Petcock vacuum inlet "fix" - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV Modifications and General Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

SV Modifications and General Maintenance General information about modding and servicing your SV.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
RcGuy

Bikes: 2002 SV 650
Miles Kms: 12000
Send a message via AIM to RcGuy Send a message via Skype™ to RcGuy
Petcock vacuum inlet "fix"

Hey guys I'm new to the forum, thought I'd make my "first real post" something that would hopefully be useful.

So I dunno about you guys, but I think the vacuum-line inlet on the petcock is pretty flimsy...I was repairing a tank crack for a friend and the inlet got broken in transit .

So my friend and I had two choices...spend $50-ish on a new petcock and wait weeks for it to come, or try to fix the broken one. Being a poor college kid we went for the repair

And it worked! So here's how it went...

1st, bought a 1/8 NPT-3/16 Barbed end tap. (Miner's, $2.49) A 1/8 NPT-1/4 Barbed end tap may also work, though the hose fitting may be quite tight. I used a straight inlet...in retrospect I think a 90deg elbow would've definitely been better, I thought the hose was long enough but it was just a bit short to work with the straight fitting.

Drained the tank and removed the petcock cover that the vacuum inlet is on (held on by 4 phillips screws)

Used my dremel tool to cut off the old inlet and grind the top flat to the first round section.

Drilled an 11/32" hole into where the original inlet. Definitely don't go straight for the 11/32" drill bit, work your way up from smaller bits so you don't destroy the metal.. NOTE: There seemed to be a one-way valve/rubber flap...you will end up drilling through it. It doesn't seem to affect performance. Several miles of riding and I haven't noticed any bogging, flooding, leaning etc.

With the hole drilled, tap a 1/8 NPT thread into the hole (You may be able to fit the fitting into the hole without tapping? Just self thread?).

Test fit the new fitting into the hole. Note how far the threaded end protrudes into the cover...you don't want it to stick out more than...I'd say 1/4" to prevent it from interfering with the petcock valve. Grind or cut the fitting's threaded side until it's short enough.

Lay down a little RTV (or a glue/sealant of your choice) on the surface around the newly drilled hole to ensure a proper seal. You can put a little goo on the threads of the new inlet too. Thread the new inlet in and let your "glue" set! Although do make sure that the inlet doesn't have any glue in it's hole that would prevent the vacuum line from doing its job.

When you reinstall, just make sure to point the elbow the right direction if you are using an elbow type inlet.

If you guys think this might be a helpful...err..."fix" let me know and I'll see if I can do a real write up on it with pics and all that cool jazz, hopefully it helps someone get on the road cheaper faster
RcGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
james4396

Bikes: 06' Daytona 675, 02' Daytona 955i, 05' Vstar1100, 02' GSXR600, 02' SV650 track bike
Miles Kms: 22000 miles
Garage
Re: Petcock vacuum inlet "fix"

No pics of the 1/8 NPT-3/16 Barbed end tap ...

That part does not Google either. Where did you get this?

This was somewhat helpful. Now I just have to figure out a fuel filter fix too.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
RcGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4396 View Post
No pics of the 1/8 NPT-3/16 Barbed end tap ...

That part does not Google either. Where did you get this?

This was somewhat helpful. Now I just have to figure out a fuel filter fix too.
Sorry, my description is...meh. lol. I'm not sure what it's true name is. If you search "1/8 NPT to 3/16 barbed" you should be able to find it. Here's a pic of the "90 degree" elbow fitting, even the right size!

You should be able to find these at pretty much any hardware store...HomeDepot, Ace, Miner's etc etc.

What do you mean a fuel filter fix? Do you mean the petcock filter? Assuming there aren't massive chunks flowing through your tank...you may be ok with just an inline fuel filter with 3/16" or 1/4" fittings...the 1/4" gets a bit tight though so be ready if you go that route.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
james4396

Bikes: 06' Daytona 675, 02' Daytona 955i, 05' Vstar1100, 02' GSXR600, 02' SV650 track bike
Miles Kms: 22000 miles
Garage

Thanks! I know this part.

Yes the petcock/fuel filter. I did install a inline fuel filter but gunk can clog open the petcock if that filter is damaged. I'm ordering various in-line filter hopping that a cheap fix can be found for this problem too.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
RcGuy

I wonder how difficult it would be to buy a large automotive filter, rip the screen out of it and install it inside the tank? Or just some sort of tight screen mesh. Good luck with that one, let me know what you find I'm curious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement