fuel petcock operation & service - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > 99-02 SV650 tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

99-02 SV650 tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 99-02 model SV650.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
james4396

Bikes: 06' Daytona 675, 02' Daytona 955i, 05' Vstar1100, 02' GSXR600, 02' SV650 track bike
Miles Kms: 22000 miles
Garage
fuel petcock operation & service

A broken screen on my petcock is causing issues. Where do i find a kit with a new screen. Buying a used petcock with a 10yr screen is only a temporary fix. $90 for a new one is a bit much.

If I pull the hose from the petcock with bike off the gas comes spilling out. My carbs gummed up and I'm going to assume this is the reason why. I have not open it up to clean it out. I'm going toward rebuilding it with a kit. No replacement screen in any kits I've seen though. Anyone have a solution to a broken screen on this unit.

I'm sure there are a lot of petcocks out needing rebuilding by now. A used one is not preferred as it would be needing a rebuild too and the screens are at it's end of life.

The unit to the right side that would be called what The vacuum hose from the front carb goes to that one.

Where is the best place to put a fuel filter. Right after the gas tank petcock?

Edit: My guess is that tank crud had clogged open the fuel petcock because broken fuel filter (what I called a screen). My gummed up carb theory is that the petcock and fuel pumps are clogged with crud so the diaphragm does not close and gas flows to the carbs. I'm sure with no gas flowing into the carbs while the bike is sitting the carbs would be less gummed up.
james4396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
RMAN

Bikes: '05 Triumph Thruxton 900, Triumph T595 Daytona, '01 SVS SOLD
Miles Kms: 15,600 15,500 22,000
Re: fuel petcock operation & service

Have you taken the petcock apart? The only screen that I know of associated with the petcock is the fuel filter that protrudes into the tank. There is a spring that keeps the valve closed inside the petcock that prevents fuel from flowing unless the motor is running and the vacuum from the rear carb overpowers the spring pressure and allows fuel to flow. Gummed up carbs have nothing to do with the petcock. You might want to remove the petcock, carefully disassemble and clean inside and see if there is a problem with the spring keeping the valve closed.
As far as adding another fuel filter, you could install the filter horizontally into the fuel line from the petcock to the fuel pump. However, there is the filter/screen in the tank and each carb float needle seat has a small fuel screeen as well. The rear carb has a vacuum line to the petcock, the front carb vacuum port is plugged, doesn't have a hose unless one was added for carb synching. The part on the right frame side is the vacuum operated fuel pump to the carbs. I believe it receives its vacuum from the rear carb as well, I don't remember. A damaged screen/filter on the petcock would not let fuel leak out the petcock. Only the spring/valve assembly would do that. Sounds like the valve is stuck open inside the petcock.
RMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
james4396

Bikes: 06' Daytona 675, 02' Daytona 955i, 05' Vstar1100, 02' GSXR600, 02' SV650 track bike
Miles Kms: 22000 miles
Garage

Opened it up ... tank crud was wedging the gas valve open. It was gummed up and would not have closed even after blowing out the crud.

It's not useable without the fuel filter (screen). Shopping for a used one as a temporary fix.

Still looking for a replacement for the fuel filter.
james4396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
RMAN

Bikes: '05 Triumph Thruxton 900, Triumph T595 Daytona, '01 SVS SOLD
Miles Kms: 15,600 15,500 22,000

You might want to clean the tank and possibly reline if the inside looks corroded.
RMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
Duc995

Bikes: track-only '00 SV650, track-only '97 Ducati 916

If you want a petcock with a new filter screen you're going to have to "pay to play."

The cheapest option for you is to use an inline fuel filter like you suggested. You can pick those up at either a car parts store or a bike shop. However, if you tank is full of "junk"...like maybe rust? You're going to need to reline the tank like previously mentioned. Once the tank is clean you should't have any debri to clog up you system and using an inline filter would be extra insurance.

If you do need to take care of a rusted tank try the kit supplied by the people at www.por15.com. I've relined two tanks so far any it really does the job.

Best of luck!
Duc995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
tovar

Bikes: mali tovar

See pin hole on this picture, that is on petcock bottom cover where hose connects to. Clean that pin hole and it will work again. It is vent line and when clogged petcock will not close.
tovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement