Upgrading my brake lines to Stainless Steel - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > SVRider Motorcycling Forum
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

SVRider Motorcycling Forum Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Sheparddddd

Bikes: 2003 Suzuki Sv650N
Miles Kms: 22,000
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Sheparddddd
Upgrading my brake lines to Stainless Steel

With my next paycheck will come my next upgrade to my bike. The bike definitely seems like the brakes need some maintenance such as getting bled. I have been poking around and it seems like upgrading to stainless steel brake lines are a good reasonable price option. I plan change both the front and rear brake lines , also bleeding and changing brake fluid since the PO did not keep proper maintenance or even having an idea when he changed anything last.

I'm currently looking at lines from Spiegler (mostly cause I've seen stickers of theirs and I can customize the colors )

http://spieglerusa.com/brake-line-kit-1103.htm
http://spieglerusa.com/brake-line-kit-1104.htm

I think those seem to be the right ones... but anyways, the last of my questions. Is bleeding the brakes and installing the SS lines possible to do at home or should I leave it for trained professionals? I don't want to lose an arm or a leg with paying someone when I can do it at home, or lose the arm and a leg cause I installed incorrectly lol. I personally would like to do it myself so I can do it in the future again. Anything you guys can tell me is a help. thanks
http://imgur.com/a/YWgAX#0 - My Sv Album
-spidermonkeyjr-
Sheparddddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
silentfurymm

Bikes: 2003 SV650N, 2006 Ducati ST3
Miles Kms: 14700, 16000 miles
Re: Upgrading my brake lines to Stainless Steel

Pretty simple job. I have Spiegler SS on the front, never seen the need to have SS on the rear for street use. The largest hurdle is always bleeding, much much easier to do with somebody helping to squeeze a lever. Otherwise just open the bleed valve on the caliper and pump out the old fluid, detach lines and hook up new ones, fill with fluid and bleed.
silentfurymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
pothiawala786

Bikes: 05 SV650S
Miles Kms: 41k...
Send a message via AIM to pothiawala786

If you can find a big syringe, the bleeding process is pretty quick.

You take a small piece of hose that fits on the bleeder and the end of your syringe and push the fluid from the bleeder valve on the caliper upwards to the MC.

Do this twice on each side (making sure not to overfill the resevoir) and then bleed by hand a couple times the old fashioned way.
pothiawala786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Sheparddddd

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentfurymm View Post
Pretty simple job. I have Spiegler SS on the front, never seen the need to have SS on the rear for street use. The largest hurdle is always bleeding, much much easier to do with somebody helping to squeeze a lever. Otherwise just open the bleed valve on the caliper and pump out the old fluid, detach lines and hook up new ones, fill with fluid and bleed.
Awesome thats music to my ears. So you say the rear isn't needed? I guess bleeding them will suffice. thank you for the help.
-spidermonkeyjr-
Old 08-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Sheparddddd

Garage

and just to confirm I want the 2 line front kit ( first link) right?
-spidermonkeyjr-
Old 08-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
silentfurymm

Bikes: 2003 SV650N, 2006 Ducati ST3
Miles Kms: 14700, 16000 miles

Seems right. My kit had two front lines. The little plastic block is to help you spin the banjo fittings until they are lined up. Scroll about halfway down my build thread and you can see them installed.
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108993
silentfurymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
brnact

Bikes: 2006 SV650
Miles Kms: 10000

I'd install the lines myself, but then take the bike to a shop that has one of those vacuum machines that suck out the old fluid and inject new fluid. Too many bad experiences under my 300zx bleeding brakes, lol. I am paranoid about air pockets in the caliper, etc.
brnact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
BALDTIRES

Bikes: 07 BMW R1200RT
Miles Kms: 2 light years

It is a pretty simple swap. Just remember brake fluid will eat paint so be careful with that. Syringes work good from the bottom. Vacum tools work well also and my favorite for one man bleeding is Speed Bleeders. You can do a search here to read about them or just Google it. They work great.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
Rock Dodger
Site Supporter

Bikes: 2006 Suzuki SV650N
Miles Kms: 48,000+ mi.

Any time you bleed brakes, first suck all of the old fluid out of the MC with a syringe and fill the MC with new fluid. That way you won't have to pump all of the old fluid out before you add the new fluid. Saves a ton of time.
Rock Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
bammerburn
Supporting Member

Bikes: 2000 SV650n and Zero FX 5.7
Miles Kms: SV: 44k and FX: 700

You should pop for Speedbleeders. They make the brake-fluid bleeding job way easier (and easier to learn!), and they're cheap. I put them on all my bikes now. That way you don't need to buy that MityVac or other stuff.
bammerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement