Best year? And how many miles is too many? - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > 99-02 SV650 tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

99-02 SV650 tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 99-02 model SV650.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
farquand

Bikes: Suzuki SV650
Miles Kms: ??????
Best year? And how many miles is too many?

I am a newb to motorcycles and I'm being steered toward a SV650 by others more knowledgeable than I. I have been told that the earlier SV's are better handling than the newer ones, is this true and how many miles would be considered too many? Thank you for any input, oh great and powerful forum.
farquand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
LithiumSky
Site Supporter

Bikes: La Negra Tomasa 2006 SV650S
Miles Kms: Doce mil y punta
Re: Best year? And how many miles is too many?

Think more of carburated vs fuel injection. If you like messing with carbs get a 1st gen if you more practical get a 2nd gen.

Trolling the world...one forum at a time.
LithiumSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
SV Mania

Bikes: '08 SV650S(F)
Miles Kms: 9,XXX +

Best year could include aesthetics but the sake of your question it's better left out. I really haven't seen any actual information that would prove the steering on a generation 1 vs generation 2 that would seperate them in their ability to "turn." Minus riding position that might make turning easier for some, turning ability depends solely on the rider.

I would recommend 2004+ because it has fuel injection over carbs (gen 1's), availabilty of parts and aftermarket components. I would choose 04+ over the 03 because the 03 requires unique parts like exhausts. For clarification 99-2002 are considered gen 1's and 03+ are gen 2's. In the end, if you can find a good deal on a well maintained bike that you find appealing then that is the best bike. It's your first bike so expect to have some mishaps that are inevitable.

Without meticulous service records I would steer clear of bikes over 20k miles.

Last edited by SV Mania; 04-12-2010 at 12:01 AM.
SV Mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #4
ziptech800

Bikes: '00 -N + '03 -S + SRAD 750 + TL-S chimera
Miles Kms: 48000 mi

The Curvy adherents like the Curvy, and the Pointy fans heart the Pointy... but beyond simple preference, here is my take on which to consider...

1gens have carbs. Not everyone likes to pull carbs to rejet or the analog/mechanical nature of them. I have tons of documentation here to make this easier... but you gotta not mind them. I consider my carbed 1gen as painless to own and operate as a 2gen... with a few exceptions...

Carbs need outside air pressure to act on the surface of the fuel in the float bowl... which means fuel loses its volatility and varnishes, as it's more exposed. The 2gen FI only lets fuel and air touch in two places: the tank, and the intake runner right before being burned -- so fuel lasts longer.

Carbs also depend on atmospheric/venturi pressure differences to carburet, whereas FI atomizes fuel mechanically under great pressure -- so there are no circuits to clog.

Moisture also plays havoc with carbs. Your float bowl vents on the SV are large-diameter tubes, and if the climate is damp (> 80% like here), condensation can form in the bowls (and tank), causing water ingestion and poor starting/running, not to mention rust in the tank. FI has the same things happen, but since there's forced atomization via injection, it tends to affect 2gens a lot less, esp since fuel exposure to air is less to begin with.

I have a 1gen here in the Puget Sound. All of my past bikes (FZR600R, FZR1000, YZF1000R) have been carbed, plus I'm a former tech. It took a lot of research, trial and error and plain work to get my 1gen reliable for this sloppy place, but it's pretty painless now. That said, I'd hop on a 2gen without even blinking -- they're not as pretty... but they sure are easy to live with. Other than power mods, an '04-on is what I'd ride given a choice.
ziptech800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
farquand

Bikes: Suzuki SV650
Miles Kms: ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSky View Post
Think more of carburated vs fuel injection. If you like messing with carbs get a 1st gen if you more practical get a 2nd gen.
What are these "mishaps" you speak of and how can I avoid them?
farquand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:57 AM   #6
ziptech800

Bikes: '00 -N + '03 -S + SRAD 750 + TL-S chimera
Miles Kms: 48000 mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by farquand View Post
What are these "mishaps" you speak of and how can I avoid them?
Here, and here, and here, and here...
ziptech800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #7
RandyO
Site Supporter

Bikes: nekid red 99-135k 07VeeStrom1k- 70k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziptech800 View Post
The Curvy adherents like the Curvy, and the Pointy fans heart the Pointy... but beyond simple preference, here is my take on which to consider...

1gens have carbs. Not everyone likes to pull carbs to rejet or the analog/mechanical nature of them. I have tons of documentation here to make this easier... but you gotta not mind them. I consider my carbed 1gen as painless to own and operate as a 2gen... with a few exceptions...

Carbs need outside air pressure to act on the surface of the fuel in the float bowl... which means fuel loses its volatility and varnishes, as it's more exposed. The 2gen FI only lets fuel and air touch in two places: the tank, and the intake runner right before being burned -- so fuel lasts longer.

Carbs also depend on atmospheric/venturi pressure differences to carburet, whereas FI atomizes fuel mechanically under great pressure -- so there are no circuits to clog.

Moisture also plays havoc with carbs. Your float bowl vents on the SV are large-diameter tubes, and if the climate is damp (> 80% like here), condensation can form in the bowls (and tank), causing water ingestion and poor starting/running, not to mention rust in the tank. FI has the same things happen, but since there's forced atomization via injection, it tends to affect 2gens a lot less, esp since fuel exposure to air is less to begin with.

I have a 1gen here in the Puget Sound. All of my past bikes (FZR600R, FZR1000, YZF1000R) have been carbed, plus I'm a former tech. It took a lot of research, trial and error and plain work to get my 1gen reliable for this sloppy place, but it's pretty painless now. That said, I'd hop on a 2gen without even blinking -- they're not as pretty... but they sure are easy to live with. Other than power mods, an '04-on is what I'd ride given a choice.

everything you said above is true BUT

1st gen SVs with carbs still start more reliably in cold weather than the primitive fuel injection found in the 2nd gen SVs
IBA#9560
A man with a gun is a citizen A man without a gun is a subject
RandyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:45 AM   #8
PureKovak

Bikes: First Gen SV650
Miles Kms: ~12k

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyO View Post

1st gen SVs with carbs still start more reliably in cold weather than the primitive fuel injection found in the 2nd gen SVs
this is just my experience but my 1st gen definitely doesn't start easier in cold weather compared to my friend's 2nd gen, of course it may have just been a weak battery on my part :-

that said, my 1st gen is built like a tank, never had a problem
PureKovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
acroy

Bikes: 03 sv650
Miles Kms: 11k miles

To the OP:

I faced the same decision a year ago. Ended up buying an 03, for the fuel injection.

If I had to do it over I'd look for 04 or up, for the same reason as above. The exhaust fitment is really not a big deal, a number of mfr's make exhausts to fit 03 with no issue. But the 03, being the first year of FI, is tuned very rich (conservative), and gets relatively poor mpg.

Suggest trolling the classifieds on this forum and picking up an 04+, hopefully with some of the common mods (frame sliders, suspension work) done. This is the most cost effective route.

Best of luck and welcome!
acroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
eclark53520

Bikes: k3 SV650S
Miles Kms: 22,150 @ 5/8/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyO View Post

Really?

I see people in here all the time with crank but no fire issues on the first gens...second gens, its almost never a crank but no fire....

The best i have is anecdotal evidence that i have witnessed between my bike, and others i know's carbed bikes...but from what i have seen, my primitive FI system still starts better than even newly professionally cleaned first gen carbs...

What physical reasons would there be for the carbs starting easier than the FI SV's?
eclark53520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement