home made tire changing stand and No-Mar mount/demount bar - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > SVRider Motorcycling Forum
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

SVRider Motorcycling Forum Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
drinkbrew
Site Supporter

Bikes: 2008 SV650SF
Miles Kms: 35,000
Send a message via Yahoo to drinkbrew
home made tire changing stand and No-Mar mount/demount bar

I decided to start changing my own tires and after reading many threads on here, watching youtube videos and other research I decided to get the No-Mar mount/demount bar and make my own stand.

I started off by ordering a new pilot power 2ct, angled valve stems and this tool from No-Mar.

For the tire changer I decided to take few idea from different changers and make one that goes in the reciever hitch on my truck for stability so I didn't need to have a separate stand.

basic idea after cutting the 2" square tubing

flap discs on the angle grinder makes smoothing out the edges and taking the paint off the areas that were going to be welded a breeze. One lesson learned, wait for the steel shop to be open instead of using painted fence posts from home depot. I was trying to be "thrifty" and use some of the metal I already had left over in the garage from other projects.

The arms were cut at 30 degrees and welded to the main arm so there would be 60 degrees between each one.

Cleaned up the welds on the top side

I welded a small piece of the tubing on top of the 2 arms and cut up a metal stake to make the "claws" that would hold the rim. I know, I know my welds aren't the greatest, I was playing around with a few different settings and techniques. Having a few beers probably didn't help

The third mounting claw I made into a sleeve so it could slide over the end of the main arm so it could clamp the rim. You can see the pieces that i welded onto the bottom of the sliding clamp and the main arm to clamp down to keep the rim locked in.

I covered the claws in duct tape to keep them from scrathing the rim.

I quickly threw togeather a bead breaker out of a couple 2x4s after trying to do it with a big clamp and failing. Eventually I'll make a nicer one out of steel, but it actually worked pretty well.

After breaking the bead I used 5/8" all thread throught the axle hole with nuts and washers on both sides to hold it in place as a pivot point for the No-mar tool. I put PVC pipe over the all thread to keep from scratching the tool. basically nut/washer/wheel/washer/nut/washer/PVC/washer/nut. the quick clamp in the back is to help hold the tire bead into the valley.

I was starting to loose daylight so the pics were getting crappy. This is how is looked mounted in the reciever hitch.

the new tire all mounted up

I tried to get a quick video of the actual tire change but it didn't come out that great between the low light and the nieghbor kids cruizing by on their hot wheels . But it went very easy for my first time changing a tire myself.

taking the old tire off I missed the lower bead for a second, but other then that it came off with very little force.

demount video

Mounting the new one got a tiny bit tight while trying to get the last part of the bead on the rim but I'm pretty sure that is normal from what i have read/seen.

mount video

One of these days when I'm not as rushed I will make another one of these that will be more adjustable (and a little cleaner) so I can do different size wheels.
drinkbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
LithiumSky
Site Supporter

Bikes: La Negra Tomasa 2006 SV650S
Miles Kms: Doce mil y punta
Re: home made tire changing stand and No-Mar mount/demount bar

Awesome, good job!

Trolling the world...one forum at a time.
LithiumSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:47 AM   #3
drinkbrew
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSky View Post
Awesome, good job!
thanks, I would have kept going to the dealer and paying $25 a tire change if it wasn't for all the info I have found from other members here. So I guess thanks SVR!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:39 AM   #4
drinkbrew
Site Supporter

After seeing a few thread talking about the No-Mar tire changing bar not being as easy as it looks I figured I would update this thread. I did another change today and got a better video. This is only about the 3rd time I have used it and need to make some improvements to the rim holder to keep it from spinning, but it shows how easy it is.

Removing tire from the old rim.

Putting the tire back on the new rim.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:15 AM   #5
HerrDeacon

Bikes: '09 Gladius, '72 CB350, '82 MB5

That's sweet. I absolutely love homemade tools, very nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

My Gas Mileage
HerrDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:05 AM   #6
Livewire

Bikes: sv650, 2008
Miles Kms: 3200

That's pretty slick. Mobile tire changer.
Livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
nucular
Supporting Member

Bikes: 08 SV650S
Miles Kms: 9000+

I never realized drinkbrew was NOT OJ.

Nice job on the changer. Could you post up a CAD drawing with all of the dimensions?
nucular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
easydoesit

Bikes: 09 Suzuki sv650s
Miles Kms: OVER 9000

Now thats some ingenuity, very nice
easydoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
drinkbrew
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucular View Post
I never realized drinkbrew was NOT OJ.

Nice job on the changer. Could you post up a CAD drawing with all of the dimensions?
I could take some measurements if there are any in particular you want but for the most part I just roughed it. With the one side being adjustable to tighten the rim down there isn't a need to be super accurate. I'll probably make a newer one this winter with some better tubing and add a metal bead breaker and better clamps into the design.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:05 AM   #10
JollyGQ

Bikes: 04 SV650s--yeah!
Miles Kms: 72k 30/day if i'm lucky..
Garage

man, that is awesome! Definitely wanna do something like that. I'll have to pay a welder though since I don't have my own. I was wondering...why don't you make a metal bead breaker that mounts to the top of the arm of your rig? Just put a receiver welded to the top with holes and a pin so you can take it off when you're done.

My bike and all the labor of love -- http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119761
JollyGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement