heads off. Had to basicalt use a pair of channel locks and other assorted tools to finally get the screws out.

Good news is that if yours are on too tight and you do manage to strip the toque bit head out then you can go to the local Lowes, Home Depot, ect. and pick up some more that are made of much better material. Mine were basic philips head screws and not the torx bit head on my 03. It was a mikuni carb also.

Just make sure the torx bit is firmly in the hole and you turn it straight so it doesn't slip out while turning. These bolts shouldn't be that tight since they are going through plastic and not aluminum to aluminum or steel/steel. So, don't overtightened them when finished.

BTW this is the same procedure you use to adjust a TPS on a car also except you use a volt meter to set the TPS to the correct voltage.
2005 Yellow SV650S, Full M4 Carbon/Titanium exhaust, Suzuki OEM Full Fairings, Racetech 0.80 springs/emulators/17.5w Belray oil, 05 GSXR 1000 Shock.<br />2005 Yamaha YZ250F, Pro-Circuit Ti exhaust, Racetec
bbmxta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:46 AM   #6
cassius22

So I was just out riding again for an hour or so (beautiful weather today in S.F.-- and a beautiful night, too!) and I just have to reiterate how smooth the bike is now-- accelerating from around 2500rpm, I noticed tonight that out of habit, I kind of tensed up in anticipation of the sudden stumble that used to occur at around 3500-4000rpm before I did the TRE and TPS-- yet the bike just kept pulling smoothly. Sweet.

One thing I did notice, however, is that in pulling up to stop lights in the last couple of days, I've sometimes gotten a bit of unburnt fuel-smell-- I must admit that I've been practicing my downshifting (the newfound smoothness helps with that), so that could be causing the fuel smell, but I guess I'm just wondering if others noticed it after doing these mods.

On a related note, earlier tonight I had looked into raising the forks in the triple clamps by doing some searches on SVR, and I came across a thread here: http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=21573.0 in which wallypiper suggests raising one's preload to the maximum for quicker steering and a more compliant ride-- yes, seems a bit counterintuitive, however, read the thread...
So I decide to try it out-- I had previously had the preload in the rear at 2, as I never felt that raising it made the bike feel better to me. HOWEVER once I raised the preload in the rear to 7 (front I left at 3) the ride did in fact smooth out a bit, and the steering became noticeably quicker. Now, I'm not claiming that my rear shock was transformed into a Penske or anything, but it definitely felt better to me (I weigh about 185 with my gear on-- 6'3" or so) so I was pretty stoked. Anyways, just thought I'd share-- instead of automatically shelling out for new fork springs/oil as I was thinking earlier today, I may just have to play around with the stock suspension for a bit, (at least, more than I already have...) see what the SV can do stock, give her the benefit of the doubt...

Ride safely!
Old 11-18-2005, 01:11 AM   #7
kosta212

Same feelings on the TRE/TPS mods; only difficulty I had was getting to the torx bolts for the TPS. not much space between the bolt and the frame to easily fit a mini socket into. also no angle for a straight socket driver to properly loosen/tighten the bolts (1st attempt). Also, FYI, after visiting several locations, Radio Shack only carries the proper sized resistor for the TRE in a 100 pc. variety pack (still only 6 bucks, the 25 cent single resistor is a myth). I finished off my mods with an sv1000 snorkel from oneidasuzuki.com. Now she takes big deep breaths when I roll on the throttle, NICE. I did all my mods 2 days apart to make sure I felt each one (highly reccomended)
kosta212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:40 PM   #8
cassius22

--UPDATE--

So yesterday I decided to try and adjust the TPS for that last few hundred RPM down to the ideal 1450rpm switchover point. I wasn't sure if it would make a difference or not (at least not one that was noticeable) but when I put it into "dealer mode", I noticed that the secondary injectors were turning on at around 1900-2000rpm-- I think I didn't tighten the torx bolts enough last time, and the TPS jiggled itself out of the 1600-1700rpm switchover I had set it to last weekend. Took a while to adjust, as I found that if I unscrewed the torx bolts a whole lot, then rotating the TPS had quite a dramatic effect (i.e.- the bike died a few times, oops!) So I tightened up the bottom bolt a bunch, as I found that tapping the top end of the TPS had a much more positive effect than tapping it from the bottom, as was recommended. So I set it low, so that at idle ~1400rpm, the secondary injectors were already on, to compensate for the change that would occur once I tightened up the bolts. Screwed them up tight, and tested the injectors one last time, and bingo, 1450 rpm! After 45mins of grunting and under-the-breath swearing, I finally had it right.

At the same time that I readjusted the TPS, I reattached the snorkel to the front of the airbox (been running desnorkeled for about 4 months and ~2500miles now) since I had the tank up already, and I wanted to see what kind of difference it made in terms of smoothness, whether it lost power, etc. So I can't really say that the TPS adjustment made a huge difference once I fine-tuned it, but the bike is damn smooth now, yes, moreso than before, and it doesn't feel quite as zippy as without the snokel (and I do miss the honk!) so next will probably be the SV1000 snorkel, as people seem to like the effect that has.

I hope my postings haven't been too redundant, as this is all well-covered ground here on SVR-- I just figured that I'd put in my own two cents about what these two "mods" do, especially in concert. All I know is my buddy (who rides a Duc 999s) took my bike out for a spin today, as we like to compare and contrast our bikes, and he was impressed by its newfound wheelie ability (likely the TRE)-- he's a bit more of a daredevil than I am, I must admit... Sorry again for the length, the SV seems to always inspire me to write more, as opposed to less!
Old 11-22-2005, 02:45 AM   #9
cyclerider105

Bikes: 2005 SV1000s
Send a message via Yahoo to cyclerider105

Nice job! A born writer!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:31 PM   #10
slappermouth

A word to the mechanically declined....

A security torx bit is not the same as a regular torx bit.

A security torx bit has a small hole in the center....a regular torx bit does not. I got about 50% done with the mod when I realized the 25 torx bit wouldn't work. I went to Lowe's...didn't have 'em. I went to Home Depot.....didn't have 'em. And since all the specialty tool stores here in good ole Houston close at 6pm, I have to wait until tomorrow to finish up the job. Kinda pissed off. Its always something I don't have and have to run out and grab at the last minute every time I undertake some modification.
Advertisement