Bike feels like its skipping? - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > 03 + SV650 Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

03 + SV650 Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-up model SV650.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
NextDeKade

Bikes: 2003, Suzuki SV650s
Miles Kms: 36k
Exclamation Bike feels like its skipping?

So I bought this 03 sv650s from a guy who left to military - was a neighbor of mine..

has 33k miles on it when I bought it and it now has about 36-37..

Today I was doin about 70 on the free way, just kinda crusin - and it felt like the whole bike was wanting to jump off the pavement.. almost like the road was wavy?

So I changed lanes.. and same thing.. So I exited the free way - and I dont really notice / feel it riding between 35-65mph but the moment I hit 70+ the bike just starts kicking again?

I know that my front forks need to be resealed and it feels like the clutch is going out - when I give it throttle it kinda starts to hesitate and then it goes "oh yeah were in gear" and goes :P

So I thought starting here would be a good idea for some opinions because I am about to go take it in for service to see where it stands.. and if I can get a actual 650s riders opinion then itll help me out over this tech im gonna go see at this shop

Thanks

Mike
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010, 03:06 AM   #2
Dr. Howard Feltersnatch

Bikes: K7 SV1000S K4 SV650N
Miles Kms: 11,000 / 12,000
Re: Bike feels like its skipping?

Sounds like major wheel imbalance, like it lost a weight combined with worn shocks.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
PrtclMn001

Bikes: Copper 03 SV650S
Send a message via AIM to PrtclMn001

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextDeKade View Post
So I bought this 03 sv650s from a guy who left to military - was a neighbor of mine..

has 33k miles on it when I bought it and it now has about 36-37..

Today I was doin about 70 on the free way, just kinda crusin - and it felt like the whole bike was wanting to jump off the pavement.. almost like the road was wavy?

So I changed lanes.. and same thing.. So I exited the free way - and I dont really notice / feel it riding between 35-65mph but the moment I hit 70+ the bike just starts kicking again?

I know that my front forks need to be resealed and it feels like the clutch is going out - when I give it throttle it kinda starts to hesitate and then it goes "oh yeah were in gear" and goes :P

So I thought starting here would be a good idea for some opinions because I am about to go take it in for service to see where it stands.. and if I can get a actual 650s riders opinion then itll help me out over this tech im gonna go see at this shop

Thanks

Mike
Sounds like you answered your question with the forks needing to be resealed. As stated above, you should also check to make sure the wheels are balanced correctly.

As for the clutch, before replacing, you may want to make sure it's adjusted correctly. How much free play in the lever is there?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Zach
SV Hadder

Bikes: GATS Blue dirty bike
Miles Kms: eleventy billion
Send a message via AIM to Zach

get the stuff that you know is bad taken care of first.

also check for bent or imbalanced wheels and worn or dry-rotted tires.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
Jay V
Supporting Member

Bikes: 06 SVn

Most likely you need a new set of tires, and there may be other issues as mentioned above.

Run you hand over the tread - is it wavy and cupped? If so they're junk, and you need to at least change-out the fork oil before fitting new ones. If the tires are original, they're junk by now anyway.

Tires will last about 4 or 5 years tops, then they become hard and dry - doesn't really matter how many miles are on them.

Jay
Jay V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
NextDeKade

Bikes: 2003, Suzuki SV650s
Miles Kms: 36k
Arrow Re: Bike feels like its skipping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrtclMn001 View Post
Sounds like you answered your question with the forks needing to be resealed. As stated above, you should also check to make sure the wheels are balanced correctly.

As for the clutch, before replacing, you may want to make sure it's adjusted correctly. How much free play in the lever is there?
There really isnt much free play in the clutch lever.. If anything its more like a delay?

And today - I was riding across town for a job interview and I notice that normally when I ride in 3rd gear at 40-45mph.. the vibration of the bike feels like its trying harder then ever to keep it there.. so i either slow down or shift into 4th gear to get rid of it.. but then as i steady at 55-65 in 4th.. same issue..

I made a few phone calls around the valley to get price quotes and its pretty outrageous :P

Mike
Old 05-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
Jay V
Supporting Member

Bikes: 06 SVn

What is the condition (and adjustment) of your chain and sprockets?

The clutch may be adjusted too tight (not enough free-play).

Jay
Jay V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
SVHDrider

Bikes: SV650K6, FXSTSB

the pulling from side to side could be....

Tire pressure, what is it set at?
Steering stem bearing rusted or have a flat spot. Put the side stand down and put a jack under the exhaust. Jack up the front then see if the steering is free from side to side.
SVHDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement