SUMO Dreams - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > SVRider Motorcycling Forum
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

SVRider Motorcycling Forum Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
zabrow187

Bikes: WR450X
Miles Kms: Actually... No Idea
SUMO Dreams

So I am selling my K8 SVs to a fellow member, and I have already started scoping out my next ride. I am 100% set on a SUMO, I want something versatile, that I can abuse and not feel bad about it. For a long time I thought a DRZ400sm was the way to go but the low CC's had me wary of it's commuting ability. So I looked into bigger more true dual sport bikes like KLR's and DRZ 650s and I couldn't find one that peaked my interest.

But today I found my bike, a KTM 530 XC-F. It fits all my criteria, big single, capable, will take "spirited" riding like a champ, really a street legal dirt bike. I think I am in love, the only hiccup is that it comes with dirt tread and the 17" SUMO wheels are $1000.

My dad is a orange bleeder and does nothing but sing the praises of KTM products, what do you guys and gals think about my choice? Are there other options I should consider? Who rides a SUMO daily and can give me a real life perspective on using one as a daily ride?

Sent from the BAT PHONE
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
bighammer
Supporting Member

Bikes: 2004 SV650 Yellow
Re: SUMO Dreams

So not one of these, eh?

In about 3 weeks time, I'll be heading down to Charlotte. Hope the weather is good then.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
fastlil1
Site Supporter

Bikes: 2007 SVS650
Miles Kms: 20,000
Garage

I ride a DR-Z400 dual sport every day... litterly. I haven't driven my truck to work since November 21st, and being in Minnisota, I had some fun rides in to work. I often think about trading it in for a more dedicated Sumo, and if I find the right deal, I will.

The tire swap is 1,000, yes, but you can off set that by selling your rims and tires for 6-800, so it really isn't as bad as it seems. Though, I bet if you get it and run it, you will run dual sport for a while. If nothing else becuse I can put two full sets of 80/20 street tires on for less than the cost of a single sumo back tire.

As far as comutability, that depends on your cumute. If you are running down the interstate for 40 minutes.... a Sumo is going to get old pretty quick. Not that it can't do it, or that it is even hard on the bike. It just isn't as nice of a ride as the SV. If you are dealing with heavy traffic, the sumo will be a god send (if your willing to bend the rules). You can buzz through traffic and find short cuts all over in a town (running train beds, blasting through parking lots, and shooting through empty lots are all options).

I have the DR-Z and my SV and ride them both a ton. If I can get there with less than 15 minutes of driving 55 or more, I take the DR-Z. Everything else, the SV gets the nod.
fastlil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
lonexb

Bikes: 04 650s

you should look into a husqvarna sm610. great bikes lots of fun and maintenence is a breeze.i have had one since 2006,it now has 38k miles on it. funnest bike i have ever owned.

check out:http://supermotojunkie.com/
great website, a whole lot of info on anything supermoto.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
zabrow187

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonexb View Post
you should look into a husqvarna sm610...
The local dealer that has the KTM 530 had a Husky 610 for a little while on consignment for $6000, I should've jumped on it when I had the chance. I heard getting parts from Husqvarna was a pain.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
zabrow187

Old 03-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
OZ-SV

Bikes: 2011 Sv650

^ DROOL
OZ-SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
lonexb

Bikes: 04 650s

I haven't had any problems getting parts.
Advertisement