Valve clearance check experiences - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV Modifications and General Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

SV Modifications and General Maintenance General information about modding and servicing your SV.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
derj

Bikes: '03 SV650N
Miles Kms: growing daily
Valve clearance check experiences

Last year I checked my valve clearances......bike had 12,000 miles....and I found 1 exhaust valve to be at a very tight minimum clearance and the other 7 to be comfortably at minimum clearance. Not uncommon findings. I decided to just adjust the one exhaust valve and check the rest again at 18,000....just in case. Well, that 18,000 mile mark happened sometime in September and I was too busy riding, so I kept putting it off. Besides, reshimming is a PITA. Today, at 21,000 miles, I checked the clearances again. I was happy to find that all of them stayed just about where I left them at 12,000 miles. I found out for my skeptical self what has been mentioned here many times......If the valves are within spec....even right at the minimum.... leave them be. They really do hold their adjustment quite well.
derj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
scott26

Bikes: 2005 Suzuki SV1000S
Miles Kms: 19,000 Miles (and growing)
Re: Valve clearance check experiences

I had check mine at 15,000 to find them in spec... but was uneasy about the quality of work I did the first time so I did it again a 20,000 taking the radiator out and all and found them to still be within spec... saved me $300 at a shop.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
rcannon409
Supporting Member

Bikes: 2003 sv 650s 2008 Concours 14abs
Miles Kms: 14,000

Guys, was this a difficult job? I am getting ready to check mine on an 03 with 15k. Any tips not listed in the manual?
rcannon409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
derj

Bikes: '03 SV650N
Miles Kms: growing daily

The checking of clearances is not a difficult job. Removal of the radiator will make things a bit more roomy when dealing with the front cylinder but I don't think that its removal is required for just checking clearances. It probably would be worth doing if you have to reshim the front but just unbolting it and moving it out of the way (be careful with the fins BTW) would be enough to just check clearances. As in all things..... YMMV.
derj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
bcj

Bikes: k3 sv650

I bought my k3 with 11k miles and put off the checkup until 20k. Was having too much fun.

Only two exhaust shims were slightly tight. Everything else was comfortably within spec.
New chain and sprockets at the same whirlwind cleanup session.

I'm very happy with the mechanicals in my SV.
bcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
champer

Bikes: 2000 SV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Guys, was this a difficult job? I am getting ready to check mine on an 03 with 15k. Any tips not listed in the manual?
It's not overly difficult. If you have a service manual and a solid afternoon you should be able to do it.

The annoying part comes if the plug on the left side case cover does not come out (and then you strip it). You need to take this plug out to turn the engine over by hand.

I suggest using an impact if you can get one. I've had 2 strip out of 4 engines. When reinstalling - make sure to put some antiseize on the threads and o-ring. Doing this when I try to take them out again they come out easy.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
scott26

It is not that hard of a job you just have to pay attention to detail. It is not needed to remove the radiator but if you dont plan to get cut up some and curse a lot more. As far as the impact goes I think you are talking about the generator plug if so dont use an impact on that. I think it is an alumminum plug which will not go well with the power of an impact... just use a wrech... and if worst case senario use a breaker bar no impacts though.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
champer

Bikes: 2000 SV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott26 View Post
It is not that hard of a job you just have to pay attention to detail. It is not needed to remove the radiator but if you dont plan to get cut up some and curse a lot more. As far as the impact goes I think you are talking about the generator plug if so dont use an impact on that. I think it is an alumminum plug which will not go well with the power of an impact... just use a wrech... and if worst case senario use a breaker bar no impacts though.
Yes that plug.

I've had better luck with the impacts - using a breaker bar for me has resulted in stripping out Allen hole in the plug making it circular.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
scott26

Well to each there own.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
Lgn001

Bikes: '83 CB1100F, '00 SV650, ex-'07 VFR

Rather than remove the plug, put it in second gear and "bump" the bike forward.
Lgn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement