Removing the Key/Ignition Switch for racebike. - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Racing Discussions
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

Racing Discussions **POTENTIAL SPOILERS INSIDE** Discuss racing SV's - or talk about your favorite racers, from MotoGP to the local club circuit.

Old 06-18-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
TylerDare

Send a message via AIM to TylerDare
Removing the Key/Ignition Switch for racebike.

I'm removing the Key Ignition switch and want to go to a toggle switch. I'm putting attack racing triple/gsxr forks on and no room for the key. I used a meter to track down what the switch does along with my book. Everything matches. So ....
Wires match up this way. I connect these wires
R-O GR-BR O/R-B/W
Thing is on the O/R - B/W I get 500ohms resistance going through the switch so matching the wires up direct doesn't seem to work just for these two wires...I can acutally run just these two through the switch with the others connected directly and start the bike. Then un-plug them and it runs. It just won't start with them connected direct. . All the others are have no resitance in the circut I see other bikes at the track with toggle switches so how did you do it?. Whats the deal how do I do this? Any help appricated.
TylerDare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
navrat

Here is how I did this to my 2000 SV650. The toggle switch was easy, but getting the ignition system to run was not. I did a search on the WERA message board and found the answer. What you need to do is to splice a 100 ohm resistor (I got mine from Radio Shack) into the ignition circuit. There should be an o/r wire leading from the ignition to the ignitor box. A wiring diagram will help here because wire colors may be different. Cut this wire and insert the resistor. If you have a 2003 or later model SV, then you may need a different resistor. I would definitely use a multi-meter to verify the correct resistance before you proceed. Also make sure and disconnect the battery before you begin working just to be safe. Let us know your results. Good luck.
navrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
TylerDare

Thanks very much friend! I'm going out to get the resistor now. I'll let you know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrat
Here is how I did this to my 2000 SV650. The toggle switch was easy, but getting the ignition system to run was not. I did a search on the WERA message board and found the answer. What you need to do is to splice a 100 ohm resistor (I got mine from Radio Shack) into the ignition circuit. There should be an o/r wire leading from the ignition to the ignitor box. A wiring diagram will help here because wire colors may be different. Cut this wire and insert the resistor. If you have a 2003 or later model SV, then you may need a different resistor. I would definitely use a multi-meter to verify the correct resistance before you proceed. Also make sure and disconnect the battery before you begin working just to be safe. Let us know your results. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:29 PM   #4
TylerDare

Hey went to radio shack and got the resistor. It worked no problems. thanks much for the help!
Old 09-06-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
Bster13

Send a message via ICQ to Bster13 Send a message via AIM to Bster13 Send a message via Yahoo to Bster13
Re: Removing the Key/Ignition Switch for racebike.

Thanks for the info on this page, I was ramming my head against the wall tring to get things started w/out the resistor as well....but here is my other question:

I removed my Ignition switch this past wknd and since there are three pairs of wires that need to be used in order to turn the ignition on, my electrical buddy said I need a SPTT (Single Pull Triple Throw) switch. Well I've looked high and low and can't find such a thing.

Do I really need to keep those three circuits seperate or can I use a SPST (Single Pull Single Throw) switch with all three pairs wires to two contacts?

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2005, 05:56 PM   #6
TWF

you dont need those 3 circuits for race bike,gray and brown wires are for lights.you need to put resistor but you dont have to do it there.you can do it next to cdi box.now you are left with power in wire(red),just wire it in to kill switch.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:17 PM   #7
Bster13

Send a message via ICQ to Bster13 Send a message via AIM to Bster13 Send a message via Yahoo to Bster13

Thanks TWF, I had a look at the wiring diagram and I see what u mean about the brown and grey. SO who cares about those. But I need a better explaination for my newbie self on the other two pairs:

I have the stock kill switch already wired. I suppose the red wire already lives there.

So if I keep the stock kill switch. I just need to wire up the O/R (Resistor)-B/W to my new aftermarket switch? What do I do with the Red and Orange pair?

Thanks,

Bryce

Old 09-06-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
TWF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13

I have the stock kill switch already wired. I suppose the red wire already lives there.
So if I keep the stock kill switch. I just need to wire up the O/R (Resistor)-B/W to my new aftermarket switch? What do I do with the Red and Orange pair?
what you mean kill switch already wired?
I junk all the wires not needed and conect red wire from ignition lock to kill switch(red replaces O/B).now kill switch is ignition lock,no key.
this aotumaticly bypasses side stand switch.only thing left is clutch switch whic is inline with starter button.so mif you take that wire off at big conector where it goes to clutch and rewire it direct to starter button you will bypass clutch switch.
I cut O/R about 3 inches away from cdi box and solder one end of resistor to it.other end of resistor I splice with B/W coming out of cdi box.
once this is done you can get rid of about 5 pounds of wires.everything is bypassed and all you need is few wires for ignition circle and few for charging.both ignition and charging shematics are in manual,those two are all you need to run bike.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:08 PM   #9
Bster13

I never touched the stock kill switch. It's still there on the bike. I was worried about removing it in case it would not pass tech, I figured they'd like the nice big kill switch there in case I bit it.

I was originally going to replace the ignition with an aftermarket switch and leave the kill switch alone, but now I think I understand what u are saying that my stock kill switch will BE my ignition switch as as the kill switch as well. All in one.

I disabled the clutch switch by removing it from the spade connector up around the clutch lever and joined it together up there. I will do like you said now and follow it down to remove more wiring.

I was going to tackle the sidestand switch this wknd, thanks for the advice.

I have to balance the learning process with making sure the bike still runs for the next trackday. I'm getting more mechnically inclined each time I mess with the SV, so thank you for the advice.

Bryce
Old 09-06-2005, 07:17 PM   #10
TWF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13

I was originally going to replace the ignition with an aftermarket switch and leave the kill switch alone

Bryce
you can do that easy.all you need is red and orange wires.resistor you can do next to cdi box.than you dont need b/w wire at lock.basicly all you need is red and orange.
only problem is you have to leave rest of harness in place because wires run back and fore everywhere.best to not cut anything if you go this way.in which case I wonder why you replacing stock ignition? Attack makes ad on bracket for lock(at least it used to since I had set).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement